Future DCA Championships.

Yes my post was real.

A bunch of us were actually having this same conversation this past weekend at rehearsal. Of course Scranton had its flaws, but at least you got excited as a performer, walking into that stadium. The lights were on, the crowd was high above the field. You would walk around the back of the stadium, and as you were walking down the hill, you would get your first glimpse of the crowd, and it got your heart movin a little quicker.

When we got to Rochester, all of that was lost for us really. Your just walking into a small stadium. Im sure we all perform at some high schools that are bigger then that.

No doubt the DCA folks have done a great job of getting the location, and doing whatever it takes to work with the city... no one is trying to discredit them for that.

Im personally not even trying to get it moved out of the NE... I think that would be dumb considering the fan base you guys have up there... your lucky to get to perform your shows all season to that kind of crowd, when we're struggling for a couple hundred at certain shows.

Keep it in the NE, I think we should find a better venue. Thats all.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

California had over 20 DCI championship winners across three divisions before it FINALLY came out west in 07.....no one location has an exclusive heritage claim.

The same could be said of DCI 07....especially the goal to goal part

That one's not an arguable point....more a statement of fact.

Emphasis mine.....and THAT particular phrase pretty much betrays a certain arrogance coming...is it any wonder then that some people are looking at alternates?

If someone in Chicago or elsewhere wishes to submit a bid, let 'em....but don't stoot them down and insult their intelligent for doing so.

Attention, Attention.

Earth to Sam.

Earth to Sam.

DCI arguments do not provide a basis for DCA. Ever.

DCA California?

Are you serious to even suggest it?

Here's an idea: bring that one up at the director's meeting and set an egg timer to see how long before you are laughed out of the room.

It is absurd.

Please stop with the name -calling. Arrogant? Insulting ones intelligence?

DCA is a Northeast gig. That is not a conclusion borne of guesswork, it is an absolute. So drawing upon the obvious is neither arrogant nor insulting. It is, however, prudent.

"Let 'em submit a bid" is so comical. Who, exactly, is "them"? And, if they did "submit a bid", exactly who would show up?

Come on, Sam. It's one thing to have a debate. It's another just to argue for argument's sake.

Put down the shovel.

Yes my post was real.

A bunch of us were actually having this same conversation this past weekend at rehearsal. Of course Scranton had its flaws, but at least you got excited as a performer, walking into that stadium. The lights were on, the crowd was high above the field. You would walk around the back of the stadium, and as you were walking down the hill, you would get your first glimpse of the crowd, and it got your heart movin a little quicker.

When we got to Rochester, all of that was lost for us really. Your just walking into a small stadium. Im sure we all perform at some high schools that are bigger then that.

No doubt the DCA folks have done a great job of getting the location, and doing whatever it takes to work with the city... no one is trying to discredit them for that.

Im personally not even trying to get it moved out of the NE... I think that would be dumb considering the fan base you guys have up there... your lucky to get to perform your shows all season to that kind of crowd, when we're struggling for a couple hundred at certain shows.

Keep it in the NE, I think we should find a better venue. Thats all.

I see where you're coming from ... I know Scranton had a certain feeling.

I've never marched into PaeTec as a performer but I'd have to think the size of the audience must have added a certain boost.

I guess I'd like to hear from some of you who can compare a small, packed concert side to a huge stadium that is two thirds empty.

California had over 20 DCI championship winners across three divisions before it FINALLY came out west in 07.....no one location has an exclusive heritage claim.

The same could be said of DCI 07....especially the goal to goal part

That one's not an arguable point....more a statement of fact.

Emphasis mine.....and THAT particular phrase pretty much betrays a certain arrogance coming...is it any wonder then that some people are looking at alternates?

If someone in Chicago or elsewhere wishes to submit a bid, let 'em....but don't stoot them down and insult their intelligent for doing so.

Even though I agree with some of what you said. (rare as that may be.) This ONE person does NOT speak for all of DCA and or the PEOPLE of the North East. The Renagades, Dream, MBI, Kilts, CorpsVets and many more have Thousands and thousands, of Fans here in the North East. We look Forward to seeing them, and are Very Greatfull that they come East. (also remember in the OLD DAYS. The North Eastern Corps did indeed go to the WEST Coast. R. Crusaders, H. Caballeros, Buccaneers, Hurricanes, and New York Skyliners, just to mention a few. Won, National Titles on the WEST COAST, AND in these places, Chicago, , Dallas, Kansas City, New Orleans, Miami, and Minnesota.)

