HOLY NAME CADETS to return in 2009

But if they wish to continue with the "testing the waters" shows, and with electronics coming next year, I wouldn't mind if they revisited Bernstein's Mass. Some trippy stuff in there that has never seen the drum corps field. Plus, Simple Song is just one of my favorite all-time drum corps memories.

I agree completely. It would definitely honor the corps' tradition, and there's a lot of stuff you could do with voice, amps & electronics that comes straight from the original work. You could legitimately say that those things just weren't possible in 1983 or 1990.

Edit: Also, I think Mass suggests a lot more visual design elements than does Appalachian Spring.

Edited by ShortAndFast

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the mergers and parish closings due to the priest shortage, this might be a mute point. Thee might not BE a Holy Name parish in Garfield anymore.

Gotta agree with the others - hearing that name would give me goose bumps.

By the way it's MOOT not MUTE.

If they bring back anything, my money is on Appalachian Spring. They've publicly shown interest multiple times in the past, and I think they may be considering a year of.....let's call it more traditional drum corps. If the name change means anything, that's what I'm thinking.

But if they wish to continue with the "testing the waters" shows, and with electronics coming next year, I wouldn't mind if they revisited Bernstein's Mass. Some trippy stuff in there that has never seen the drum corps field. Plus, Simple Song is just one of my favorite all-time drum corps memories.

Interesting you should mention both Appalachian Spring and "testing the waters" (ha!). Remember that among the rules going into effect in 2009 is the use of water. It wouldn't surprise me if Appalachian Spring featured, well, an Appalachian Spring.

How about in honor of our first REAL controversial moment the corps does the Peace Sign form? We did it to three wildly disparate music numbers the years I marched...

70 - White Rabbit

71 - Battle Hymn

72 - A Mighty Fortress is our God/Mahler's 5th

:smile:

Sign me up with the others that hope the show honours the name (i.e. sans narration, singing, electronics, etc) and just let's the talent shine on its own. If they do that I would be very happy to see them take the ring.

How about in honor of our first REAL controversial moment the corps does the Peace Sign form? We did it to three wildly disparate music numbers the years I marched...

70 - White Rabbit

71 - Battle Hymn

72 - A Mighty Fortress is our God/Mahler's 5th

:smile:

Better - how about a year with no Cadet's controversy at all. What will we all talk about then? Maybe we'd talk about how good they really are.

will they actually announce where the corps is from, as opposed to doing the "sponsored by youth education in the arts" (which i believe they still do)? if so, what location do you think will be announced? garfield? bergen county?

They changed it to "from Allentown, Pennsylvania"

Sign me up with the others that hope the show honours the name (i.e. sans narration, singing, electronics, etc) and just let's the talent shine on its own. If they do that I would be very happy to see them take the ring.

The name is best honored by remaining at the forefront of the activity...this includes any or all of those items you mentioned.

If they do choose WSS (and really, I'd rather not)...I'd rather they use some micced singers to portray Tony and Maria.