Future DCA Championships.

2) What was the greatest distance "back in the day"? DCA had a pair of shows in Canton, OH back in 78 and 79 that we attended. Corps I remember were Crusaders, Chicago Connection, Buccs (who did they tick off?), Westshoremen (we were new to DCA and paying our dues) and Thunderbirds. Then next day was an afternoon show at Erie with the same corps (minus ChiConn).

I don't claim it to be "greatest distance", but I was at a DCA show in St Charles(?), IL, in June 1988. SCA, Sunrisers, MBI, and Chicago Vanguard I know were there. Seems like there was a repeat the next year. (If so, I wasn't there.) I believe there was a DCA show in MI in 1990. (The last show ever won by SCA.)

ES helped put on the Salem, OH, show last season. And, they traveled to Toledo, OH, to do exhibition in the DCI season-opener this recently-concluded summer.

These have been discussed before. Everyone appreciates the effort the far-away corps make to travel east. Imagine the buzz surrounding a 2009 NE contest that includes the DCA Runner-up Minnesota Brass. Or another intersectional show like Salem, OH, 2007 where the NE, MW, and South get together. Or, another W-S type show that draws in the Renegades. Those would automatically spike on the Billboard Top 10, just like an appearance by the Caballeros in Atlanta, GA, would, or the Bucs in TN. Many people still talk in awe-inspired tones about the legendary Racine, WI, show in 1972, just before the Chicago AL Nats - and it was an EXHIBITION!

With the stresses placed upon individual corps as well as their governing orgs, being conservative and not trying to do something that jeopardizes a corps' existence is perfectly reasonable. Same for DCA as a whole. Unless/until it becomes reasonable to take DCA Finals out into the interior of this vast country, it will remain tethered to the area where it has been able to survive for the past 45 years.

Ultimately, it will take more than us speculating on who/what/where/how. It will take a serious group to make a serious bid that is the best deal DCA gets that year. Until then, the only result is lots of bloviating. (And I include me in that "august" group.)

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NONE of us talking about Winston-salem said ANYTHING even close to that. Everyone KNEW a lot on DEPENDED on the ATTENDANCE at that show. (I heard they had to meet or beat 5,000.) I competed in that show. The fans were VERY receptive, and showed it! Darn the Weather!

This is the first I have heard of Stadium problem. I know Big Money in Winston-Salem was behind the show. Something about they wanted to prove they could hold an event that BIG.

Never heard ANYTHING about DCA not taking the bid SERIOUS. I do not believe thta at all.

My question is this: Is the Winston-Salem show still going on or was it a one time thing? And if it was only a one time thing, why hasn't it continued as a regular season show?

Edited by I.R. Baritone

My question is this: Is the Winston-Salem show still going on or was it a one time thing? And if it was only a one time thing, why hasn't it continued as a regular season show?

3029908762.jpg

FYI...Check out the great www.fromthepressbox.com site for info like this...has not happened since 05.

The Kentucky Derby and Rose Bowl Parade argument is the best one in the forum. I love the line "the horses don't mind."

Rochester as a permanent home for Finals? Hmmmm.

The argument regarding travel for the West Coast Corps is legit for those corps, but difficult to support. 2 corps traveling cross country is difficult; but 24 corps traveling cross country the other way is not possible.

Let me quantify the argument:

All 9 alumni corps likely see Rochester as "centrally located" or at least reachable and "fair". Boston, Bayonne, Bridgeport, NYC, NJ, Ontario or Batavia to Rochester is doable. 100 marching members per corps, 20 staff per corps and 2 accompanying family members per person translates to 360 ticket buying bodies per corps. That's 3,150 ticket sales...plus t-shirts, plus hotel revenue, plus program books, etc. All while keeping travel costs "reasonable."

The vast majority of the top competing corps come from the east (and the "stars" are, undeniably, the draw): Bucs, Empire, Cabs, Cru, Hurcs, Bush, Brigs. 7 corps; average of 100 members plus 20 staff plus 2 family members per = 360 bodies x 7 corps = 2,520 bodies.

7 of the 8 unaffiliated mini-corps are from the East (NH, Erie, Rochester, PA, Albany, Boston and NJ). The only other independent is Star and nobody from their group is complaining out loud about travel costs and, interestingly, nobody has picked up the torch for them (haha). Average is 25 members, 2 staff and 2 family members per = 568 bodies.

The World Drum Corps Hall of Fame banquet brings family and friends. There's 100 members, new inductees, plus two family members per. That's another 300 persons.

Add it up and you have 6,238 LIVE PEOPLE that are VERY LIKELY to attend DCA Weekend in Rochester and this total only accounts for CURRENT membership. The prior members of all these corps and organizations are "interested parties" or people that DCA has a legitimate opportunity to deliver a marketing message to that says "Come to DCA!... And it ain't far to go!" The result is a sold out Finals 2 years in a row IN SPITE OF ECONOMIC CONDITIONS!

These numbers simply do not exist anywhere else in the country. And most of these numbers would be absolutely thrown out if the Championship was held elsewhere...Chicago or California or whatever. The corps MIGHT come (at a heavy travel tax for all), but their audience would likely stay home.

You are asking DCA to turn it's back on a near certainty in the hopes that the casual fan would show up to replace them.

I have been told my comments are "arrogant", but name-calling doesn't erase the systemic facts of business. We are, for all intents and purposes, an entertainment product. And DCA delivers that product to the consumer who is intensely loyal and is, for the most part, a repeat customer and a satisfied customer. These people show up year after year. This is a remarkable achievement built over 35 years.

