The Matt_S Experience

IMO, one of the best reviews in DCP history

Agreed.

Matt, your sentiment is very similar to mine. While I am not an IU alumni, there is a connection. Living in central Indiana, the DCI-to-Indy announcement certainly pleased me for purely selfish reasons. When things got sketchy, I was only nervous until I heard they were taking the show to Bloomington. As I mentioned on DCP already this week, I saw my first drum corps show at IU's Armstrong soccer stadium in 1986. I made the jump to Memorial Stadium as a fan in 89. I competed @ Mid-America in 90 and 91. I brought my baby daughter back in 92 and 93. I never missed a single Bloomington show.

My weekend was packed with highs. Meeting up with old college and corps mates around a keg of Newcastle. Great beer, even better friends. Watching Bluecoats final rehearsal on Saturday. Alumni getting invited to sit inside the arch for the final playing of Autumn Leaves chorale at the end. :blink::blink:

When I parked and met Gorgo @ stadium parking on the backside, the beautiful weather and that view into the stands gave me such a powerful vibe. I just new it would be a memorable night. I'm going to stop now, as nothing could match your review. But it was one hell of a special weekend.

Edited by mingusmonk

This is the BEST review of the year!!

This is the best line of the year from any review:

"Phantom’s show shines because they refuse to underestimate the audience. Instead of spoon feeding you, they invite you to keep up. They challenge you to take it all in, and for that reason you feel more rewarded with each special moments of this show that you happen to catch. No wonder the payoff is so huge".

You are both so right: Phantom's show shines because they refuse to underestimate the audience.

Now my personal plea: Please, Hoppy, from whatever bunker you're in now, give this thought some serious consideration.

Great analysis, and thanks for sharing,

Karen

Thank you to everyone who wrote me kind words. Saturday night was so incredible, writing this review was very easy and very enjoyable. Hopefully you enjoyed reading it, as well.

My weekend was packed with highs. Meeting up with old college and corps mates around a keg of Newcastle. Great beer, even better friends. Watching Bluecoats final rehearsal on Saturday. Alumni getting invited to sit inside the arch for the final playing of Autumn Leaves chorale at the end. :blink::blink:

When I parked and met Gorgo @ stadium parking on the backside, the beautiful weather and that view into the stands gave me such a powerful vibe. I just new it would be a memorable night. I'm going to stop now, as nothing could match your review. But it was one hell of a special weekend.

This is one of my few regrets for the weekend. There were so many people at finals that I wish I could have met, certainly a great many from DCP that I would loved to have said hi to, you and Gorgo among them. There's always next year, I guess, back in my backyard again.

• 8 months later...

I just read this review for the first time... it brought me back to that night... the range of emotions I had that night... upset I was sitting in the stands, but by the end I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. I can't wait for this summer. Thanks Matt for the great reading.

Having heard Pee Wee’s Big Adventure played by the Marching Hundred many a time, hearing it played by the Glassmen in Memorial Stadium was pretty dang cool.

Having PLAYED Pee Wee in the Marching Hundred many a time, hearing it played was cool, but also made me realize why we only played a 45-second arrangement. :tongue: