Best drill for 2008

Melodical . . . a new word . . . but I like it! :smile:

LOL, just to give you a better type of description of what Im getting at, check out 2000 Cavaliers, it is the perfect example of visual enhancing the music, it fits so well, its melodical to the eyes !!

Geoffrey

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too love Vanguard's drill, but I also wonder if it is cleanable. There are many blind moves that last for quite a while and I think that is one of the big reasons they are so dirty. So should a great drill be creative and clean or just creative?

...it isn't the "best" drill if you can't get it clean in the time allowed. *Everybody* has to have their time: Horns,Drums,Guard, Ensemble Music, and Drill. As a writer you have to consider what you're writing (content/velocity) versus the time you have to work it. You have to *teach* it, monitor the process of when the playing part locks to produce the muscle memory, and *clean* it. I've done a little of this over the last 40-odd years and it's a hard nut. I believe SCV's drill was a bigger problem than solution...remember, the cap head did Cavies before, so has great experience cleaning complex drill. I think he was handed an impossible task. Personally I liked Crown's drill for doability (of course Cavies are in there, too), BD did what they do so well but the "absurdity" to me created unnecessary clutter, Phantom had an impressive effort and only a deadish middle hurt from a writing standpoint and here's to Blue Stars for a super creative and well thought-out *almost*...if I had to pick a favorite, I think it'd be them.

cg

1. The Cavaliers

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Blue Stars

Pete Weber drill is different than anything I've ever seen. You can see his influences yet the drill is unique to him alone. That's why Vanguard gets my most creative.

Cavaliers get my vote for best performed drill. The detail and how everything just flowed so well.

Cavaliers get my vote. Vanguard in second.

Best drill? Phantom Regiment.

Because...the the drill logically fit the music, and allowed the music to be expressed to the max.

What a concept, eh? :worthy:

VANGUARD!

Yes it is dirty, at times it's filthy dirty, but considering the musical repertoire is mediocre at best, the drill creates high and low impacts to what could be a musically mundane show!

Really?

I found SCV's music to be outstanding this year.

If they'd been cleaner, they would've been a contender.

BD had my favorite drill this year. Equally important to how well the drill "tells the story," etc. is, to me, how well the drill stages the elements of the show. BD's staging is usually the best, especially when it comes to guard. The absurdity theme really allowed them to be adventurous. Their visual GE scores were definitely not a mistake this year.

SCV would be a close second. As soon as they figure out how NOT to keep their flags way backfield for most of the show, they'll be golden.

Edited by saxfreq1128

...it isn't the "best" drill if you can't get it clean in the time allowed. *Everybody* has to have their time: Horns,Drums,Guard, Ensemble Music, and Drill. As a writer you have to consider what you're writing (content/velocity) versus the time you have to work it. You have to *teach* it, monitor the process of when the playing part locks to produce the muscle memory, and *clean* it. I've done a little of this over the last 40-odd years and it's a hard nut. I believe SCV's drill was a bigger problem than solution...remember, the cap head did Cavies before, so has great experience cleaning complex drill. I think he was handed an impossible task. Personally I liked Crown's drill for doability (of course Cavies are in there, too), BD did what they do so well but the "absurdity" to me created unnecessary clutter, Phantom had an impressive effort and only a deadish middle hurt from a writing standpoint and here's to Blue Stars for a super creative and well thought-out *almost*...if I had to pick a favorite, I think it'd be them.

cg

I COMPLETELY argree with this post. This is also one of the big reasons that the word "demand" is not its own caption or mentioned on the sheets. It must be designed to be clean otherwise it is not the best design. If I remember correctly, back in the mid 80's (I think 84-85) demand was on the sheets and many corps were trying to march and play things that were way beyond their capabilities. Some very cool but very dirty shows those seasons. (Even at the top) That is where derived achievement came into being.

I think Pete Weber is extremely creative and young. He will quickly figure out what his corps can and cannot clean and this season for Vanguard will be a major stepping stone in his development. Keep up the amazing work.