So just to let you know. Many, Many, of us in the North East are Thrilled with the Expansion of DCA. Many, Many of us look forward to a day DCA can be in MORE and Different places. Yes, Rochester has a History. (as does Whitewater/Madison in DCI by the way) Yes Rochester does a Good Job of Hosting. BUT, I would also say I think it impossible to believe that NO WHERE else in the USA could hold it and do a Good Job of it. Just need the BIDS to come in. AND, the people to show up to see it.

As I have said before. You have this thing for DCI. Well go there. Stay there. Be Happy There.

(Yes, I have read your background. Just because you do not have a DCI past. Does NOT mean you are Not a DCI Supporter and FAN. )

Edited by OldStyleCorps

Attention, Attention.

Earth to Sam.

Earth to Sam.

DCI arguments do not provide a basis for DCA. Ever.

DCA California?

Are you serious to even suggest it?

Here's an idea: bring that one up at the director's meeting and set an egg timer to see how long before you are laughed out of the room.

It is absurd.

Please stop with the name -calling. Arrogant? Insulting ones intelligence?

DCA is a Northeast gig. That is not a conclusion borne of guesswork, it is an absolute. So drawing upon the obvious is neither arrogant nor insulting. It is, however, prudent.

"Let 'em submit a bid" is so comical. Who, exactly, is "them"? And, if they did "submit a bid", exactly who would show up?

Come on, Sam. It's one thing to have a debate. It's another just to argue for argument's sake.

Put down the shovel.

Wow, arrogant was an understatement.

Ya know.... that WOULD make a great Reality Show.

Kinda like Bravo's "Flippin' Out."

Scene 1: Allen Buell slams down the phone. "The Blousemen's practice field grass length is 2 inches and they SAY they specifically requested a grass length of 1.75 inches."

(quick cut away shots of furrowed brows, clenched jaws, and darting eyes)

Fade to black.... ShamWow commercial begins.

:thumbup::lol::lol::w00t:

I posed the question earlier on this thread, would any -if not all the eastern DCA corps - be willing to travel to the midwest or south for shows??????

I concur that before there could ever be a legit bid for the Championships to be in the Midwest or South, some of the east corps would have to help build a higher regional fan base. Just the midwestern or the southern corps in competition will not do it. But start "wetting" their appitites for what the rest of DCA Corpsdom is like- watch out. Not going to happen overnight, I would suspect 5-6 years to build things up and develop a strong mailing list and following.

How about it?? Empire - Cru-Cabs-Buccs-Bush-Brigs-Hurcs who is willing to go on record to do a midwest weekend or Atlanta weekend next year?????????

I am anxious to see a committment!!!!!!!

I think a Chicago regional even would be swell.

I think a Chicago regional even would be swell.

I think that DeKalb (NIU) could handle that! It has been looking for something since DCM folded. It is a great stadium and very drum corps friendly. They let DCI corps have camps there still. I am sure that Roman Blenski still has connections there. Pioneer just did 2 days in July for rehearsals,

Easy flight from anywhere into O Hare...

I am with the guys that are saying that Scranton was an awesome venue for DCA. So was Allentown...I won a few DCA's in those places. Rochester will pack it again though, and it has to be the revenue for the corps that split profits. Where else have these corps made as much as Rochester?

You should have been around in the late 60's and early 70's to see DCA in Rochester!!!!

Donny

I posed the question earlier on this thread, would any -if not all the eastern DCA corps - be willing to travel to the midwest or south for shows??????

I concur that before there could ever be a legit bid for the Championships to be in the Midwest or South, some of the east corps would have to help build a higher regional fan base. Just the midwestern or the southern corps in competition will not do it. But start "wetting" their appitites for what the rest of DCA Corpsdom is like- watch out. Not going to happen overnight, I would suspect 5-6 years to build things up and develop a strong mailing list and following.

How about it?? Empire - Cru-Cabs-Buccs-Bush-Brigs-Hurcs who is willing to go on record to do a midwest weekend or Atlanta weekend next year?????????

I am anxious to see a committment!!!!!!!

You know, I used to think this was essential to build a fan base outside of the NE. But after seeing a marked growth in patronage of some of the southern corps and shows in just the past three years, I'm not so sure now. it would be 'nice' to see those corps travel for a change, but I don't think it is a 'must'.

it is separate from the 'head to head' competition argument, grant you. But even that seems to be less of an issue as more of the long distance corps continue to place well and 'rationally' when we do all get on the same field of battle.

JMO