Biggest Mistakes Put on a Field Since 2000

I think the 2 biggest mistakes I saw since 2000 have been Cadets 08, and the Oliver show from Pioneer.

Cadets 08 had potential to be a great show. Just too much narration. Totally took away from what could have been so many more great moments. Kids performed it very well, but one of the worst designed shows overall since 2000.

Pioneer, the Oliver show(01 or 02?). Ok, so Pioneer usually ends up at the bottom scorewise, but they usually put on some great shows. This one was the poorest designed show of the decade. The music was extremely simple, and the drill was completely lacking. Not the kids fault, they performed what they were given well. But the designer of this show really missed the boat. One of the more noticeable flaws was the drum break. The hornline went and stood behind the doors. For almost a whole minute. This is the part where they could have had some really nice drill and saved part of the show, but no, they have the kids hidden behind the doors? I know Pioneer usually has the youngest corps on the field, but they deserved better than this show. Glad to see they have improved each year since then.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im totally agree with this...I loved their show...right up until that moment at finals...then I say there going...what? they just ruined the whole show with that 10 seconds...

Another I totally agree on. Everyone knows "William Tell," aka. The Lone ranger theme. Don't need narration for that.

The added narration at the end of Crowns 2007 Pony Show. The race narration. Dumb. Over the top. Poorly performed didn't add anything significant. Ruined the only good part of that show in my opinion. Ok. We get it. We're watching a horse race. Try to assume your audience is smarter than that.

I was pretty hesitant about this when it was first put in as well, but it has since grown on me.. a LOT. I thought it was tasteful, at least.

If this thread was a show it would be appropriate for this thread.

ding, ding, ding

We have a winner. :lol:

Well, the whole show was kind of shticky. It's kind of Crown's M.O. Shtick

Simply my opinion: Well-written program, performed at a high level, and easily accessible to the audience. I think that the last detail may lend to the evidence against it for being "shticky." However, I still think a lot of stuff can be artistic AND accessible and not be labeled as such.

2005 BD: I thought it was a great idea having it backwards. Most judges tapes will mention "push to the end of the phrase" or "obvious fatigue in the members is starting to show".. but BD, rather than hiding this by making the end of the show the labored and tired parts, wrote the program for the show to be performed the strongest at the end. That's gutsy, to me.

Cadets, any year 2005-2008: I think we need to sit back and realize that they possibly are changing the activity in a positive way. Look at Star of Indiana. Apparently, in their prime, they were still being booed off the field for doing minimalistic shows (among other reasons of which the members had no control, including money). This era's Cadets may just be the same case. In 10 years we'll all look back and say "That was awesome. Period."

Lastly, sorry it seems as if I'm trying to defend everything you guys are trying to criticize, but I think there's a lot of negativity in this thread and I was just trying to share some positives, even if for the members' sake. I know that seeing your corps criticized so blatantly, and sometimes torn down so hatefully can be really, really disheartening, especially after having arrived home no earlier than 3 days ago from busting your butt for an entire summer.

Just my two cents.

Simply my opinion: Well-written program, performed at a high level, and easily accessible to the audience. I think that the last detail may lend to the evidence against it for being "shticky." However, I still think a lot of stuff can be artistic AND accessible and not be labeled as such.

2005 BD: I thought it was a great idea having it backwards. Most judges tapes will mention "push to the end of the phrase" or "obvious fatigue in the members is starting to show".. but BD, rather than hiding this by making the end of the show the labored and tired parts, wrote the program for the show to be performed the strongest at the end. That's gutsy, to me.

Cadets, any year 2005-2008: I think we need to sit back and realize that they possibly are changing the activity in a positive way. Look at Star of Indiana. Apparently, in their prime, they were still being booed off the field for doing minimalistic shows (among other reasons of which the members had no control, including money). This era's Cadets may just be the same case. In 10 years we'll all look back and say "That was awesome. Period."

Lastly, sorry it seems as if I'm trying to defend everything you guys are trying to criticize, but I think there's a lot of negativity in this thread and I was just trying to share some positives, even if for the members' sake. I know that seeing your corps criticized so blatantly, and sometimes torn down so hatefully can be really, really disheartening, especially after having arrived home no earlier than 3 days ago from busting your butt for an entire summer.

Just my two cents.

:worthy::lol:

The Sundial.