Wait..WHAT?!?!?!

You get something close to a tie. You're taking the competitive decision out of the hands of everyone and to the visual/music performance guys. For the most part, the GE guys are accurate, but when you get up high and the numbers start getting tight, one guy giving a 19.8 and a 19.7 and the other guy giving a 19.7 and a 19.8....there is little room for division between the top corps.

in response to the bold... did you see tonights GE scores?

19.8 vs 19.7 could have made star won and cadets lose... it shouldnt be up to one judge to decided what happens with 20 whole points...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Potatoes vs PoTAHtoes man..

Crowd response isnt what the SCORING is about. Its why we are there! we should all route on our favs and of course its a bummer if it doesnt go our way,

but if crowd noise wins it, then we have to take away alot of former champs. We need to get VK in here and give them they 5 or 6 world championships medals... especially 1992.

Hell, in my 14 years of watching drum corps, my very favorite corps has only won like 3 or 4 times.

Much of the time, my favorite has been in the 3-8 range.

Doesnt make those winners rediculous.

If that were the case, the band from the movie "Drumline" can beat ANYONE we saw tonight.

GE= General Effect. Who is this for? Only the judges? NO! Phantom Regiment obviously had a greater effect on the audience than Blue Devils. (granted, I wasn't in the stadium, so I am going off of what I could hear in the theater) The crowd went crazy for the last minute or so of Phantom's show.

Crowd reactions have a LOT to do with GE. How do you measure it? Just by your own reactions? Isn't that pretty limited? The judges have to take into account the reaction of the audience. It was funny to see the visual judge dance around that exact question that was posed to him...He didn't really say, so this makes me wonder if the judges are taking the audience into account in the scores.

Yeah, I know about VK and audiences. I watched them for many, many years. I know we can't judge solely on the audience's reactions, but c'mon...you have to factor that in somewhere...it's just ridiculous to me. It was very clear that everyone in the theater I attended (In Oklahoma City) wanted Phantom Regiment to win it all. I didn't think they would because they have way too much dirt visually, unfortunately. I still hope they can pull out a win somehow because they have such a great show and it made me and everyone in the theater react with great emotion and we loved every second of it. Anyway, I'm tired of debating this. We will have to agree to disagree.

Isn't it funny for as much as we hear simultaneous responsibility and in terms of GE, the marriage between music and visual yet many corps seem to lopside effects...

Big vis effect while barely playing anything...

Big music effect while barely moving...

Should corps who d a 50/50 split get the same kind of credit for demonstrating a higher amount simultaneous responsibility?

"If that were the case, the band from the movie "Drumline" can beat ANYONE we saw tonight."

Totally ridiculous comment. :peek:

:smile::peek::smile: .........

Edited by LSU GRAD 82

Notice though, how one judge gave them a 19.5, and the other an 18.6 ???? that is nearly a whole point! And since it is averaged, came out at 19.05. If the other judge scored them even 19.4, they would have been about tied with Cavaliers for overall points.

One normal judge, one TOUGH judge.

See the Visual scores? PR places consistently 4th or 5th every competition. They have to do a lot better than that if they want to win.

I dont see it happening this year, although I'd love to see PR win it all.

I disagree, the spread to Phantom is only due to start time placement. Without that they would be at or above the other corps (IMO)

This is Phantoms to lose. The way I see it...

Semi...Cavies, Phantom, BD

Finals...Phantom, BD, Cavies

I couldnt agree more with your semi finals/finals predictions! PR has a good shot and the spread is very doable with the time that they go on tonight as compared to quarters. The flip side to this is that if Cavies take Devils in Semi's it will make them the favorite to win it all as every corp that places first in semi's *almost always wins finals.

*1 or 2 exceptions (Regiment '96 being one of them)

I am so sick of people crying every year when Regiment is getting beat. As usual, all the Phantom Kool-Aid drinkers are in here crying and bashing BD as they do every year.

Phantom will probably not win this year, it will more than likely be BD again. BD's whole show is amazing. They move better than anyone else, they have the best brass line, playing the hardest show, and their show is put together incredibly well. I am not taking anything away from Phantom, Cavies, or anyone else.

Even if Phantom did get a better crowd response, who cares. With that arguement, Madison should have won 1995, 1996, and 1997 (just to name a few). But crowd response doesn't = CLEAN!

I have nothing against the Regiment. I enjoy their corps, and always have. But if heaven forbid Regiment beats BD, I am not going to cry about it and start bashing Phantom. If Phantom wins, good for them. But seriously, can we stop the whining??