Interesting change of events after reading 8 Atlanta Reviews

The best part of having opinions is that we are all free to have them. I respect yours, and here's mine: When you say "too much running" without explaining it, is a little like saying "too much cowbell". Running completely around formations at full speed into sets that are timed perfectly and backing into positions or entering blindly requires extreme accuracy and timing. Doing this seemingly randomly and symulaneously while other manuvers are occuring elsewhere or within a larger movement is part of the difficultly and unique flavor of the show. Large, slow (or fast) moving straight leg (or bent leg) marching (like many corps are doing this year) is fine and it is safe and warm and what has always been done. When you risk absurdity, you risk challenging the norm and those that have marched in the classic ways. Many reviewers when they first saw the BD show were left with their jaws dropped and overwhelmed (too much to see), since then they have been able to see some of the things they missed. It's like seeing Circue du Soleil for the first time, you leave drained from sensory overload, but after you bring friends and see it 4 or 5 times you know what's coming and are able to look elsewhere and see new things.

There are several awesome shows this year (some of which you mentioned) but only one that pushes the boundries. It is clearly a championship show.

Yep, we are certainly all entitled to our own opinion....some of us will love a show that others dislike, thats what is so great about Drum Corps I guess!

Anyway, I understand what you mean about the difficulty of running. And yes, this does require a big of skill....but at the same time, much of the running in the BD show is just running...quick sprints from one place to another while holding the horn down. I'm not saying this is a bad show...I certainly enjoyed it. But I don't think it is the championship show this year...that, IMO is Phantom's. You could just tell it from start to finish, by the crowd, by the sound, by the power that they put on that field.

Last year, BD had the championship show, IMO....this year, I just don't feel it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (cadetzoid @ Jul 28 2008, 02:10 AM)

Atlanta Review

I think than when it comes down to picking a champion between BD, Regiment, or Cavies, I ask myself: Which group do I most want to see again? Which group represents amazing drum corps with a show that is different from everyone else? Which group represents the true essence of the visceral experience in art? In addition, what group is achieving the near impossible at the highest percentage of the show? As of Atlanta, I am thinking PR fits all of these question best. I also know from following the activity since 1980, some drastic changes can take place in two weeks. Best of luck to all.

The above is a great frame of mind when considering championship criteria (as I applauded the OP on the Review thread itself).

QUOTE (cadetzoid @ Jul 28 2008, 02:10 AM)

Atlanta Review

I think than when it comes down to picking a champion between BD, Regiment, or Cavies, I ask myself: Which group do I most want to see again? Which group represents amazing drum corps with a show that is different from everyone else? Which group represents the true essence of the visceral experience in art? In addition, what group is achieving the near impossible at the highest percentage of the show? As of Atlanta, I am thinking PR fits all of these question best. I also know from following the activity since 1980, some drastic changes can take place in two weeks. Best of luck to all.

The above is a great frame of mind when considering championship criteria (as I applauded the OP on the Review thread itself).

It is. And we're all destined to have different answers.

Which group do I most want to see again?

Toss-up. BD, Cavs, Pr, Crown.

Which group represents amazing drum corps with a show that is different from everyone else?

BD. I've seen PR shows like "Spartacus" before. But no one -- not even BD -- has done anything like what BD is doing this year.

Which group represents the true essence of the visceral experience in art?

BD and PR.

What group is achieving the near impossible at the highest percentage of the show?

PR. By a hair.

To the list, I would add these:

Which corps has the most seamless, least clunky and most thoughtful design?

For me, BD.

Which corps is setting the standard for the next 10 years?

BD and PR.

If Cavies can clean their mello line, they can win.

If Regiment can max out their guard, they can win.

BD is going to plateau at a very high place. They will be difficult to pass, regardless.

That's what I saw and heard Friday.

I just finished reading the 8 reviews from Atlanta posted so far and 1 from the day earlier and it was interesting to me that so many people had really good things to say about both Phantom and Cavies. Considering that so many people on here were declaring another BD championship and the demise of Cavies for this season, what happened?

Did Cavies put a new ending in this week? Is it ALOT better? Is BD peaking? We all know Phantom's show is very emotional, what have they done to add even more to their great show?

What I'm thinking is that it's going to come down to the wire and our champion for this year will NOT be BD. I think it will be Cavies or Phantom.

Wth all due respect to reviewers, they express their likes and dislikes, and so forth. But they have absolutely no influence on scoring or placement.

I havn't seen a single post that spoke to " the demise of the Cavs for this season ".

That said, no Corps has closed the gap sufficiently yet on BD to the degree they need to consider themselves a serious threat to BD.

DCI judging in this era is as conservative a fraternity as it gets to scoring and placement at the the very top.

Cavs and/ or Phantom HAVE to beat BD before these Corps get to the Championships.

There is no way ( my opinion here ) that the judges throw the Regional Champion in ALL the Regionals overboard come the Finals.

Allentown is these Corps Waterloo. If BD is undefeated coming out of there, BD is your 2008 DCI Champion ( again, just my opinion here )

Edited by BRASSO

Cavs and/ or Phantom HAVE to beat BD before these Corps get to the Championships.

There is no way ( my opinion here ) that the judges throw the Regional Champion in ALL the Regionals overboard come the Finals.

Allentown is these Corps Waterloo. If BD is undefeated coming out of there, BD is your 2008 DCI Champion ( again, just my opinion here )

there have been multiple years where a corps was undefeated going into finals and then lost it.

there have been multiple years where a corps was undefeated going into finals and then lost it.

But not in the modern era and with Regionals playing a more prominent role now in the shortened seasons.

Corps that win ALL the Regional Championships now, win Finals.

But I do acknowledge that in earlier decades of DCI, that Corps coming into Finals week undefeated have lost on a few occasions.

What has changed? BD is still winning and not just by a couple of tenths. The spreads are going to get closer as the scores are already too high for everyone IMHO. Last year at this time the spread between the top 3 was 3 tenths of a point.

Poor BD doesn't get much love on DCP

BD does not get too much love here as a 12 time champion. I do agree on that. Last year doesn't matter too much in regards to this year. I keep hearing how clean BD is, and as other corps clean to the same level, many people see a potential in their shows that they may not see in BD. Phantom and Crown are DCI darlings this year ( well deserved, btw). Cavies, just added a new ending that the reviewers that I've seen think is really great. Some of us are seesing a "shift" from a couple of weeks ago in people's perceptions of the shows that will probably be reflected in the last scores of the season. No bashing here, just an observation after reading what other people think about the shows we're discussing here. :huh:

Edited by jjeffeory