"Phantom" or "Regiment"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To apply a logical perspective to it...

Phantom is an adjective and Regiment is a noun.

No one calls Blue Devils and Blue Knights simply "Blue."

Santa Clara and Garfield and Madison et al are locators more than adjectives.

It's really just something that's happened over the years, I believe.

which begs the question... why?

For quite some time, the organization had two (or three) corps.

Phantom Regiment

Phantom Regiment Cadets

Phantom Regiment Pre-Cadets

Many families had kids in more than one of the corps, and it became habit among them to refer to the different programs simply as "Regiment", "Cadets" and "Pre-Cadets".

Meanwhile, out in fandom, there have been a number of other corps with "regiment" in their name, but hardly any with "phantom", so fans have tended to use the more unique component of the name as an abbreviation.

from my own recollection, "Regiment" is the term used by the alumni and everyone else associated with the corps. Phantom is used by the phans. both are acceptable!

SUTA

Oops...looks like I've got to go back and edit a whole phriggin bunch of previous posts now. Wouldn't want my Phan card to get clipped a corner.

FYI...this alum alternates...I use 'PR' occassionally as well as 'Rockford' and, OMG! even Phantom. (Sorry, Nikk!) Kind of like the whole "Band vs. Corps" thing and the hate that was directed at Star by Rockford and Rosemont fans back in the day...I have a little bit of perspective now. And we don't call BD or Blue Knights Blue b/c it sounds too much like...BLOOOOO!!!

Regiment, schmegiment. Call it whatever...just recognize it as the best--then, now...ALWAYS!!

SUTA

edit: Oh, and there are/were several "Cadets," "Vanguards," and "Regiments." There is only one PHANTOM. (My biased $0.02)

Edited by silvertrombone

as is the g in Hrothgar.

i c wut u did thar... :laughing:

I've always used PR or Phantom. I guess I'll start using Regiment.

I used to use Phantom when describing Phantom Regiment. However, after becoming friends with a few people who marched I've started saying Regiment. To me Regiment sounds much more professional. With a corps (as much as it pains me to say it) as good as them, I think the deserve the respect. Regiment just sounds a lot better than Phantom. Phantom to me sounds a little uneducated ... strange I know.

....."Regiment" is the term used by the alumni and everyone else associated with the corps. Phantom is used by the phans.
Or often times not phans but just everyone else.

Much like Nikk, I've always used this as a way to immediately know if the person speaking/writing about the corps was ever actually in or very close to the organization. It's usually a pretty solid indicator. But see..... now that the secret's out, we could start having more imposters. And it's not quite as subtle to come right out and ask the person in question if they know what SUTA means. :laughing: