Daycare at Finals

Finals Daycare  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of daycare set up at/near Finals in Indy?

• Awesome! Great idea! I'd take advantage!
    • Maybe...depends on the cost, the quality of daycare center, location, etc.
    • Nope..Not a good idea and not something I'd be interested in taking advantage of.

Not surprisingly, this service is already available - only a Google search away. Holding out for DCI-sanctioned daycare seems to be a bit of a crock.

Indy Hotels with child care services

You could've let us know without the "bit of crock" statement. :cool:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a very good idea and something DCI should do in tandem with strongly discouraging (or prohibiting) children under a certain age at major events. I don't have children but I would gladly pay a little more for my tickets to share the cost rather than have my experience marred by noisy children when I have already paid thousands of dollars for travel, hotels and 4 tickets to be there.

I understand that liablity would be an issue but that doesn't make it an unsolvable problem. Contract with a responsible organization that indemnifies DCI and accepts the liability itself. Spread the cost and don't skimp on quality. Staff it well and provide DCI monitors to ensure everything goes well. I find it hard to believe a child is less safe under those conditions than they are at a show.

World Championships seems like an especially insane place to take a baby or toddler. It is a long event, often hot and humid, with people crowded uncomfortably together, intense and loud, and requiring responsible behavior for periods of time that long exceed the patience of a normal child.

People who say their toddlers benefit from the experience of early exposure to DCI can still get that opportunity through smaller shows, DVDs, etc. Better yet, have a little room at the daycare with a TV that broadcasts the event and/or have other little things about music and corps that are geared to the interests of young children.

Its comments like that that make it a little more personal for some of us. Prohibit?

I have no idea what you mean by 'personal' but allow me to clarify that by putting it in parentheses and preceding it with the word "or" I intended to communicate that the "prohibit" alternative is an optional consideration I will leave for others to debate.

I honestly thought it was a good idea and would benefit many people, including DCI getting more paying butts in the seats.

I'm not looking for anyone to pay for it for me - I'm certainly willing to pay - for God's sake I'm paying $125 for each seat as it is!

Wasn't looking to start a huge controversy.....

I will continue to pursue this idea and attempt to contact people at DCI to see what they think. Hopefully something positive will come of it, and if not, well - I'll continue to bring my child to Finals and use my judgement as to what she can sit through (not much) and take turns w/my husband keeping her occupied out of earshot.

Yes some nicer hotels offer this. Small percentage of the city hotels though. And not as comfortable as a DCI partnership. If you think its a crock (with no reason attached) then troll another thread, this one is not for you.

I wonder how many who voted in the poll actually have daycare age children?

Sorry, but like so many others, I've had one too many DCI finals performances disrupted by misbehaving wee ones. Unless there is a policy for admission of small children as suggested by skevinp, there will always be folks who find excuses that they 'have to' bring the lil'uns along - even if daycare is available. Such restrictions or guidelines are commonplace in the performing arts, and most perfoming arts venues have them. It's not a personal attack on parents, but a recognition that all patrons (parents included) are entitled to enjoy the event without undue distractions. Yes, in the case of DCI, a 'suggested guideline' is probably more feasible than a prohibition.

Kudos for recognizing the need and the needs of other attendess. Though I still don't see how a crosstown van ride to an offsite, afterhours daycare facility is more comfortable than an elevator ride to hotel-provided child care.

Sorry, but like so many others, I've had one too many DCI finals performances disrupted by misbehaving wee ones. Unless there is a policy for admission of small children as suggested by skevinp, there will always be folks who find excuses that they 'have to' bring the lil'uns along - even if daycare is available. Such restrictions or guidelines are commonplace in the performing arts, and most perfoming arts venues have them. It's not a personal attack on parents, but a recognition that all patrons (parents included) are entitled to enjoy the event without undue distractions. Yes, in the case of DCI, a 'suggested guideline' is probably more feasible than a prohibition.

Kudos for recognizing the need and the needs of other attendess. Though I still don't see how a crosstown van ride to an offsite, afterhours daycare facility is more comfortable than an elevator ride to hotel-provided child care.

Hotel provided child care is with some random person the hotel has contracted with - there is no requirement for them to have childcare training, a degree or a license. They are also a stranger in my hotel room alone with my child. I'm not comfortable with that.

A daycare facility has trained individuals, toys, equipment and experience. I'm much more comfortable with that.

Forget "daycare"- put a horn or some sticks in their hand and get them started early! :cool:

Forget "daycare"- put a horn or some sticks in their hand and get them started early! :cool:

LOL - my daughter has a Little Tikes drum, a play trumpet, and a play flag - she loves all of them :) She always picks one of them up when we have DCI dvd's on!

I have high hopes for a horn player, of course ;-) What age does Colt Cadets start at?