Let's talk horns

As far as I'm concerned the big, open bore sound of the G horns will never be matched by the current instruments.

:smile: and :tongue:

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH. You might upset some of the New Age Newbie Bflat people, most of who were still crawling around in diapers or not even in existence when G's were the big thing. They only know about G's from watching older tapes and dvd's. You can only really appreciate a good G line by hearing one IN PERSON............

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put down a significant amount of money that if a corps that had been playing G horns made the switch with no announcement or chatter and the crowd was generally ignorant, you wouldn't hear any complaining. A great deal of the "Gs are x better than Bbs" is psychological. There is no magic about G horns that makes them loud. They were built more for projection than tone or intonation, but you could design any key of horn for the same thing; it's just a matter of changing priorities in modern brass teaching.

In regards to horns, the new Jupiter horns are really raw. From what I heard, they are actually prototypes. If those were the actual horns, I would say Jupiter still has a long way to go before they can be competitive within the marching brass market. Yamahas seem to be the best out there as an overall line. I actually tried the King mellophone at Finals this year. I find them to be....quite amazing. I can only surmise the rest of the King line is good. Blue Devils have slightly modified horns from Dynasty. But overall, they aren't so bad. Other lines just have slightly better quality, Yamaha being less pricey as well.

In regards to mouthpieces, I am a mellophone player so I know only about corps' mellophone mouthpieces (and maybe a few of other horns). The Cadets use Hammond 6MP. Phantom uses Hammond 6MP as well. SCV uses Hammond 5MP. Bluecoats uses Hammond 6MPH. Spirit uses Hammond. Troopers use Hammond. Crown uses Curry 1TF. Cavaliers use the IYM. The Bluecoats actually have a full line of Hammond mouthpieces, top to bottom. Crown's tubas(baritones?) use Denis Wick.

In regards to horns, the new Jupiter horns are really raw. From what I heard, they are actually prototypes. If those were the actual horns, I would say Jupiter still has a long way to go before they can be competitive within the marching brass market. Yamahas seem to be the best out there as an overall line. I actually tried the King mellophone at Finals this year. I find them to be....quite amazing. I can only surmise the rest of the King line is good. Blue Devils have slightly modified horns from Dynasty. But overall, they aren't so bad. Other lines just have slightly better quality, Yamaha being less pricey as well.

In regards to mouthpieces, I am a mellophone player so I know only about corps' mellophone mouthpieces (and maybe a few of other horns). The Cadets use Hammond 6MP. Phantom uses Hammond 6MP as well. SCV uses Hammond 5MP. Bluecoats uses Hammond 6MPH. Spirit uses Hammond. Troopers use Hammond. Crown uses Curry 1TF. Cavaliers use the IYM. The Bluecoats actually have a full line of Hammond mouthpieces, top to bottom. Crown's tubas(baritones?) use Denis Wick.

As far as the Jupiter comments...I think you know not from where you speak. The Quantum horns are not prototypes. They are being sold by Jupiter today. The tubas are the cream of the crop....the eughs and baris would be next....I am not that happy with the sound of the mid and upper voices overall, but the bottom end of the Quantum line is sweet cream.

And please...hear them in person.

As far as the Jupiter comments...I think you know not from where you speak. The Quantum horns are not prototypes. They are being sold by Jupiter today. The tubas are the cream of the crop....the eughs and baris would be next....I am not that happy with the sound of the mid and upper voices overall, but the bottom end of the Quantum line is sweet cream.

And please...hear them in person.

I did hear them in person. I did like the low brass. The euphs have quite a pleasant sound. The upper brass need to be tweaked. As an overall package, I don't think it's anywhere near what Yamaha, King, and even Dynasty have out.

I would put down a significant amount of money that if a corps that had been playing G horns made the switch with no announcement or chatter and the crowd was generally ignorant, you wouldn't hear any complaining. A great deal of the "Gs are x better than Bbs" is psychological. There is no magic about G horns that makes them loud. They were built more for projection than tone or intonation, but you could design any key of horn for the same thing; it's just a matter of changing priorities in modern brass teaching.

You're Kidding right?!?! I know modern horn teaching is different somewhat but the whole G bugle vs Bb horns being louder is not all in My mind. They may not be "better" but they do project better and create a lot more sound all things being equal.

edit to add content

Edited by Perry S

There are, however, a few irksome things about their line (like why the Yamaha contra only has three valves. Seriously?).

Don't worry about that... I'm pretty sure a new horn is in the works. (I witnessed a design meeting just a few days ago.)

You're Kidding right?!?! I know modern horn teaching is different somewhat but the whole G bugle vs Bb horns being louder is not all in My mind. They may not be "better" but they do project better and create a lot more sound all things being equal.

edit to add content

I agree. At the atlanta regional a few years ago, a senior corps performed after the show and they used G horns.

There is a very obvious differnece in sound and projection. I would bet even the most novice fan would be able to tell the difference no problem

I agree. At the atlanta regional a few years ago, a senior corps performed after the show and they used G horns.

There is a very obvious differnece in sound and projection. I would bet even the most novice fan would be able to tell the difference no problem

Are you talking about the corpvets? If so, then yeah there is a noticeable difference. They were really putting out some sound this year. Do they still play on G's?