A Dark Nasty line wins high percussion for the second straight year.

LSU GRAD 82

That's two in a row for Dynasty. Last year it was Blue Devils and now Phantom in 2008. I guess it's the people playing the drums and not the actual drums that really counts. I noticed a lot more corps were using Dynasty this year. They can't be that bad. Any changed opinions?..........

Dynasty drums have been fine pretty much all along (with the exception of those dumb "wedge" indoor snares).

They have fantastic tonal capability, but i think there was just alot of questionable tuning practices.

Because they were the most affordable, I think we saw an extraordinary number of novice level drumlines (which are usually taught by novice level instructors or student run) using thier equipment and showcasing the terrible sounds.

I think PR and BD have a great ensemble sound with these things.

My only problem was the uneccesary weight of the drums. Even the snare drums feel heavy. I marched the 6,8,10,12,13,14 config in 2006 and they were so much heavier than the previous model, or the pearls i used to march on.

But they seem to have really fixed alot of that up the last couple seasons.

good for them! (still a pearl guy tho! )

t

....Dynasty drums have been fine pretty much all along (with the exception of those dumb "wedge" indoor snares)...

Hey, I have a bunch of those for a parade line. They work great and are light as heck. :cool:

That's two in a row for Dynasty. Last year it was Blue Devils and now Phantom in 2008. I guess it's the people playing the drums and not the actual drums that really counts. I noticed a lot more corps were using Dynasty this year. They can't be that bad. Any changed opinions?..........

Wow did you even hear Phantom's drums or are you just assuming they sounded like crap because they were Dynasty?

Phantom had one of the best drum sounds out there.

It was tuning and in Regiment's case probably the innovations Paul Rennick worked on with the Dynasty R&D folks. I had a nice crow dinner after hearing the fine sounds his team got out of their Dynasty equipment in '08.

--Rick

Isn't tuning on the musicianship scorecard..? (!!) Sometimes I think there should be more attention paid to this, (alluding to how techs crank down the heads in just a few minutes in the lot...). Equipment is one thing, not taking the proper time to do a good job is another. A small portion on the scorecard, but big on the ears.