Phantom Wins

:lol: Parking lot DVD?

I will buy that EVERY SINGLE YEAR for the rest of my life, holy crap DCI needs to do this! I know drummers usually have stuff available to them as far as the lot goes but I'd love to see a finals DVD of all the corps hornline warm ups in the lot. Vis warm ups too! I love watching Cadets' vis warm up.

[/quote

Is this something that DCI is coming up with? Every time I listen to a Blue Devils CD I can't get enough of the "warm-ups" (just "F Tuning" alone - gives me chills every time) and at the same time always wondered why more Corps didn't produce something like that. For that matter I'd love to see every Corps put out a "studio" recording similair to the "State of the Art" recordings from '80 and 2000, but I'd settle for a "DCI Warm-ups" DVD any day of the week!!! Just this year at Allentown I caught the Devils hornline warm-up for the first time since '86, pretty much everything I remembered and then some, simply amazing. Anyone have any additional info on this?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they had a problem with Rutter...he wrote "Gloria." I think the trouble was with using Maslanka's "Child's Garden of Dreams" without permission....which is why they had to replace it with "Images Diabolique." Any old timers here that can confirm or deny?

That sounds about right...I read it several years ago...had a slight brain fart.

Regardless, it DOES line up withy my assertions.

1) Better safe than sorry in regards to copyrights and such

2) Phantom gets to capitalize on a championship year through sales of CD's, DVD's, etc etc, and it's in their best interest to make sure they take in as much as possible.

What's more important:

A) you getting to see their performance, in low quality, tonight, and for free.

or

B) the corps putting out a high-quality product and using it to finance themselves as fully as possible for a brighter financial future. Who knows, good tour DvD sales could finance new uniforms (maybe even BLACK ones!), fuel for next year, or whatever they have as a financial need or dream. They need to strike while the iron is hot, and if you're a fan you shouldn't be giving it away for free before they can sell it.

1) Better safe than sorry in regards to copyrights and such

2) Phantom gets to capitalize on a championship year through sales of CD's, DVD's, etc etc, and it's in their best interest to make sure they take in as much as possible.

What's more important:

A) you getting to see their performance, in low quality, tonight, and for free.

or

B) the corps putting out a high-quality product and using it to finance themselves as fully as possible for a brighter financial future. Who knows, good tour DvD sales could finance new uniforms (maybe even BLACK ones!), fuel for next year, or whatever they have as a financial need or dream. They need to strike while the iron is hot, and if you're a fan you shouldn't be giving it away for free before they can sell it.

1. People who are going to pirate are going to pirate. Nothing will change that.

2. Phantom is hurting recruitment avenues by cutting out a YT venue. If you're going to remove footage from others, at least open an official channel. Use YT as a tool, don't look at it as a villain.

3. I have no problem with PR protecting copyrights, but I'm getting the sense that they did a blanket ban. There HAD to be clips that would have been okay, so to remove them via a legal carpet bombing is in bad form.

I love the extra access we've gained to the season over the last couple of years through the FN, but at the same time I'm getting so aggravated because it feel that much harder to share this activity with others. The way to grow the activity is to expose it to more people, and if all the content is locked down then there's no way to spread the word.

phantom isnt the only one to remove things off of youtube...

bd is probably even worse about not letting anyone get a glimpse of anything other than their F/Bb tuning and whatever they have free on their site already.

and they have a right to make money just like you have a right to complain that your going to have to end up paying for something.

im fairly certain ive heard at events to not record because its copyrighted material, be glad they dont crack down on that...

if they want to expose people to DCI, dont skip out on the midwest this year again...

Edited by doyle079

As much as I like free stuff, recordings of a corps kinda belong to them and should be a product they can sell to make money. After all, drum corps is no profit and money has to come from somewhere.

i don't think anyone has ever accused drum corps or the dci board of being competent marketers, and it makes perfect sense they would willfully block anything that creates a good pr buzz for them online. and they may have a lot of reasons for doing so, at least they may be convincing themselves they do, but cya is not one of them, copywrite holders sue the poster and the hosting company, not the individual whose performance has been posted (and not, i've found, anyone who posts or hosts a link to a performance, dcp's policy here is based on supporting dci, not liability)

Exactly. To draw a linear conclusion that Youtube videos will reduce demand for a professionally produced product is silly in my mind. Viral videos help fuel the fire. But hey, what do I know. I just work in advertising SELLING things for a living as a copywriter. It sounds like a not seeing the forest for the trees kind of thing.

Exactly. To draw a linear conclusion that Youtube videos will reduce demand for a professionally produced product is silly in my mind. Viral videos help fuel the fire. But hey, what do I know. I just work in advertising SELLING things for a living as a copywriter. It sounds like a not seeing the forest for the trees kind of thing.

But doesn't it go farther than that? DCI, and the competing corps, have to pay licensing fees (hope I'm using the correct term) in order to be able to publicly perform the music they select. So aren't they, in turn, beholden to the copyright holders if that music to see that it is distributed according to their agreement? And, in that case, wouldn't posting videos on YouTube and other non-approved sites possibly constitute a violation of that agreement?

As much as I like free stuff, recordings of a corps kinda belong to them and should be a product they can sell to make money. After all, drum corps is no profit and money has to come from somewhere.

And selling recordings is only part of this. The copyrights of the composer and/or arranger come into play. If the corps knows about unauthorized copies and does nothing about it pretty sure the composer/arranger can take legal action.

Also you don't want to #### off someone whose work you may want to use in the future.

To put it in the sound bite, see a lot of people talking only about making money. There is also the concern about getting your corps sued out of existance because you didn't protect the work.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari