I wasn't there this year (as I said earlier), but I'd be very surprised if the crowd had left Hurcs on the field after retreat. That's not the Kingston crowd I know. I suspect that a few ES partisans made their feelings known, but the majority of the crowd probably applauded the Hurcs and stayed to see them strut their stuff in the encore. THAT's the Kingston crowd I know and love.

We missed this year 'cuz my parents' 40th anniversary was this weekend. Sounds like it was a great show, once again. Here's to being there next year.

I wasn't there either .... but I think we should all be careful to not try to imply that Kingston is a hometown Statesmen crowd (it isn't) that showed bad sportmanship.

Kingston is classic drum corps town; a gem of an audience that is as savvy as any in the country.

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you know the boo's didn't mean that the people HATED ES?

Just kidding - really I kid...........

Can't ya take a joke?

I wasn't there either .... but I think we should all be careful to not try to imply that Kingston is a hometown Statesmen crowd (it isn't) that showed bad sportmanship.

Kingston is classic drum corps town; a gem of an audience that is as savvy as any in the country.

Right! Which is why I said that any booing came from partisans in the crowd, and most people probably stayed to see Hurcs' vic concert. Which is why I also said that I would've been surprised at anything else. So, no, I don't think that anyone implied bad sportsmanship on their behalf. (At least, I didn't.)

I also said that the crowd has adopted them as a "hometown" corps, not THE Hometown Corps. Since no current corps is indigenous to Kingston, NY, they could adopt all and every corps as they see fit. Some people have thought that Cabs or other corps have been embraced by the folks in Kingston over the years, so no, this is not a "Statesmen-only" phenomenon.

This show is located such that Statesmen's, Cabs', and Hurcs' homers could attend in roughly equal numbers, but this is also a show where many locals attend too and, as such, out-number the corps' homers. And, while they may not know a lot about the latest ins-and-outs of DCA corps, they know what's good and what's not, and reward what they like. And very frequently, they get it right, top to bottom.

Ditto on the aforementioned comments. I believe we were in the mid to high 60's for the horn line. WHAT???? No comments on Kerchner's added Post "Chorale" warmup of "B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B"?????!!!!!!!! That was the highlight of the evening for the horn line!!!!!

That's funny Rich.....thanks!!!! :cool:

Right! Which is why I said that any booing came from partisans in the crowd, and most people probably stayed to see Hurcs' vic concert. Which is why I also said that I would've been surprised at anything else. So, no, I don't think that anyone implied bad sportsmanship on their behalf. (At least, I didn't.)

I also said that the crowd has adopted them as a "hometown" corps, not THE Hometown Corps. Since no current corps is indigenous to Kingston, NY, they could adopt all and every corps as they see fit. Some people have thought that Cabs or other corps have been embraced by the folks in Kingston over the years, so no, this is not a "Statesmen-only" phenomenon.

This show is located such that Statesmen's, Cabs', and Hurcs' homers could attend in roughly equal numbers, but this is also a show where many locals attend too and, as such, out-number the corps' homers. And, while they may not know a lot about the latest ins-and-outs of DCA corps, they know what's good and what's not, and reward what they like. And very frequently, they get it right, top to bottom.

Dale,

Here we are, two guys who weren't there trying to explain what happened ...

I'm saying please don't imply that a bunch of Statesmen fans drove to Kingston and booed the Hurcs. I guarantee that is not what happened.

It's very likely there were non-partisan paying customers who voiced their opinions. It happens.

Again, I was not there.

Kingston used to have a junior corps show there in the 70's called the POW-Wow with your host The Kinston Indians

You and Jeff Mitchell marched there together back in the Johnson Administration days right? (Lyndon....not Andrew!......now THOSE were bugles baby!!)

:cool:

Edited by Dennis Argul