What happened to Bloo?

Let me get this straight.

Blooo's show is predictable, because you've seen Rocky.

Phantom's show is UNpredictable,... because you haven't seen Spartacus.

I don't get it. The value of the show, dramatically speaking, is directly related to how ignorant you are of the subject matter coming into the experience?

So, Blooo's show would be better if the ''Hero'' loses at the end, because that would be less predictable (and coincidentally, much closer to the actual plot of Rocky, where correct me if I'm wrong, he loses)?

The fact is they have a lot of stuff to clean, and there should be some transition time with a new visual staff and guard staff right? That stuff usually takes some time. Add to that the lack of veterans, a non-top-5 color guard in terms of talent, and in my opinion a drill that wasn't written at a level that lets the corps compete for a ring (not in demand, but in effect), and you have an excellent corps that isn't quite living up to expectations. I strongly doubt that they are losing points with judges or fans because everybody sees ahead of time that the Hero character is going to win in the end. Frankly, I think if he lost that that would hurt them with the fans.

i haven't seen any of the rocky movies (beyond a few minutes), my point is just that the show doesn't cause me to be as intellectually engaged as concept shows generally attempt to entail from their audiences. that's why i don't really like 'narratives' in drum corps, because if i don't care about the 'plot' (cadets 2008, for example), it causes me to be indifferent towards the show until a moment of technical brilliance stands out from the story. i'm not sure if i'm explaining this as well as i'd like.....just take my comments from after the atlanta show and lets leave it at that. i'm not trying to indicate that i don't want the best for the corps, because i honestly want becker, most of the battery (who've been shooting for a drum title since '05), and all of the other '08 ageouts to be as successful in their endeavors as possible. maybe it's just more so about the subject matter than anything else then, i dunno; i don't really care about the sport of boxing, the rocky movies, archetypal "redemption" stories, etc....so maybe i'm just disinterested in seeing it on the drum corps field for that reason? :shrug:

mitch rogers has been the bluecoats drill writer from 2003 to the present by the way, for those asking. the change for 2008 was within most of the instructional visual staff, not design (other than tim fairbanks not being on staff anymore).

Edited by Jared_mello

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the road right now with the 'Coats. The members are all in good spirits and working hard. I've been around for a couple of practice days and a couple of show days and can assure you that they are getting plenty of rest. I'm pretty confident about the progression for the next week and a half.

I guess it depends on how you define "plenty of rest". From talking with several members last evening in Columbus, it sounds like the corps has run on the "get up and practice" mode since move-ins. According to them, the corps gets up at roughly the same time every day on show days and on practice days which is 8ish (no matter what the length of the drive). This is no different than how many corps operate.

I think most corps sacrifice sleep and down time for the sake of rehearsal time. Aren't some of the most consistently best performing corps the ones where sleep trumps rehearsal time? (like BD and Cavies?) A well rested corps will easily get more done in a shorter rehearsal day than a tired corps can do with a longer rehearsal day. A well rested corps will also perform better at shows. Alert and rested performers do amazing things. Why don't more corps realize this and adjust their schedules accordingly?

According to them, the corps gets up at roughly the same time every day on show days and on practice days which is 8ish (no matter what the length of the drive). This is no different than how many corps operate.

I think most corps sacrifice sleep and down time for the sake of rehearsal time. Aren't some of the most consistently best performing corps the ones where sleep trumps rehearsal time? (like BD and Cavies?) A well rested corps will easily get more done in a shorter rehearsal day than a tired corps can do with a longer rehearsal day. A well rested corps will also perform better at shows. Alert and rested performers do amazing things. Why don't more corps realize this and adjust their schedules accordingly?

its very different than how the corps used to operate in the last 5 years or so, at least. sleep-wise, that is. we were always one of the most well-rested corps, to the extent of my knowledge. i always appreciated that.

corps like the cadets prove the opposite to be the case though, regardless of whether their members support the philosophy or not (i would assume not, but we might need a cadet member/alumni-only poll or something for that one). tired and weary performers can apparently do some amazing things too. :smile:

Funny, I walked by their schedule board today and it said they arrived near Pittsburg at 4:00 am and woke at 9:30! In fact I visit the corps often...last week they arrived near Lexington at 5:30 am and woke at 10:30! My other visit was in Atlanta where they arrived at 5:00 am and woke at 10:00! I wonder where some of these people get their information. At every visit they seemed well rested, focused, and excited. Too bad other corps don't travel as well.

They also have some new visual staff. I'm not sure if the technique the new guys are teaching is very different than what they were doing before but it could take the members some getting used to before they start seeing the fruits of the new system.

They also have some new visual staff. I'm not sure if the technique the new guys are teaching is very different than what they were doing before but it could take the members some getting used to before they start seeing the fruits of the new system.

It's the same technique that was taught in 2007 with a minor change on direction changes.

A rough year? I think not.

A very entertaining and well performed show.

A veteran filled drum line that is smokin'.

A hornline that has approximately 50 rookies that is playing very well and has one of the best brass moments in the activity this season.

A color guard with lots of new people that is really starting to perform well.

A sixth place finish at both San Antonio and Atlanta.

I believe they will surpass that illusive 90 mark in a big way Friday Night. Go Bloo!

Let's face it, the lack of vets is hurting them. You need that peer leadership in a Corps at this level.

I read in another post where someone was talking to a friend in the corps and there was an underlying tone of they were practicing too much.

Yeah, right. Practicing too much the week before finals?

Obviously this member has never had the experience of watching a show after the season and wishing they could have done something better.

The talent level is phenomenal but I'm not sure the desire or understanding is really there.

Time will tell...... but I don't think this year's group will like what it says in the end.

Wonder if the new vis staff wasn't what they thought, in addition to many guard just coming out of hs, the same as the new guard person, and rookie brass. Too bad for the battery. I think they will see what they had to miss out on. They were sick!