Biggest Mistakes Put on a Field Since 2000

And for my number one biggest mistake - for anyone who saw it live:

Colts 2005 had a great show - and some awesomely bad props that ended up sitting in a broken heap in a UHAUL truck during finals week. Cool idea, it just didn't quite work out for them. Otherwise - terrific show.

I have to agree with you. Hours and hours were spent on trying to make those props work properly.....constructing the frames, modifying the frames, trying again, etc. Those 'postcards from the edge' never really worked out.

The idea for them was great and they looked really cool the few shows they got them on the field.........but you can't help wonder what that corps might have achieved if the time spent on the props had been spent in other ways.

Edited by notelvis

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets 2005...theme....

Music same different theme..

But,thats just me

You mean the 2005 Cadets show that won the World Championship that year?

The Cadets show that holds the all-time record in scoring?

The Cadets show that won EVERY SINGLE CAPTION and sub-caption, something that has never been done before or after, in the history of DCI?

Yeah, that was a pretty lousy show to put on the field, and should never have been done.

What was George Hopkins thinking? :thumbup:

Crossmen 2006 -- 10 pages so far and everyone has ripped apart the use of narration and no one (unless I missed a reference) has yet to cite 2006 Crossmen, which was a total disaster. The show design was straight from BOA, the narration was the most amateurish of any use of narration thus far, and the design and flow of the show was less like Changing Lanes and more like a Train Wreck. On a great note -- They’ve come a long way since then.

Personally I think this show was designed as well as the theme allowed it, and it's a really fun and enjoyable show. Unfortunately, the statement that I agree with you on is BOA, and that right there is the huge kicker for this show. It's fun and entertaining, but it's a marching band show in a drum corps world. Play it at a high school football game and it's going to rock, but on a competitive drum corps field, not so much. Great corps that played the heck out of it though!

The Cadets show that holds the all-time record in scoring?

Come on, be fair, it tied with Cavaliers '02..... but I guess the caption & sub-caption dominance merits a tie-break. Nevermind, as you were. :thumbup:

Edit: To contribute.... Cadets '06, the tables during the percussion feature. It created a situation where there was simply too much happening on the field at one time.... the battery was jammin though, so I just watch that show on that year's DVD on percussion cam. :w00t:

Edited by aNiMaL

Just my 2 cents but this not very appropriate and does not belong here on DCP....I'm really bothered by these childish statements.

Agreed

yea it got out of hand and started ripping on corps and other things. it went a direction i had not planned on it going. it went one way, when in reality it was supposed to be about things like cavaliers using ladders, or cadets having a living room set on their field. just things that made you go why? and then looking back saying that show would have been better had that not been on the field.

sorry bout that for those who have been upset by this thread.

NOT I HATE SO-N-SO CORPS SHOW IN 20XX...

"Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa. Don't forget to write your poor old mother" ....yuk ! I dont care if some respond with a " Well it was done well and it fit the show"...it doesnt belong on the football field in a drum corps show, it was terrible.

"Aqua" ...enough said

Cadets 2006, entire show

Cadets 2007, entire speaking

Cadets 2008, ditto

2005 Bluecoats, the silly drum speaking that sounded like Japanese tourists lost in NYC asking for directions.

"The beat generation"

"What happens in vegas, stays in vegas" (Thanks PC, we never saw the commercial)

"And we all know what a man is....." Poor Cascades

Geoffrey

The bluecoats thing is the only thing that i disagree in...

Put me down for the "Beat Generation". That whole segment ruined a perfectly wonderful show for me.

White rabbit should have been part of a pregnancy test and died before he hit the field. The singing was a lovely accompaniment to the brass ballad, though IMO.

Ladders, ummmmmmmmh NO.

These were, by the way, shows that I enjoyed immensely. Great demand and design. Great performances. Watch them repeatedly.

Guilt factor: I marched in a corps that used pom-poms extensively in 1978 <<shudders>>

Nope.. No dice. People who say such things are kissing butt and encouraging "designers" to go back to that bad place. Sure, like leg warmers, looking back, were awesome. Another bad idea. Move on...

NEXT?

My thoughts exactly

Some mistakes that come to mind....

Narration: Bluecoats 08 are the only corps that I haven't flipped out on for using it.

Crown '04: singing the music from Rent and then the horn line bailing out at the best part of Bohemian Rhapsody. They had a great hornline otherwise.

The white rabbit....and the red....whatever you call it.

and Sarah Jones.

I think INT's show EVERY YEAR has been a mistake...

All their drill comprises of is a bunch of LONG LINES.

It kills me, plus every year its about bad food. Why not try a different concept??