Colts 08 ... Better than Madison?

Should Colts have made Finals? Yes

Should Crossmen have made Finals? Yes

Should Madison have made Finals? Yes

IMO, all three of these shows were Finals worthy. It just shows you how competitive this year was, and that it is once again a very tough challenge to make Finals. Maybe next year, we'll be talking about a 15th and 16th place show that 'should have been in Finals'. It just makes this activity that much more exciting and enjoyable.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, all three of these shows were Finals worthy. It just shows you how competitive this year was, and that it is once again a very tough challenge to make Finals. Maybe next year, we'll be talking about a 15th and 16th place show that 'should have been in Finals'. It just makes this activity that much more exciting and enjoyable.

Great points!!

Ok, given that, which two corps should NOT have made finals that did?

I hope the Colts continue in the musical direction they took this year. Great charts, great melodies! They just need a little more maturity in tone quality and dynamic range and they'll be smokin'!

I think they need a much more demanding show than they had this year to compete for a finals spot. They basically peaked mid July.

There seems to be this notion that it's impossible for one group, who was trailing another group for much of the season, to catch up and eventually overtake them. Geez, if that were the case, then why even bother having contests? Let's just start with the first show's scores, bump them all up by the same percentage and call it a season.

If you would read my post and the one I quoted and attempt to understand it in context, it might help. My point is simply that, given their head-to-head history it seems more likely that guard score at quarters was the anomalous one. Quarters was the only time Madison beat Crossmen in guard all season. Quarters was the only time they were closer than .6 in guard the whole season. .6 is a pretty huge deficit when you're talking about one caption score.

Ok, given that, which two corps should NOT have made finals that did?

None....IMO, everyone that made Finals deserved to be there. My point is we achieved what many people have been wanting for some time....something that apparently was more common 'back in the day' when more corps were around. That it is a BIG DEAL to make Finals...and even Semi-Finals. Just having a Finals caliber show isn't all you need....you have to have more. Even better execution, more demanding drill, better design, more volume, better sound, etc...

You're making this sound like a freaking English paper. Stop it, drum corps people aren't ready for that yet. :smile:

Agreed...way too deep for drum corps!

If you would read my post and the one I quoted and attempt to understand it in context, it might help. My point is simply that, given their head-to-head history it seems more likely that guard score at quarters was the anomalous one. Quarters was the only time Madison beat Crossmen in guard all season. Quarters was the only time they were closer than .6 in guard the whole season. .6 is a pretty huge deficit when you're talking about one caption score.

I understand your point, and I understand the context. But in sports, competitors overtake one another all the time. The Olympics are a classic case in point where the athletes you'd think would medal don't always. So you seem to be saying that, given the fact that Madison's guard trailed Crossmen for most of the season, they should have trailed Crossmen for the entire season. Or that Madison's quarterfinals score somehow doesn't count because it broke the mold. But that's not how competition works. It has its surprises, upsets, whatever, and this might be considered one of them. Doesn't make that score any less legitimate.

Edited by byline

Crossmen lost their 1.3 margin over Scouts guard, that's the only huge deficit I see.

Date

7/17/2008 Dallas Madison Scouts 14.7 Crossmen 16.0 Margin 1.300

7/19/2008 San Antonio Madison Scouts 15.6 Crossmen 16.5 Margin 0.900

7/26/2008 Atlanta Madison Scouts 16.2 Crossmen 16.9 Margin 0.700

8/7/2008 Bloomington Madison Scouts 17.1 Crossmen 17.0 Margin 0.100

8/8/2008 Bloomington Madison Scouts 17.2 Crossmen 17.8 Margin 0.600

8/9/2008 Bloomington Madison Scouts 17.10 Crossmen 00.0 Margin 17.10

There was no upset, as you make it sound.

All I see is that Madison's guard got just as good as Crossmen's

In my book, Scouts guard performance trumpt Crossmen's guard and helped push the Scouts into finals. They sold the show BABY~

Edited by Cop

All I see is that Madison's guard got just as good as Crossmen's

If by "as good" you mean 6/10s of a point and four placements down from them, sure. FWIW, at every other show that season there was at least one guard in between Crossmen and Madison score-wise. At Semis Scouts were 14th, Xmen 10th; San Antonio Scouts 7th Crossmen 4th; same at Atlanta, and in Dallas Scouts were 7th and Crossmen 5th in Guard. So yes, I do consider the quarters score to be a fluke.