To yank it away from sound business principles for the sake of "fairness" to the few (and I GET IT GUYS, California is a LONG TRIP) and potentially alienate the "many" misses the bigger picture. No decision will ever satisfy everyone, but DCA in the market or region that CAUSED it's success makes the most sense.

I don't claim it to be "greatest distance", but I was at a DCA show in St Charles(?), IL, in June 1988. SCA, Sunrisers, MBI, and Chicago Vanguard I know were there. Seems like there was a repeat the next year. (If so, I wasn't there.) I believe there was a DCA show in MI in 1990. (The last show ever won by SCA.)

ES helped put on the Salem, OH, show last season. And, they traveled to Toledo, OH, to do exhibition in the DCI season-opener this recently-concluded summer.

These have been discussed before. Everyone appreciates the effort the far-away corps make to travel east. Imagine the buzz surrounding a 2009 NE contest that includes the DCA Runner-up Minnesota Brass. Or another intersectional show like Salem, OH, 2007 where the NE, MW, and South get together. Or, another W-S type show that draws in the Renegades. Those would automatically spike on the Billboard Top 10, just like an appearance by the Caballeros in Atlanta, GA, would, or the Bucs in TN. Many people still talk in awe-inspired tones about the legendary Racine, WI, show in 1972, just before the Chicago AL Nats - and it was an EXHIBITION!

With the stresses placed upon individual corps as well as their governing orgs, being conservative and not trying to do something that jeopardizes a corps' existence is perfectly reasonable. Same for DCA as a whole. Unless/until it becomes reasonable to take DCA Finals out into the interior of this vast country, it will remain tethered to the area where it has been able to survive for the past 45 years.

Ultimately, it will take more than us speculating on who/what/where/how. It will take a serious group to make a serious bid that is the best deal DCA gets that year. Until then, the only result is lots of bloviating. (And I include me in that "august" group.)

yes in 89, saturday had Shore, Steel, Chicago Vanguard, Erie and another I cant remember in Chicago, then the next day in Dayton the Royalaires joined us all.

The Kentucky Derby and Rose Bowl Parade argument is the best one in the forum. I love the line "the horses don't mind."

Rochester as a permanent home for Finals? Hmmmm.

The argument regarding travel for the West Coast Corps is legit for those corps, but difficult to support. 2 corps traveling cross country is difficult; but 24 corps traveling cross country the other way is not possible.

Let me quantify the argument:

All 9 alumni corps likely see Rochester as "centrally located" or at least reachable and "fair". Boston, Bayonne, Bridgeport, NYC, NJ, Ontario or Batavia to Rochester is doable. 100 marching members per corps, 20 staff per corps and 2 accompanying family members per person translates to 360 ticket buying bodies per corps. That's 3,150 ticket sales...plus t-shirts, plus hotel revenue, plus program books, etc. All while keeping travel costs "reasonable."

The vast majority of the top competing corps come from the east (and the "stars" are, undeniably, the draw): Bucs, Empire, Cabs, Cru, Hurcs, Bush, Brigs. 7 corps; average of 100 members plus 20 staff plus 2 family members per = 360 bodies x 7 corps = 2,520 bodies.

7 of the 8 unaffiliated mini-corps are from the East (NH, Erie, Rochester, PA, Albany, Boston and NJ). The only other independent is Star and nobody from their group is complaining out loud about travel costs and, interestingly, nobody has picked up the torch for them (haha). Average is 25 members, 2 staff and 2 family members per = 568 bodies.

The World Drum Corps Hall of Fame banquet brings family and friends. There's 100 members, new inductees, plus two family members per. That's another 300 persons.

Add it up and you have 6,238 LIVE PEOPLE that are VERY LIKELY to attend DCA Weekend in Rochester and this total only accounts for CURRENT membership. The prior members of all these corps and organizations are "interested parties" or people that DCA has a legitimate opportunity to deliver a marketing message to that says "Come to DCA!... And it ain't far to go!" The result is a sold out Finals 2 years in a row IN SPITE OF ECONOMIC CONDITIONS!

These numbers simply do not exist anywhere else in the country. And most of these numbers would be absolutely thrown out if the Championship was held elsewhere...Chicago or California or whatever. The corps MIGHT come (at a heavy travel tax for all), but their audience would likely stay home.

You are asking DCA to turn it's back on a near certainty in the hopes that the casual fan would show up to replace them.

I have been told my comments are "arrogant", but name-calling doesn't erase the systemic facts of business. We are, for all intents and purposes, an entertainment product. And DCA delivers that product to the consumer who is intensely loyal and is, for the most part, a repeat customer and a satisfied customer. These people show up year after year. This is a remarkable achievement built over 35 years.

To yank it away from sound business principles for the sake of "fairness" to the few (and I GET IT GUYS, California is a LONG TRIP) and potentially alienate the "many" misses the bigger picture. No decision will ever satisfy everyone, but DCA in the market or region that CAUSED it's success makes the most sense.

in a blunt way you say what I have said...right now the guaranteed fan base is in the East. WHEN the regions are built up, then, it will make sense.

Remember ALl corps make money on finals....and a sold out finals and large prelims crowd help.

going where there is NO guarantee of a sell out...and sorry, i refuse to believe at this point one will happen anwhere else....yet....corps dont make money or lose money.

that's not good