Cadets Classy Retreat

It can be frustrating at times, but sometimes kids are just that...kids. When I was that age I couldn't claim to be singing in the choir or serving on the alter either. When I marched alcohol was strickly forbidden, but somehow we always managed to get our hands on it. I don't think that Blooo will suffer any long term effects from the incident because they have excellent management who will address the issue. It's the old military adage : "A poor commander curses his troops for their failings, but a good commander corrects the failings of his troops."

What about the commander who, through their silence and complicity, appear to condone or excuse the behavior?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of the people who are excusing the misbehavior from a few corps last weekend either don't get it, or have forgotten.

Yup, I checked out the Cavies forum and am seeing a whole lotta tunnel vision there. The posting by Bruno addresses Phantom and Blue Devils, but says nothing about the Cadets incident. And then anyone who asks about it is told to check out Bruno's post, end of story. And if that's not good enough, get a life. Very strange. I would have expected more, something more along the lines of what Scott has posted re: Bluecoats. But if that kind of deeper reflection is there in the Cavies' forum, I'm not finding it.

In 1978, when the Santa Clara Vanguard won finals, the Bridgemen all walked over to shake hands and offer our congratulations to the Vanguard, who we all kind of dug as being cooler than hell but in a totally different way from us.
OK, when I was in Bmen '05-'06 I asked everyone about this, no one had an answer.

That night in Denver, one of the Bridgemen shook my hand then opened his coat to reveal Champagne bottles in pockets sewn in the liner. I declined saying we really couldn't do that. Then, as I remember it, he said,"What about this?" He held out his closed fist, palm down. I held out my hand. When I looked he had dropped two units famously described by Jim Morrison of the doors. I thanked him and those went in my hat band for later.

I wanted reunite with that guy, it was something I really hoped would have happened in my time in Bayonne. Maybe someday.

What about the commander who, through their silence and complicity, appear to condone or excuse the behavior?

As I'm sure you're aware, the military calls that a "code red". An unwaivering loyalty to the CO. It's why officers rarely get convicted at court martials. The prosecution can't get his own troops to testify against him. If this "commander" in question was complicite (which hasn't been proven in any way), I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that those kids clam up.

I don't think anyone is questioning that back in the '70s, things like alcohol, drugs, etc., were never consumed, no one was ever stoned while in uniform, etc. Certainly there were many cases of that, but I think this poster best describes the difference between then and some of the things we're talking about now:

You also have to realize the extent of what the Bluecoats members did. I guess I could concede to the fact that someone may have gone to retreat drunk and if that is where it ended, then fine. No one would have noticed, so no harm no foul. (I don't really think that way, but I'll play along) But where they crossed the line is when they started beating on other corps' drums, falling down and having to be helped into the stadium, smacking another corps' member in the @55 (while they were at attention in their own block), and throwing up on the field.

We can go on ad nauseam about whether being drunk, high, whatever in uniform is appropriate, but the larger issue -- and the one that concerns me here -- is how one's behavior while in that state affects others. Agree with it or not, if people at least keep themselves to themselves, then there's no harm done . . . at least, not to anyone else.

As a Bluecoat parent, alum, and fan, I am most certainly disappointed by any behavior that would cause shame to the Bluecoat organization. While is hard to know exactly which incidents reported on this forum are accurate, which are snowball, and which are just not true I think the fact that this is being discussed at all should be a call for corps directors and DCI to address behavior expectations and standards. I expect it will be a topic of discussion at the next DCI board meeting and at board meetings of certain drum corps.

This isn't like the old days. The activity is more under the microscope than ever before. Contest sponsors have lost housing sites because of poor behavior and poor choices by members and staff. Fans have left the activity simply due to experiences they have had walking by buses and trucks at drum corps shows or simply observing rehearsals with their kids. I shudder to think what would happen if Lucas Oil Stadium and Indianapolis Visitors and Convention personnel had directly observed some of behaviors and antics reported in this thread.

The standard of behavior both while in uniform and out of uniform while in the public eye (at stadiums, housing sites, rest stops, etc.) must be high in this activity. We can't be satisfied with the just a professional "Marching Music Major League" appearance that is seen during actual corps performances and an "anything goes" attitude at all other times. I think it is time to tighten up behavior standards.

maybe it's just me, but isn't it a bit weird to have a really lengthy discussion on Cadet's retreat instead of their show? Something is backwards here...

Yes, I agree. There have not been enough threads about the Cadets show this past season. :rock:

also... there is nothing on the Cavaliers board that address the member in the Cadet block that I could find. Just a bunch of FMM's who think everything they do is ok. disheartening.

That's because the alumni have a separate site that is not open to the public. It is being addressed there, and in terms that might hearten you.

That's because the alumni have a separate site that is not open to the public. It is being addressed there, and in terms that might hearten you.

I guess thats a good thing...but shouldnt the corps director be addressing it as well... As it is, in order to answer the people here, he would have to completely reverse his postion (if he so chooses)