Let's talk horns

I don't think the horn makes the hornline. From personal experience and from my speaking with many BD members....Dynasty are some of the junkiest horns around yet they win MANY brass titles.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say it... Dynasty's aren't that bad. I'm in love with their new model .468 bore trumpet.

I honestly don't think the brand makes all that much of a difference. It's all about mouthpeice and playing philosophy. Look at Crown, Cadets, and Cavies. All using the same horns (Yamaha), but completely different playing styles, and they sound completely different. BD and Cadets sound more similar and they're using a completely different horn manufacturer (but a similiar playing philosophy).

I'll say it... Dynasty's aren't that bad. I'm in love with their new model .468 bore trumpet.

I honestly don't think the brand makes all that much of a difference. It's all about mouthpeice and playing philosophy. Look at Crown, Cadets, and Cavies. All using the same horns (Yamaha), but completely different playing styles, and they sound completely different. BD and Cadets sound more similar and they're using a completely different horn manufacturer (but a similiar playing philosophy).

I happen to be very fond of their low brass. I picked up a tuba through a friend of mine in PA, and I must say that I am very happy with it. Its the Dynasty 875 4/4 4 valve tuba that is currently in mainstream use by the Glassmen, BD, and lots of other groups. I also have, on loan, a Dynasty Bb euphonium that is just an awesome horn. Although I did have some complaints about the tuba at first, removing 2 inches of brass from the leadpipe solved everything, both in pitch and ergonomics. It is the most SOLID tuba I have ever played, and it is quite nice to play as a personal instrument. It's marching days are done, so I play it in concert bands and the non-marching Freelancers alumni corps where it can hold down a great bass sound.

I have played Dynasty's over the years, whether it be 2, 3, or 4 valve sopranos, baritones, contras, and tubas, and I am proud to say that I would give them an overall grade of A-. I'll take a tick or two off for the fact that they don't have the most perfect symphonic sound, and they aren't the most ergonomically correct horns on the market. But, for a solid, durable, good sounding marching horn I would be happy to buy an entire line of Dynasty's, and I'm also proud to be performing on one as my personal instrument. :thumbup:

I happen to be very fond of their low brass. I picked up a tuba through a friend of mine in PA, and I must say that I am very happy with it. Its the Dynasty 875 4/4 4 valve tuba that is currently in mainstream use by the Glassmen, BD, and lots of other groups. I also have, on loan, a Dynasty Bb euphonium that is just an awesome horn. Although I did have some complaints about the tuba at first, removing 2 inches of brass from the leadpipe solved everything, both in pitch and ergonomics. It is the most SOLID tuba I have ever played, and it is quite nice to play as a personal instrument. It's marching days are done, so I play it in concert bands and the non-marching Freelancers alumni corps where it can hold down a great bass sound.

I have played Dynasty's over the years, whether it be 2, 3, or 4 valve sopranos, baritones, contras, and tubas, and I am proud to say that I would give them an overall grade of A-. I'll take a tick or two off for the fact that they don't have the most perfect symphonic sound, and they aren't the most ergonomically correct horns on the market. But, for a solid, durable, good sounding marching horn I would be happy to buy an entire line of Dynasty's, and I'm also proud to be performing on one as my personal instrument. :thumbup:

NOTE: Although I DO NOT like the idea of Bb horns in drum corps, I recognize that the instruments currently in use are quality horns, and I felt that it would best fit my interests and playing style to choose a "contrabass" style horn. I have never really cared much for concert tubas. I have owned a few, and played more than I can remember, and I always felt awkward with the horn sitting just a little too close for comfort, and the sound going straight up in the air, to be mangled as the various ceilings saw fit.

I have had exceptional results in a concert band setting playing my Bb marching tuba, and despite their traditional feelings towards tubas, the directors agreed the sound was just fine. I also like the response when people who have never heard of drum corps see my tuba and wonder what it is. It gives me a unique opportunity to tell them about the activity and what the horn was "intended" for, but how drum corps and band have, to my disagreement, come together in a way where they can share instruments.

They crossed over to the dark side for 2009.....G corps I "know" of (please forgive me if you use G's and I dont mention you) SF Renegades, Empire Statesmen, Brigadiers, and So Cal Dream.

Brigadiers switched to Bb in 2008

I would put down a significant amount of money that if a corps that had been playing G horns made the switch with no announcement or chatter and the crowd was generally ignorant, you wouldn't hear any complaining. A great deal of the "Gs are x better than Bbs" is psychological. There is no magic about G horns that makes them loud. They were built more for projection than tone or intonation, but you could design any key of horn for the same thing; it's just a matter of changing priorities in modern brass teaching.

I agree. I knew it wouldn't take long for folks to try and steer this thread about different brands of horns towards "G bugles are better."

Lots of people listen with their eyes; they look at the compact profile of the Bb horns and say "no way." Were Cadets '07 or Crown '08 (to name a few modern day paint peelers) not loud enough for you old-schoolers?

peace,

Fred O.

Did you ever actually HEAR a good G line? Early 80's Devils or Madison? When will people ever realize that maybe those of who were around then actually KNOW WHAT WE'RE TALKING BAOUT?

Dude, why are you SHOUTING? Yeah, I heard all those lines, up close and in person - Madison '78, Spirit '80, Devils '86 - all those heavy hittters. And they all made my ears bleed, and I loved listening to them. But today's paint peelers can crank it too. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

Peace - no personal disrespect implied or intended,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

Surf uses Jupiters and they're beautiful (in sound and in looks).

Baritones in Surf use the same size mouthpiece as the standard expectation (6 1/2 AL)

Yes, I would buy an instrument from a Drum Corps because I know it's used but respected.

Surf uses Jupiters and they're beautiful (in sound and in looks).

Baritones in Surf use the same size mouthpiece as the standard expectation (6 1/2 AL)

Yes, I would buy an instrument from a Drum Corps because I know it's used but respected.

I would pay good $ to see a respected drum corps come out on the field for one show with real bugles.........just to #### people off...:-D