• Invesco Field, Denver 2004
    • Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA, 2005
    • Rose Bowl, Pasadena CA, 2007
    • Memorial Stadium, Bloomington IN

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we need to give "whatever we're calling Jack Murphy Stadium now" Stadium in San Diego a try.

Madison hands down, although I haven't been to all sites listed. Parking can be a little tricky but we always got there early and partook of the local brats and brew. Every time we go there we park on Garfield Street.

Jackson was a nightmare. My wife literally passed out due to the heat during semis. Not sure how cute a chili cook-off is in buhzillion degree weather. As it turns out it was the last time we saw Pat Hines (RIP), Cavalier alum and guard instructor for the Emerald Knights.

Cotton Bowl has to be the worst. Friends of ours were mugged in the parking lot.

Invesco (Denver) was the best. Plenty of nice hotels close by. Nice stadium, plenty of parking.

Madison is a close second. But the parking situation is horrible.

Foxboro was the worst, with no crowd control. Morons run the place. If they ever have DCI there again, I will not attend. And, I'm hard core.

The Rose Bowl, even though located in a nice place was an absolute dump. Spectators too far away from the playing field. And, everything in Pasadena was more expensive. Too hard to get to and it was very hard on all the corps, except for the local corps. Many corps still have not recovered financially from that trip.

Bloomington was a very nice place to have it, except not enough hotel rooms.

Buffalo OK. Kansas City OK.

I'm excited to see what the show will be like in Lucas Oil in Indy

But if they want to have finals in Bloomington for the next ten years, well that would be just fine with me. Great stadium for drum corps, and any excuse I have to get back to that town is a good one.

I say we need to give "whatever we're calling Jack Murphy Stadium now" Stadium in San Diego a try.

Agreed. Best weather in the country. Beautiful beaches and Ocean is nearby. Lots to do.

Hopefully by 2018, we will have less of a dependency on diesel, and possibly a different/less expensivce fuel for the busses so that this can happen. ...(depending on which administation/party keeps their energy plans a numero uno priority)..Hopefully, alternative fuels will be the one thing that makes it possible for many corps to tour and come out to visit California, more often. Thank you Phantom Regiment for coming out this year. Hopefully there will be more.

I liked the Rose Bowl, (but I am probably biased being part of the Kingsmen, cause we were all about it). Personally liked the feel of performing in the stadium, from field level. It seemed like the fans were right there with you, and not somewhere in the upper deck.

But from the fan perspective at the Rose Bowl, I think its all about the the "getting in and getting out". If you were there for July 4th show this year; Especially, if you had to park on the golf course... your stories probably relate to a hellish experience.

As for now, I like the 10 year deal in Indy. Brand new stadium. All the amenities. No field issues or rain. Centralized location for most corps ( Not like Kansas City was, but still pretty good). Overall a good deal. There is some other thread on here about the acoustics, but I think in time, it will be worked out. Also, lets hope that out of this, there is some consistency in housing year after year. Either this, or that housing progressively gets better, (as in better accomadation for the corps needs, based on precedence), with the expectation that corps will be in Indy for roughly the same week year after year.

Edited by Dmlkmen

I remember the Summer-long excitement of going to the Cotton Bowl in '91.

Quotes from staff -

At a restaurant during January camp - "No sleep 'til Dallas. There's no reason to be awake there."

As we warmed up at some little Massachusetts school - "This is preparation for Dallas in August."

Leaving Giants' Stadium - "Couldn't finals be at a real stadium like this one?"

As we drove home to Boston (into Hurricane Bob) - "Weather forecast sounds pretty nice compared to Dallas."

I have attended 15 Finals as a marching member, instructor or fan

Perkins Stadium, UW-Whitewater WI 1972-73 - Marched my first finals in 73 - but I thought it was Warhawk Stadium?

Schoellkopf Field, Ithaca NY 1974 - had to watch finals from the stands - we didn't make finals

Franklin Field, Philadelphia 1975-76 Watched as a fan in 75, came back as a member in 76

Mile High Stadium, Denver 1977-78 Aged out in 77 - didn't get there in 78

Legion Field, Birmingham AL 1979-80 Went as a fan in 79, was teaching 27th in 80

Olympic Stadium, Montreal 1981-82 Was teaching 27th in 81 and 82 - 81 had the greatest attendance ever

Orange Bowl, Miami 1983 My last year teaching 27th - Go Cadets !

Grant Field (Bobby Dodd Stadium), Atlanta 1984 Went as a fan

Camp Randall Stadium, Madison WI 1985-86-87-92-99-02-06 Did not get to any of these

Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City 1988-89 Did not get to either of these

Ralph WIlson Stadium (Rich Stadium) Buffalo NY 1990-95-01 Went as a fan in 1990 and 2001

Cotton Bowl, Dallas 1991 Didn't get there

Veterans Memorial Stadium, Jackson MS 1993 Didn't get there

Foxboro Stadium, Foxboro MA, 1994 Marched with the greatest - and largest - Alumni corps ever assembled

Citrus Bowl, Orlando 1996-97-98-03 Attended in 1997

Byrd Stadium, College Park MD 2000 Didn't get there

Invesco Field, Denver 2004 Didn't get there

Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA, 2005 Went as a fan

Rose Bowl, Pasadena CA, 2007 Didn't make it

Memorial Stadium, Bloomington IN, 2008 Didn't make it

I'm just glad to still see Miami with that big zero next to it.