Blue Stars make DCI History

You're close - Spirit's first competitive season was 1977 (they weren't fledgling, they were new) and they finished 21st. In their 2nd season (1978) they finished 6th.

Congratulations Blue Stars. I think this may be the first time in their history that they have broken 90.

Thanks for the correction. I am a little smarter now than I was before.

You and one or two others have pointed out that I was trying to put Spirit on the field a year sooner than they appeared. I first knew of Spirit when I saw them on the 1979 PBS telecast.....my first exposure to drum corps ever......and didn't see them live until 1980.

I was, for the record, hooked on drum corps from the very start wearing out the vinyl on my 1980 DCI albums.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blue Stars deserve all the accolades being given them.

If you want to take the rapid improvement topic even further you could mention the 1976 Bridgemen, who took 6th at DCI finals. The previous year they didn't even go to DCI, and once lost to the PAL Cadets during the '75 season. PAL took 37th at DCI that same year.

My first semis and finals and my first Blue Stars shows this year - heartiest congrats on a stellar season and a thoroughly entertaining show. Le Tour was so much fun to watch - I can imagine it was an absolute hoot to perform. :worthy:

And this one kind of predates me but the fledgling Spirit of Atlanta went from like 21st in 1976 to 6th in 1977. People that heard that corps said they were incredibly loud.

Another poster noted that 1976 was Spirit's first year in existence. In 1977, the corps placed 23rd (according to corpsreps.com), then vaulted all the way to sixth place in 1978 (up two spots from eighth in prelims).

A similar achievement, IMO, is Boston Crusaders finally making DCI finals in 1999 (going from 15th in '98 to ninth in '99).

But none of this takes away from what Blue Stars achieved this year. Congratulations on doing what very few corps have done! :worthy:

It's too bad the staff acted like classless middle school fools when the score/place was announced.

Thanks Downer Debbie. Anything else to add?

The Kilties finished 28th in 1976 and 10th in 1977. The Guardsmen placed 31 in 1975 and 12 in 1976. :worthy:

I understand there were others, noticed I said "other corps mentioned". Kilties and Guardsmen were not mentioned , until now.

It's too bad the staff acted like classless middle school fools when the score/place was announced.

What so a staff can't cheer their corps performance or final placement in public? Your kidding right?

Relax, pull the stick out of your #$% and enjoy the show.

Hey Blue Stars....way to go this year. I loved your show and how well it developed throughout the year. Now I gotta say this...Never leave Wisconsin! I don't know what the state would do without you.

I remember the Div. 3, the Div 2 and now the World Class Blue Stars. The Blue team has always been classy and took time out to applaud other corps in 2/3 as they left the field. Again, a classy corps that deserves the success you are getting.

Again, congratulations Blue Stars!!!