Now That 08 is Over...

Yes it is

No way.... SCV 88 was better than 89! :cool:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. here's my list. I'll pick one show for each corps. They'll mostly be older shows, since I think it's good to expose some younger people to shows that defined each corps - at least in my mind. These are just my opinions, so I am sure some will disagree. But the following shows are just flat-out awesome, and old or new, any drum corps fan should appreciate these fine corps:

BLUE DEVILS 1982 - HOT! You have not heard a great technical horn line until you've heard this show. The soprano book alone for their opener (T.O.) is one of the best ever. One of the best soloists ever (Pegasus). One of the hottest numbers ever (One More Time Chuck Corea). And visually, a wide open drill, all-female guard that set the trend for class and style.

PHANTOM 1989 - With all due respect to SCV and their Phantom of the Opera show that year, PHANTOM's 'New World Symphony' program is my all-time favorite, and probably should have won that year. As one earlier post suggests, SCV was a bit sloppy that night (but still great!), although PR should have pulled off the upset, IMO. This is one powerful program that still gives me chills when I listen to it, much like it did every time I saw the show live. One of the greatest drum corps tunes ever is the slower, 2nd movement, which Phantom jazzed up and orchestrated to perfection. What a great, well-balanced horn line!

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD 1982 - they came in 2nd, but what a fantastic show! SLAVA is one of my all-time favorite numbers for this corps - I wish they'd bring it back! In fact, the entire show has such a complicated horn book, I don't know that I've ever heard anything as good since 1982! And they capped it all off with Appalahian Spring, then brought back the bottle dance: major timing issues made this sloppy, but who cares? By the time this show ended, SCV had brought the house down....still one of the biggest crowd reactions ever!

CADETS 1984 - okay, I am biased. I marched this year. But, I never saw the show live, and it took me many years to fully appreciate it. There are so many impressive musical moments to love in this show: how the corps starts with a soft ballad (Maria), followed by the Rumble, which ends at around 230 beats per minute (I think I have that right), the best mellophone solo ever in 'I Have a Love'.....simply gorgeous. Then the last loud note of the finale after the Z-pull. WOW!

CAVALIERS 1987 - really, I could have picked any year from 1984-1991, but this show for me is the ideal Cavies show. At a time the Cadets, BD, SCV and Phantom were doing their thing, the Cavies quietly came along and did things a bit different, and it was great. With a brilliant drill (and music to match it) that still leave me in disbelief, wondering how they conceived this stuff! 1987 was a great show, with big musical hits sprinkled throughout, and one of the best moments: taking up the entire field in a spead block formation at the end of the quiet section of Korean Folk Song. gorgeous show, and lots of fun to watch!

BRIDGEMEN 1980 - what could easily be lost when you watch all the antics of this corps during the opening 'circus' production is that these guys could f-n play! What a hornline. It is this show that got me hooked on drum corps! A soprano line with tons of range, baritones that played incredible runs (with 2 vales!), and one of the best drum lines in drum corps history, this show is non-stop fun. best moment for me is the end of 'In the Stone': the hornline simply blows your face of, with such clarity - and high notes from the sopranos.....one of my favorite shows to listen to. awesome!

MADISON SCOUTS 1983 - let's say you're younger (under the age of 30), and you can't quite understand why some older fans are so ga-ga over Madison - even when they place out of the Top 12. Just check out Madison's 1983 show (1980 wouldn't be a bad choice, either). Their opener (something-something overture) ends and disolves into Strawberry Soup, with ear-piercing soprano solos you won't believe! Then, Strawberry Soup keeps jammin until they hit you in the face again at the end with a powerful hornline and sop soloists that do not miss! The 'Cats' company front at the end of the show is a never-ending crescendo of volume that gets the crowd in a frenzy. This is one show that, if it comes up on my iPod, I have to hit repeat at least twice. a great, powerful, crowd-pleasing show!

SUNCOAST SOUND 1985 - Florida Suite. I really miss this corps and their unique sound. Florida Suite was an original composition for this corps. Although you've never heard this music, you love it instantly. This corps had a very talented hornline and great soloists. Fun show to listen to top to bottom.

STAR OF INDIANA 1986 - I know, they only came in 8th place this year. But it was just their second year in existence! Their 'Space' show fetaured drill by George Zingali and hornline taught by Donny Van Doren (now with Carolina Crown). I'll never forget hearing this corps play as we (Cadets) were approaching the tunnel at DCI Canada. we could hear the corps playing the beginning of 'Close Encounters' with something like 24 contra-basses! Then, the chord at the end was fantastic! **On the CD recording from finals: At one point in the 'Close Encounters' production, after a big moment in the song, you can hear George Zingali give a big 'HA!' in delight of his own drill move. How cool is that?

Edited by ross6200

89 SCV was NOT the best show of all time.
Yes it is
I'm an SCV fan and for the finals performance, no, it isn't. Love the show, but there were problems out there that night. Watch the DVD and you'll see them.
No way.... SCV 88 was better than 89! :cool:

ARGUER: Come in.

MAN: Ah, Is this the right room for an argument?

A: I told you once.

M: No you haven't.

A: Yes I have.

M: When?

A: Just now.

M: No you didn't.

A: Yes I did.

M: You didn't

A: I did!

M: You didn't!

A: I'm telling you I did!

M: You did not!!

A: Oh, I'm sorry. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

M: Oh, just the five minutes.

A: Ah, thank you. Anyway, I did.

M: You most certainly did not.

A: Now, let's get one thing quite clear. I most definitely told you.

M: You did not.

M: You did not.

M: Didn't.

M: Didn't.

M: Look, this isn't an argument.

A: Yes it is.

M: No it isn't. It's just contradiction.

A: No it isn't.

M: Yes it is!

A: It is not.

M: It is! You just contradicted me.

A: No I didn't.

M: Oh you did!!

A: No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

M: You did just then.

A: No, Nonsense!

M: Oh, look this is futile!

M: I came here for a good argument.

A: No you didn't. You came here for an argument.

M: Well an argument's not the same as contradiction.

A: It can be.

M: No it can't. An argument is a collective series of statements to establish a definite proposition.

M: Yes it is! It isn't just contradiction.

A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

M: But it isn't just saying 'No it isn't.'

A: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't...

The Argument Sketch :cool:

Edited by skajerk

You can't miss with the classics!

1994 Blue Devils.

Edited by BRASSO

glassmen 98 and 99. mellophones.

i agree with madison 83 by the way, that show was awesome. the opener was called colas breugnon overture. i think i spelled it right, but i dont speak french so i'm not too sure. strawberry soup/the soprano soloists were awesome that year too.

i think i'm going to watch bd '93 next time i log in to the fan network.

Edited by Jared_mello

I was just watching some shows this afternoon....and was once again struck by the wonderfully angry performance by Madison in 2001. Did that show have issues? Sure. Was it an amazing musical performance? Absolutely.

Check it out if you like powerful, in-your-face Madison.

1995 Bluecoats

1992 Crossmen

1990 VK

1988 Suncoast Sound

1986 Sky Ryders (Tied with their West Side Story Show)

5 of the best fan friendly and emotional shows to watch pure entertainment