The Home Stretch

After a performance for the ages, Phantom Regiment will attempt to cement their first solo title by having their drum major kill the BD drum major in the middle of the Devils performance. DCI judges will automatically assume the move to be the height of absurdity, and thus the Devils will score 100 for yet another title.

I want Phantom to take the title. Will they? Maybe.

I want Bluecoats to move up a spot or 2 because I love their show and their on-field persona. (though I wish they would stop the narration after the opening set up. It works without any more talking after that point.)

I hope Blue Stars will be knocking on 8th place doors.

My big wish: Troopers in 15th (so I can see the show at the cinecast). The reality? 16th is highly achievable but we'll have to make our case with a lot of attitude - the proverbial 500 ton elephant in the room kind of case.

Wishes for 09:

No shows with narration. There was a 50% reduction of shows with narration this year, so let's just go all the way! :laughing:

Bluecoats start making a bigger move to knock on those top 3 doors.

Blue Stars makes a move toward top 6.

Crossmen keep building on this year and consistently field a World Class corps from Texas that doesn't look like it's going to fold at the drop of a hat. (no, they don't look like they'll fold - I'm talking about historical Texas corps attempts.)

Revolution gets a monster infusion of everything it needs to maintain a second viable junior corps from Texas.

Troopers retains tons of vets, attracts more mature new talent, works harder in the off season than they've ever worked before to gain ground in the physical demands of World Class competition, and fields an undeniable top-12 caliber show come June 09.

World Class and Open Class merge into one entity. (yeah I know it's not happening, but you said wishes so there it is.)

With one week before finals week arrives (correct?); how do you all think the season will end up in terms of finals placements, ups and downs of the season, surprises, disappointments, expectations or wishes for '09, etc....

Post away, gang!

on the whole ?......... same as it ever was.

They'll be a surprise here and there along the margins.

As far as something out of the blue.... a real shock ?

No. I don't see it. DCI is about as conservative as it gets usually from here on in.

BD is a lock for the title now in my opinion.. They would have to completely fall apart for the judges to allow Cavs, Phantom to catch the BD.

You don't win all these Regional Championships now, but then lose the Title a couple of weeks later.

Edited by BRASSO

BD is a lock for the title now in my opinion.. They would have to completely fall apart for the judges to allow Cavs, Phantom to catch the BD.

You don't win all these Regional Championships now, but then lose the Title a couple of weeks later.

Agreed. Here are the scores for finals in 2002. Top 3: Flip Cavies and BD & replace Cadets with PR or Crown and you have 2008. Cavies went undefeated and ended near 2 pts up at the end. Although execution is critical, it's about the show design. At this point the Wow Factor is wearing off of everyone's shows and IMO the judges will concentrate on the execution but keep in mind their original emotional impact from seeing it for the first time. Many may disagree, but IMHO (assuming the shows are executed to max) Finals is a show of appreciation for the entire body of the seasons performances. Their may be some exceptions (Cadets, 1998?) but in a dominating year like this, your point about a lock becomes very plausible, particularly if BD does the same in Allentown.

Saturday August 10, 2002

DCI World Championships

Madison, WI

DCI Division I Finals

99.15 The Cavaliers

97.30 Blue Devils

96.75 The Cadets

95.65 Santa Clara Vanguard

92.40 Phantom Regiment

92.40 Boston Crusaders

91.50 Bluecoats

91.00 Glassmen

89.10 Crossmen

85.45 Spirit of JSU

84.85 Magic of Orlando

84.05 Seattle Cascades

With one week before finals week arrives (correct?); how do you all think the season will end up in terms of finals placements, ups and downs of the season, surprises, disappointments, expectations or wishes for '09, etc....

Post away, gang!

There's a very high likelihood that BD wins.

Phantom seems plainly headed for 2nd place, given the rate at which their scores are improving. They are likely to win all or most of the music captions. The gap in visual scores will keep them from winning overall.

Cavies are going nowhere but down. They've been in second the whole season and haven't gained any ground on BD. 3rd is most likely, but could even be a finals night move to 4th if the margin with Crown is close at semi-finals.

Crown, Cadets, Bluecoats, SCV seem pretty well set to me.

Otherwise, I could see Blue Stars climbing to 8th.

I could see Glassmen falling to 13th, and Madison making finals.

I have no idea what's going to happen with the rest. The scores are close enough that there could still be some movement there. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the Troopers do wind up in 17th, if only because the judges are afraid of what Granny might do to them otherwise.

Cavies are going nowhere but down. They've been in second the whole season and haven't gained any ground on BD. 3rd is most likely, but could even be a finals night move to 4th if the margin with Crown is close at semi-finals.

Since this is (at least) the second thread I've seen your (exact) post or opinion regarding Cavaliers, I'm curious if you actually follow scores and recaps from show to show. Not trying to flame, but really, are you one of those total haters?

Cavies have in fact been biting away at the BD gap since Denver. And the gap with both PR and CC is (after ATL at least) widened as well. And that is with introducing substantial changes this past week for the 'Boro and Southeast regional. More coming too beside typical cleaning efforts leading to Bloomington.

All the corps are incredible this year and in recent others, in particular in the top tier. I'd never count anyone out of contention. It will be all about execution and selling the total package -- to which, the Samurai production has LOTS of elements that are now just starting to get recognized whether one likes it specifically or not, moreso than other corps' packages. "Hope is not a plan"

They'll be a surprise here and there along the margins.

As far as something out of the blue.... a real shock ?

No. I don't see it. DCI is about as conservative as it gets usually from here on in.

Look at '04...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Since this is (at least) the second thread I've seen your (exact) post or opinion regarding Cavaliers, I'm curious if you actually follow scores and recaps from show to show. Not trying to flame, but really, are you one of those total haters?

Cavies have in fact been biting away at the BD gap since Denver. And the gap with both PR and CC is (after ATL at least) widened as well. And that is with introducing substantial changes this past week for the 'Boro and Southeast regional. More coming too beside typical cleaning efforts leading to Bloomington.

In fact, I do look at scores and recaps. They show me things like

July 12, 2008 - Denver, CO BD +0.525

July 26, 2008, Atlanta GA: BD +0.750

The reason I say they've "gained no ground on BD" is because, in fact, they have gained no ground on BD in the last 2 weeks.

I'm not really a Cavies hater. I definitely liked '04 and '05 this decade, and agreed that they won in '06. I thought by this point last year it was clear that they didn't have a winner in Billy Joel. This year, I feel that (a) their show design is a rehash of previous efforts, and (b) they don't have the performance levels to win many caption. Thus my conclusion that they are going to wind up below two corps with better designs and better performance levels.