Acoustic Innovation Suggestions

First off, in the spirit of threads that ask for "positive comments only please" this will be an "acoustic suggestions only please" thread. Please don't jump in and tell me how singing or narrating or sampled rhinoceros farts would make it better. I’m glad you think so but I’m not looking for it and am a little sick of hearing about it. I promise I’ll respect your wishes if you open a “synthesizer lovers only” thread….

So….

In answer to the suggestion that drum corps needs all the new toys to allow the designers to be creative I humbly say bull#### and am calling for acoustic suggestions that may not have been tried before. I’m listening to stuff on my ipod right now and have a couple of suggestions, please add yours, and let me know if any of my suggestions has been done already, or if you think my ideas are absolute crap.

Sibelius. I was just listening to the elegie from King Christian II and thinking what a beautiful ballad it would be. Finlandia is a powerful piece. Lots to choose from there.

Tchaikovsky Symphony 4 – again listening to the Andantino in Modo Di Canzona and thinking “ballad”…

Greig – Holberg Suite.

Obviously – I’m a classical fan!

Thoughts?

Obviously – I’m a classical fan!

Thoughts?

Janacek's Sinfonietta....Regiment MUST do this.

I'll just keep on suggesting it every year until they DO play it. :blink:

Still want to hear a corps do an all-Ragtime show...BD used part as their opener, so I pick them. :blink:

Doing an orchestral piece with the band I arrange for called "New Beginnings" by Peter Boyer. It would be a great piece for, say, Boston...or Spirit...very cinematic-sounding with a GREAT ballad-style melody in the middle (I am using micced English horn and then a trombone duet).

Finlandia is a great piece. We used to play it in my high school concert band.

I love the fact that MikeD was the first respondent to this thread. :blink:

Finlandia is a great piece. We used to play it in my high school concert band.

I love the fact that MikeD was the first respondent to this thread. :blink:

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I have an mp3 of Finlandia on my mp3 player that has an awesome brass intro.

Doing an orchestral piece with the band I arrange for called "New Beginnings" by Peter Boyer. It would be a great piece for, say, Boston...or Spirit...very cinematic-sounding with a GREAT ballad-style melody in the middle (I am using micced English horn and then a trombone duet).

Check out Open Class corps Legends from Michigan

My accoustical suggestion: Play loud and in tune with great tone quality

Four Sea Interludes by Britten

Suite from the Black Maskers by Sessions

A corps needs to do these, and keep it acoustic.

That is all.

I don't know the Black Maskers piece, but the Four Sea Interludes - YES! :cool: