Let's design "Holy Name" 's show for next year

Pretty sure the church dropped them like a bad habit in the 50's. Didnt they were white T-shirts for a year...and borrow the cavies horns to play (how in the world did they practice??)

"White "T" Shirts":

They did, in fact have a "Interim" uniform of "Aussie" hats, a "Izod" shirt and shorts for one season, then the "White Satin" shirts and white pants & shako for 1959. The Holy Name Cadets uniforms, which were the property of the Parish, were sold to the St Marys Cardinals of Beverly MA. The new "Garfield" uniforms were unvieled at the 1960 "Preview of Champions" show. The complete "Stroy" of the exit from Holy Name Parish is in "History of Drum Corps" Vol #2, as well as several pictures of the 1958 & 1959 uniforms.

If Hopkins wants "Holy Name" for 2009 he might think about a few measures of music from the late 1950's & early 1960's. Don Angelica wrote a great deal of that era's charts and some are quite memorable. There is even some WSS music... :tongue:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A full production of Fancy Free - that would be interesting - that creation will be 65 years in '09. A Lenny tribute and retirement party all wrapped in one.

George is retiring??? :tongue:

I heard they were going to do a 'Musical' production of West Side Story, no horns or battery - everyone mic'd, singing and dancing.

Seriously though, Cadets have amazing talent and a top-notch staff. If all they do is ditch 100% of the narration and do a traditional show, I'll be screaming my lungs off cheering for them.

Assuming, again, that Lenny remains the theme.... there was some Bernstein music done in the late 50's early 60's - Westside Story in particular. I don't see much beyond that. Given Bernstein's circa I'm not sure how much would have been done by drum corps pre 50's

Garfield did bits of WSS all through the 60's, starting as early as 1961, fyi...

You know, not a major Cadet fan here, although some years, like '90 & '93, I have been known to throw a baby, or two, in their direction. But there is one thing that I think would totally rock for the beginning of Cadets '09 show.

Before getting into Lenny, they should blow out the stands from the front sideline with an updated fanfare of "Shangri-La" from the '58 show. Guaranteed to bring the house down, even if only the Cadet Alumni and drum corps old-timers totally get where it fits.

Just my $.02

"White "T" Shirts":

They did, in fact have a "Interim" uniform of "Aussie" hats, a "Izod" shirt and shorts for one season, then the "White Satin" shirts and white pants & shako for 1959. The "Garfield" uniforms were unvielded at the 1960 "Preview of Champions" show. The complete "Stroy" of the exit from Holy Name Parish is in "History of Drum Corps" Vol #2, as well as several pictures of the 1958 & 1959 uniforms.

Look here

Look at the history tab under 1958 for the story.

Here is a pic of the guard in the shorts and Aussie on the site....

The shorts, shirt and Aussie

I'm sure you're not saying Bernstein or Copland are trite.

A corps rehashing trademark, seminal music from its past almost always comes off as trite to me.

I hope you're not saying Cadet's presentation would be trite????

"Best of" approaches usually are to me. Sorry if it bothers you. PR came out this year with a ton of brand new music, thank goodness, and if the Cadets do come out playing something other than App Spring version #54,678 or West Side Story version eleventy billion, for instance, then I'll probably be able to get into it. The Rocky Point rehash a few years back was again trite to me.

There are a whole stands full of kids that never heard these so-called "trite" arrangements. Just because we have heard them before in an earlier form, does not have to condemn a new generation to never hear them.

I'm speaking for myself here. Kids today are free to enjoy whatever they want, and I'm sure anything the Cadets put out will have plenty of fans whether I like the show or not. It's a little out there to say I'm condemning anybody to anything by saying any of this. :cool:

OK - I was wrong. Just checked the site-that-must-not-be-named and while the title says "2008 Teaser" it was recorded in 2006. Apparantly an encore number that year. My mistake - I apologise.

I have sacked myself.

It's all good. I love the fact that Phantom's director was on the fence about whether or not to do Spartacus for precisely the point I mentioned: he didn't want to take the old wine in new bottles approach to a Spartacus show. Instead, Spartacus was just the theme...the substance of the show was built from the ground up rather than based on trying to recycle music that was already a seminal production (twice!) in the corps' history.

Do people not go to the Symphony because they are playing Beethoven's 9 th again or because they are doing the Sibelius 3rd. Often they go for a different interpretation.

Quite honestly, yes. I might go to see a top tier symphony (say NY Phil or CSO) play some dead Germans, just because of the excellence of the performance. But I avoid all that material in my local symphony - life is too short for another average performance of Beethoven! I will occasionally go to see them when they do less familiar music or commissioned works.