Phantom Regiment discussion

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of Harmonic Journey, the ballad releases in Faust, When the hornline was straight bustin' fools in Spartacus...

I never watched a lot of earlier drum corps (to me, earlier is 1980s-1990s, because of when I marched), so I recently watched all the shows I could thanks to the DCI Fancast thingamabobber. My fave moments from the dudes in white so far:

1987. I am listing this one because I saw 1986 and thought....yuck. And the very next year, this came out....anyone have any stories on why Phantom was so...yucktastic in 1986 and how they rebounded so well in '87?

1988. Very clean marching, and a very nice arrangement of the music.

1989. The trumpet line at the very end, when they go up the octave....HOLY (*$*&.

1991. The guard splits. Oh man!

1993. Crabwalk and helmets = teh awesome.

1994. Claire de Lune.

1996. The entire opening is just awe inspiring for its slow build.

2003. The re-entry of Canon.

2005. I don't get why people say this is a bad show...this is a VANTASTIC show. Yes. With a "V," even.

2006. I never caught all the nuances in this show when I saw it live. There is a LOT of religious imagery in the Ave Maria. NICE!

2008. The last minute and a half was just sublime.

My understanding was that in 86 there was a complete drill re-write in the middle of the season. In 88 I marched with some people who were in from 86. Anyone who marched care to comment? Jeff, Mark?

I never watched a lot of earlier drum corps (to me, earlier is 1980s-1990s, because of when I marched), so I recently watched all the shows I could thanks to the DCI Fancast thingamabobber. My fave moments from the dudes in white so far:

1987. I am listing this one because I saw 1986 and thought....yuck. And the very next year, this came out....anyone have any stories on why Phantom was so...yucktastic in 1986 and how they rebounded so well in '87?

Edited by Chris Scott

89, during the closer when the horns turn and point at the box. Goosebumps every time!

I always liked the 1986 show. . . it was the last of the old school Phantom guard, and, while there's some rough moments in there, the music selections are fun to listen to.

If I had to pick a favorite year, though . . .1991 is probably it. The soloists that year were heartbreakingly awesome (yeah, yeah... I know the sop ganked a few notes in "Pagliacci"), but who doesn't love Regiment playing a jazz chart? :cool:

My ten favorite Phantom Regiment shows:

1. 1991. A complete spectacle, over the top, in your face yet subtle. The guard enhanced this show and sold it so well, almost stealing the show. The musical arrangements, three distinct pieces, were exceptional and the visuals, the banners, the drill, everything was just awesome..and then there was "Bachnalle" .

2. 1979 First time I ever saw such a thing, and heard such a thing, they made such an impression, especially the marching mallets. "Elsas procession to the cathedral" is reason alone to love this show. The music was familiar, the keyboards were dominant in this show and made me want to play xylophone, and I did. And I loved the colorguard.

3. 1987 I got to see this show alot this year marching in the midwest. What a glorious comeback ! A larger than life, "how did they do that" drill , solid show concept, and a stunning look from the colorguard. Some of the best drill sets of all time are in this show, note the end of the drumline, one of the prettiest sets ever. One of the prettiest guard outfits ever also.

4. 1990 Visual execution was perfect, near flawless patterns and transitions, an elegant guard making excelent use of their equipment and such sweet, appealing music. Drill in "Organ symhony, 'specially in quarters, absolutely flwaless.

5. 2005 (see 1990, how ironic) Solid entertainment, showmanship and emotion. Stunning, breathtaking colorguard and in your face arrangements.

6. 1985 eleven, count 'em, eleven company fronts in this Berlioz', Wren, Hurley, and Brazale masterpiece. Nothing short of a masterpiece, one of the earliest examples of perfection and success in regards to marrying music and visual. Just a tough show across the board that needed one more week.

I feel it still holds up today.

7. 1983 Solidly in fourth all season, almost making a run for it all in the last week. A lesson in classical music 101. Videos of this show do not so it justice, you need to see the high camera to appreciate just how dazzling, how hard, and how truly inovative this visual package was, and colorguard using double rifles at the end of the show with the first appearance of the "streamers"

8. 1992 Bag on this show all you want but from a pure spectator POV, it was awesome and had everything one could want in marching musical pageantry, from the "yards" of fabric, to the elegantly clothed colorguard, the drill design, the 1812 spectacle, the drama of the "burning of Moscow" A truly underrated and underappreciated show

9. 1994 innovation in the form of the split/pit and the use of black and white. Musically this corps delivers year after year and 94 was no exception. Guard stepped it up a notch with much more demanding work and solid presence and again, their use of black and white and the revisiting of the wedge" makes this show unforgettable.

10. 1988 after making a triumphant return in 87, PR was thee buzz to take it all in 1988. "Romeo and Juliet" was an awesome selection andwas highlighted by an awesome, expressive caption winning colorguard, beautiful, field covering drill, and solid musical arrangements.

Geoffrey

(Taken from a previous thread I started , 2008 has yet to be added in here)

Oh man... I was thinking the other day how epic it would be to go down the aisle to Phantom's 2003 opener. :D

I went down the aisle to Fire of Eternal Glory :)

I honestly can't think of a PR show I haven't liked....My favorite moments involve anytime there is a kickhalt, anything involving a chevron on the field...oh who am I kidding? Anytime they pick up their horns and play!!!

Edited by prsop01

My understanding was that in 86 there was a complete drill re-write in the middle of the season. In 88 I marched with some people who were in from 86. Anyone who marched care to comment? Jeff, Mark?

86 was my rookout year and it was pretty rough. We had inexperienced staff in all captions, and they rotated in and out all season. I remember more than once, a new staff member "fixing" something that a previous staff member had spent days "fixing". We were also pretty young that year, there were alot of kids bought up from the cadet corps just to fill spots. There was also a massive drill rewrite midseason. I don't remember it being the whole drill, but most of it was trashed and replaced.

That said, it was the best time I had in drum corps. We were treated well and with respect. I will always be forever grateful for the experiences I had that summer. Plus I made some great friends that year whom I still keep in touch with, even if it's just at the occansional show. So here's to Ducky, Moose, Brian Hildreth, Eric Short the tall Drum Major, Ron Schultz, Billy Hyde, Ingrid Hyde, Mom Hyde (I know what I did), the uniform ladies(thanks for coming to my wedding) and all the rest from 86.

Walt