Colts 08 ... Better than Madison?

I'll just make this short and sweet. After following the progress of the summer I came to love the Colts "Night and Day" show (this wasn't my favorite show of the summer but it was up there) and I feel as though DCI chose the wrong corps to perform on Saturday. The Scouts show wasn't nearly as entertaining or as powerful as the Colts show. I know there is another topic out there about corps that got cheated and this might belong there but I don't understand how a corps that got 3 standing ovations during semifinals wasn't a part of the top 12 this summer.

If you feel like I do put it here so those kids who put on the Colts uniforms know the drum corps community feels strongly about there show.

Or if you I am wrong maybe someone could explain to me the error in my judgement.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. that was some first post.

fail.

nope, scouts definitely deserved it.

I definitely disagree with the OP. Saw both of them in Buffalo, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the Colts' show (they had some of my favorite flag designs this year), I thought Madison was clearly the superior corps.

Look, every corps member feels strongly about his/her show. Otherwise, they wouldn't be marching. And if that were all the criteria it took for a corps to make DCI finals, then every corps would make be a finalist. That's why it's a competition judged according to certain criteria, and when it comes to the nuts and bolts of the technical elements that judges are assessing, Madison simply did a better job. And they're no slouches in the GE department, either. I didn't get to attend any championship week events, but certainly at Buffalo Madison was getting multiple big-time crowd reactions. So were the Colts, but again, Madison outscored them on the judges' sheets there, too.

Edited by byline

I'll just make this short and sweet. After following the progress of the summer I came to love the Colts "Night and Day" show (this wasn't my favorite show of the summer but it was up there) and I feel as though DCI chose the wrong corps to perform on Saturday. The Scouts show wasn't nearly as entertaining or as powerful as the Colts show. I know there is another topic out there about corps that got cheated and this might belong there but I don't understand how a corps that got 3 standing ovations during semifinals wasn't a part of the top 12 this summer.

If you feel like I do put it here so those kids who put on the Colts uniforms know the drum corps community feels strongly about there show.

Or if you I am wrong maybe someone could explain to me the error in my judgement.

Well, Mr. First Post, whoever you might be, I'll bite. The hornline was vastly improved from the beginning of the year and their show was very impressive in Bloomington. I'd put them over the Crossmen, but I don't know if I could put them over Madison.

I only remember one standing o during the show, and that was right after the ballad when the DM did his programed turn around and face the crowd move. Half the people stood because they thought the show was over and the other half stood because the first half did. I thought this was a cynical stunt all season and for me marred an otherwise very enjoyable show.

I think Colts had a very good "what" and an inconsistent "how."

Scouts had a very consistent "how" and not so good "what."

My preference is a better "what" than a better "how"

reading many of the posts on DCP, I get the impression that people care more about the "how" that the "what" and assume that all the "what's" are equal. They aren't.

Drillbook needs some more complexity and less down time ( IMHO )

My 2008 official ear-worm is the closing front while playing " Spellbound "

Hopefully Blue Stars 2009 will not be a repeat 0f Colts 2008

The Colts certainly have the talent level to be a finalist

Guard Designers- please do not dress up young males in Elizabeth Taylor outfits

I think Colts had a very good "what" and an inconsistent "how."

Scouts had a very consistent "how" and not so good "what."

My preference is a better "what" than a better "how"

reading many of the posts on DCP, I get the impression that people care more about the "how" that the "what" and assume that all the "what's" are equal. They aren't.

You're making this sound like a freaking English paper. Stop it, drum corps people aren't ready for that yet. :tongue:

I am a huge Colts fan. I thought their show this year was awesome as well. Up until the last 2 weeks of the season, I would have definitely put Colts ahead of Scouts. However, the last couple of weeks, something changed for the better in Madison Scouts show. It finally gelled. Colts, while I thought their performance was great this last weekend, I really thought Madison had a little better show than Colts did. I really didn't see the level of improvement in Colts the last couple of weeks as the Madison Scouts showed.

Now, how Crossmen managed to beat Colts I will never understand. I thought Crossmen and Spirit should have both been about 3 points back from Colts finals week.