Show Design Inconsistancies!

Ok, so since many fans can't fathom anything deeper than a saucer, you'd think drum corps would make their shows easy to understand, right? Wrong! Some shows have a nice amount of depth to them. But there are still many gaps in their plots. So please, tell us what you noticed.

Phantom: Roman's never goose-stepped.

Blue Devils: Every trick in the book stolen from a WGI group.

Crown: The show is called "Finis" and is supposed to be about trying to find a good ending for a song, but then why would the corps play the beginnings and middles of all the songs in their show? The only endings in the show were at the very VERY end.

Cadets: With all the tweaks in the narration, some of it ceased lining up with the mood in the music. "I was so happy!" *Suspenseful chord*

Bluecoats: Two boxers in the beginning. Two DIFFERENT boxers in the end, right?

SCV: THE GUARD WAS TRYING TO GET YOU ALL TO SNAP, CLAP AND SLAP YOUR KNEES!!! Also, right after they tried that, they had their "VANGUARD!!!" moment, killing the snapping, clapping and slapping.

In general, I'm appalled at the fact that the audience roots for the loudest, most out of tune hornlines instead of the well-balanced ones. A lot of corps not in the top 6 deserve a lot of credit for rich, dark sounds. It's like comparing Backstreet Boys to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen Colbert interrupted RUSH.

Wrong.

Same exact members/boxers, just in different shorts for a different "championship fight"

Edited by BlueR36

Crown: The show is called "Finis" and is supposed to be about trying to find a good ending for a song, but then why would the corps play the beginnings and middles of all the songs in their show? The only endings in the show were at the very VERY end.

Except for the end to the Candide overture they started with, and the end to the William Tell Overture in the opener. So, not quite the only endings in the show.

Except for the end to the Candide overture they started with, and the end to the William Tell Overture in the opener. So, not quite the only endings in the show.

Of course, the Candide overture, William Tell overture, and the Barber of Seville overture all occur at the beginning of their respective operas. :cool:

Actually he is correct. The winning fighter is the same throughout the show, but "The Champ" is different from beginning to end.

Good catch!

To go with what I thought the story was, the loser of the first fight should be the winner of the last one, even though he may fight different people. Is that not the way it went?

Ok, so since many fans can't fathom anything deeper than a saucer, you'd think drum corps would make their shows easy to understand, right? Wrong! Some shows have a nice amount of depth to them. But there are still many gaps in their plots. So please, tell us what you noticed.

Blue Devils: Every trick in the book stolen from a WGI group.

Cadets: With all the tweaks in the narration, some of it ceased lining up with the mood in the music. "I was so happy!" *Suspenseful chord*

SCV: THE GUARD WAS TRYING TO GET YOU ALL TO SNAP, CLAP AND SLAP YOUR KNEES!!! Also, right after they tried that, they had their "VANGUARD!!!" moment, killing the snapping, clapping and slapping.

In general, I'm appalled at the fact that the audience roots for the loudest, most out of tune hornlines instead of the well-balanced ones. A lot of corps not in the top 6 deserve a lot of credit for rich, dark sounds. It's like comparing Backstreet Boys to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

You go from talking about design problems that bothered you to suddenly talking about how you are appalled at how audience reactions to "out of tune, loud hornlines".......yet you do not indicate who's sound you were unhappy with...that's pretty funny......I know I heard alot of crap coming out of BD's line (so-called high brass), not to mention lack of phrasing, and arrangements definitely down the ladder.....Cavaliers weren't loud (so you probably dug them....but check out the mello line out of tune for like half of the show....and only half of the dynamic range of others....) If you actually think anyone was even close to Crown in terms of intonation, balance, and quality of tone......oh, well...because nobody was......I'm sure you hated Phantom, because they were loud, and I hate to burst your bubble, but they were also quite GOOD....sounds like someone wasn't happy that corps other than their favs received much bigger reactions, due to MUSIC....................

GB

I wondered about that, although I'm not sure how we can know that for sure. I do think it was effective in conveying the coldly militaristic empire concept in terms more familiar to the modern world.

As long as we are being silly, Spartacus was probably not bludgeoned to death with lower brass instruments either. Although, again, there is no way to know that for sure. :cool: