Phantom Wins

..then why is it we can watch canon 1,000+ time and every warmup we could imagine with J.D. every year EXCEPT this year??

Fishy....again, I'm saying it's crazy that simple stuff is being "protected" now, I can understand shutting down show leaks, but the horline? Battery? Guard stretching...lol.

Come on.

Canon was 5 years ago--today there would not be much of a demand for a DVD for warmups from that year. Right now, though...well, you've seen the posts. Right now, PR could finance next year's gas by dumping this year's guard gear on eBay. ;)

As far as stretching exercises go, my guess is that PR doesn't have someone searching and watching every PR video on youtube or google. More than likely, they're just doing a search for 2008, and having that removed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you point me to one single case where a performing group who has had a illegally recorded performance posted online has been sued by the source music owner?

I recall Cavies getting into trouble with John Rutter about their use of Images D'Oblique in the89/90 timeframe....anyone from that era to confirm??

And just because some corps has NOT been sued into oblivion over it doesn't mean the possibility isn't there...DCI and DCA both REQUIRE you you show proof that permission has been granted for the use of your show music before they'll let you on the field....even a small startup that's only doing a handfull of local shows and would only get on you tube thorugh someone's camera phone.

That's the REALITY....learn to deal with it.

Edited by 84BDsop

As far as stretching exercises go, my guess is that PR doesn't have someone searching and watching every PR video on youtube or google. More than likely, they're just doing a search for 2008, and having that removed.

Which is WRONG. If you want to defend your copyrights, that's fine, but take the time to see that the information is actually copyrighted. Don't overprotect, don't take things down in a blanket fashion. This is what's causing problems in some people's minds. If you're fair about it, we'll be fair about it.

[EDIT: And is Canon in G still copyrighted? Wouldn't it have passed into public domain now?]

Edited by Pinwiz

Probably because the possibility of getting sued out of existence by the source music owner hasn't quite sunk in to those who ##### about it....no matter how many times or how clearly you explain it.

What Sam said... It's understandable, but getting out of control. Unfortunately, it will never be resolved. I'm sure that ultimately the corps would love to see the material up on YouTube, but they just don't want the liability.

Which is WRONG. If you want to defend your copyrights, that's fine, but take the time to see that the information is actually copyrighted. Don't overprotect, don't take things down in a blanket fashion. This is what's causing problems in some people's minds. If you're fair about it, we'll be fair about it.

[EDIT: And is Canon in G still copyrighted? Wouldn't it have passed into public domain now?]

Even if the material is public domain, the performance of it is not. Video/Audio rights to the performance are automatically the property of the creator, unless the rights had been previously sold or assigned to another party (such as DCI or ESPN.)

As far as I know, if a corps is warming up in a public place, they do not have the right to take that stuff down. Inside the show is different, but if something is done publicly it becomes public domain....

This is very, very wrong.

If you were the director of a non_profit that is barely scrapping by, would you want to risk it? It's CYA to the millionth degree, and it is totally understandable.

There are other issues with video's from ive events that could cause potential legal issues, but I doubt any of those would be major concerns. If I were the attorneys for the corps and for DCI, I would have as many video's taken down as possible.

Don't blame the corps or DCI, one major lawsuit could throw the entire activity in a huge financial tailspin... then you'll be #####ing that we didn't do enough to protect the activity.

What Phantom played was not canon...it was an arrangement made by a boy's choir arranger, and therefore copyrighted.

I recall Cavies getting into trouble with John Rutter about their use of Images D'Oblique in the89/90 timeframe....anyone from that era to confirm??

And just because some corps has NOT been sued into oblivion over it doesn't mean the possibility isn't there...DCI and DCA both REQUIRE you you show proof that permission has been granted for the use of your show music before they'll let you on the field....even a small startup that's only doing a handfull of local shows and would only get on you tube thorugh someone's camera phone.

That's the REALITY....learn to deal with it.

I don't think they had a problem with Rutter...he wrote "Gloria." I think the trouble was with using Maslanka's "Child's Garden of Dreams" without permission....which is why they had to replace it with "Images Diabolique." Any old timers here that can confirm or deny?