One of the most creative shows this year belongs to...

LOL, I could really care less, as you do, I also live on the real world, how many of these" forthcoming slammers" are even leaving for Bloomington in a day or two ?? Its my opinion and I could care less if everyone agreed or everyone hated me for it, its just as valid as theirs.

Geoffrey

You have a nice drum corps too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this show very much...it was designed very well for this corps. On that note, this particular group of Blue Stars is OUTSTANDING! Give them some time and don't let them change anything and I see some very good things coming to the Blue Stars in the coming years.

Does anyone know who did their drill?

http://www.bluestars.org/staff/

The opening and closing of the show is brilliant, and La Vie en Rose is a gorgeous ballad. But the music in between these parts is sometimes seems like meandering and directionless "drum corps generica". The bicycle motif seems to disappear in these middle parts. I had a hard time picking out many of the tunes listed in their repertoire. Saint-Saens Third should be given a little more time at the end. Then again, I've only seen the show once, via webcast, so it's possible that I missed a lot. Look forward to seeing the Blue Stars again on Thursday, and hopefully on Saturday, too!

I think this show is really well designed, and hearing the description of it before the season started, I was prepared for a cheese-fest. It's not that at all, and while they use some literal elements, the use of color and staging is very nicely done.

Most of all, it is engaging for the audience to follow the action. Best part I think is right after the use of the handlebar flags, they take them and break into groups of racers "riding" with the handlebars, while the music gains intensity. Lots of clever twists like that.

The music is beautiful and sounds a lot like something you might hear during coverage of the race on tv. It just fits.

And..the drill is fantastic!

Compared to Bluecoats, who also take a literal theme approach, this show comes across as more successful. Not sure why..perhaps attention to detail in all the little elements? Even down to the sponsors on the bicycle outfits. They really thought through the concept.

Is the most creative show ever? Probably not, but is it interesting and enjoyable, with some unexpected elements? Absolutely.

funny you should mention that. i think their show is one of the LEAST creative in the activity this year....typical tarpon springs BS if you ask me. its the boston 2005 or 2006 show that never happened. listen to the ending of the ballad, watch the first G.E. visual moment (where the two vertical lines converge and a box is formed....it's only slightly different this year), and notice a bunch of other applause points that are essentially stock 2000's boston g.e. moments. i found the (generic) ending to be extremely corny and disappointing......instead of thinking "wow, what a great performance by the blue stars, its great seeing a moment like this by such a historic organization," the show is designed so people think "oh wow, that guy finished and won the tour de france, COOL. the race is over and that guy on the podium won."

i have the utmost respect for the blue stars and their history, and am genuinely happy they're going to make finals this year. my section leader from 2003 is aging out in their mello line this year. i loved their 2007 show and kind of think it should have made finals.....it was well-performed, and incredibly classy. this year's show comes across to me as the exact opposite (except for the fact that they're still performing really well). immature, cookie cutter, and unbecoming of such a tradition-oriented drum corps. shame. i miss the red plumes and other elements (HELMETS unlike any others in the activity) that made this corps so unique over the years. why was this stripped from the corps the year they're going to be in the top 12? i feel like its almost disrespectful to all of the members who stuck with the corps during the last 20/30 years and helped make them who they are now.

i still wish them the best though. just wanted to contribute my opposing thoughts on the subject.

also, really serious question......isn't the blue stars logo the star of david (jewish star)? why do they make a regular star at the end of their show? i'm assuming its a reference to the corps itself, so what's the deal? is it supposed to be a nod to star of indiana too or something?

i think the most creative shows this summer belong to the blue devils and phantom regiment, personally. detail is one word that pretty simply explains why i feel that way....plus the blue devils really unique approach to visual design this summer.

kevin ford (boston 2000....maybe 01? to 2005) wrote the blue stars drill, and it looks like it. frank sullivan (blue stars 06-07, and boston 04) wrote the horn book. that's why a lot of moments in the show are similar to boston 04, especially the ending. i do like the source material a lot though.....the arrangements are alright this year; i actually liked last year's more though. i can't find most of the original pieces of music referenced anywhere in the show, unfortunately. again, much respect, but these are my opinions.

Edited by Jared_mello

Yeah, I'm loving the Blue Stars' show from Faure's Pavane for warmup right through the end. It's one of the few shows that I'll be listening to on CDs this year, along with BD, Phantom, Crown, and BK.

(I'm really hoping the Blue Stars warmup is actually on the recordings).

Yes, the handlebar flags were used by Alliance of Miami winterguard in 1993, however the guard designer from Blue Stars was also on their staff. I would not consider the idea stolen if the idea came from the same person. Michaal Shapiro has taken his original idea and expanded and improved on it with the Blue Stars.

Go Blue Stars!!! FCO!!!

I disagree. I have INT on top followed closely by (almost like something out of the corner of your eye), The Stealthmen.

Sadly, I think its no better than a decen class "A" winterguard show. Too much prop and not enough dubstance. Too literal and amateurish.

IMO

Geoffrey

I cringed at this comment and was wondering what travesty your Allentown Blue Stars review might be, but I congratulate you on its balance.

I don't agree with all of it, but I'm pleased that the Blue Stars are once again in a position where tough criticism is aimed the corps' way instead of pats on the head.