What Cadets could do ...

spotting trends happens to be one of the skills for which I am paid handsomely.

Did you miss the one where young music students are familiar and comfortable with electronics and voice in their programs? Where they are growing up in an enviroment where music isn't just aural, it's multi-dimensional and multi-media? Because if you did, you'd be hard-pressed to believe this is the creation of one man and his singular momentum.

Hopkins didn't invent voice in music programs. He just saw the future long before you saw the trend.

HH

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP, interesting idea, not sure I’d really like it any better knowing it was real…the entire topic and approach is kind of a turn off

The stage in the middle is a buzz kill, that’s A #1 prime real-estate and they do so little with it, I'd hammer them for that in GE

But really, aside from the show design, this corps is not as talented as we expect most Cadets corps to be….their drums are in 6th place, their brass is in 4th and I think that is a gift – if you listen to their encores on the site that shall not be named, you’ll hear so pretty poor brass moments. So it might be easy to harp on the design, I know I don’t like it, but there seems to be more to their placement than just design

Maybe they don’t get the talent they use to, maybe it’s a young corps, maybe they had bad weather…

Did you miss the one where young music students are familiar and comfortable with electronics and voice in their programs? Where they are growing up in an enviroment where music isn't just aural, it's multi-dimensional and multi-media? Because if you did, you'd be hard-pressed to believe this is the creation of one man and his singular momentum.

Hopkins didn't invent voice in music programs. He just saw the future long before you saw the trend.

HH

keep drinking the kool-aid.

spotting trends happens to be one of the skills for which I am paid handsomely.

Based on my observations here and employing the same "leap of logic" style, I sense you may be overcompensated for this "skill." :huh:

hopkins, tom aungst, april, sully, steve kieffer, bill speakman, jeff sacktig has 6, etc. what's your point?

Staff, staff, staff, staff, staff, staff, staff ..... that's my point. They had a very successful and winning formula for so long, but your point seems to advocate abandoning that formula and going off on some wild tangent that many people don't even feel is legitimate drum corps. That's staff driven, not member driven.

who cares? winning is so unimportant to the mission of the cadets that this is immaterial.

Of course. Case in point: wholesale changes in storyline based on judge feedback. GH lamenting on All Access about going on 6th to last, trying to get a better performance slot in return for a change in housing...

Edited by hughesmr

No, I'm not advocating loosing the talk show format ... Just making David Welch the center of the story. Switch the actors and announcers (the girl is now the announcer, the boy David Welch) and the radio interview idea works.

Ladies and gentleman it is July 28 and do you understand what you're asking the Cadets to do? I have seen this show from day one and it is nothing like what they put on the field in Toledo. ALL the changes were and are necessary for them to remain in a position to compete well at championships. Believe it or not George and his staff DO KNOW what they are doing. Do not count these kids out; they are that good!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Based on my observations here and employing the same "leap of logic" style, I sense you may be overcompensated for this "skill." :huh:

we shall see....we shall see.

The breast cancer story is rock solid drum corps. Stick with it. Next year it could be prostate cancer.

See, the Cadets' staff didn't even get the correct reference if you wanted to do a show with a cancer theme. They should have done the cancer that most affects drum corps members and staff. Melanoma/Carcinoma. Then the story would have been relevant to the drum corps community...with the whole "art causing people to think" message.

But they didn't. Couldn't even take this concept and make it relevant. 7th place.

The breast cancer story is rock solid drum corps. Stick with it. Next year it could be prostate cancer.

You do realize that the breast cancer thing was only part of the overall story, right? That's just basic comprehension skills.