HOLY NAME CADETS to return in 2009

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"And now, Sponsored by Youth Education in the Arts, Drum Corps International is proud to present, From Allentown Pennsylvania, by way of Garfield, New Jersey, the Holy Name Cadets of Bergen County!" That's quite a mouthful.

Holy Name + Electronics...

I know...that equation is easy:

Holy Name + Electronics = Holy Cr@p

:smile:

They changed it to "from Allentown, Pennsylvania"

Last night at Warrenton, they were announced two different ways. Before the show began, when they were running down the list of corps which would be performing, the announcer (announcette, actually) did say "from Allentown, Pennsylvania" when she announced The Cadets. When they were ready to go on, they were announced as "sponsored by Youth Education in the Arts". She did not say "Allentown, Pennsylvania".

I don't care if they use voice or not...I want them to remain true to their history of leading as opposed to following, that's all. I'd hate to see them move away from that...some of their 'go with the flow' shows are among my least favorites...esp 2004, for me the weakest Cadet show in memory.

Voice is an appropriate element to consider in designing a show, so IMO they should keep it as an available tool in the box, even if they choose not to use it in any particular show. Any time I hear "Don't use this...or don't use that...or...whatever"...it makes me sad to see such limiting visions of what a great show can be.

STOP.

I never said they had to stand around and play malaguena or anything or go all jethro tull again. In fact, I believe I stated that I would enjoy seeing them bring back the Mass and go crazy with it using the new electronics tool in their toolbox. But let's be honest, some of their GREAT shows were years when they were simply doing their thing. Not really pushing any boundaries they haven't pushed before. Not really being the center of discussion and debate. Not really about controversy. Just going with the flow. And they still remained at the forefront of the activity and they were still completely true to who they were as a corps. Perfect example...1990. Greatest hits show wins the title. Was there anything earth-shatteringly innovative in that show? No, not really. Nothing we haven't really seen from them before. A reverse Z-Pull? Neat gimmick, but hardly something I would consider innovative. IMO, Zingali's Star of Indiana drill that year was superior. Musically speaking, we've certainly heard them play all of that stuff before. Not much boundary-pushing going on there. But were they absolutely and unmistakably "the Cadets"? You bet. Tremendous show! Deserving champions.

Secondly, I have absolutely no objections to the option of using voice in a show. None. Zero. I never said "don't use it." I am 100% in favor of expanding the limits in drum corps. I merely stated that it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to take a different route next year.

Better - how about a year with no Cadet's controversy at all. What will we all talk about then? Maybe we'd talk about how good they really are.

That would be NICE for a change.

At least the entrance should be from the left end zone and progress through the years including the z pull then end with something completly new.

All things considered.

The only words I'd like to hear spoken are " first we zigged"

STOP.

Secondly, I have absolutely no objections to the option of using voice in a show. None. Zero. I never said "don't use it." I am 100% in favor of expanding the limits in drum corps. I merely stated that it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to take a different route next year.

Oops....sorry. After reading your post I reread my reply looking at it as you interpreted it, and I can certainly see why you did. My bad. I really agree with what you wrote, but my post did not bring that across very well.

I just want them to be great, as I do every year....and as they almost always are.

Gee, I wonder if they go back to left-foot stepoff for a year! :smile: