Shows that just don't 'work'

Blue Devils, 1998. Because nothing says "Classic Blue Devils" like show tunes and Russian ballet.

Just baffling.

Clearly not a traditional BD offering but I love that show. I thought they put the musical selections together brilliantly.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys ...

No fanboys allowed, but what about FluteBoys?

anyway, I can't resist ...

for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so

You had me goin' there for a sec, you rat ########! :lol:

Phew, he was kidding! Thank the gods! I was snookered for a while there, too. :lol:

I've seen Cavaliers 2007 mentioned a lot, but I would select 2005 for this thread before that year. To me, 2005 was more disjointed than any Cavaliers show this decade. There wasn't any connectivity between the movements, something that has set the Cavaliers apart and the mood that each movement was going for was so strikingly different. The 'traffic' opener was perfectly in the Cavaliers style, and the baseball section was quirky fun, but the ballad suffered from trying to switch gears (pun intended) so swiftly, and the jazzy closer was not just out of character for this corps but an ineffective was to bring the show home.

Some great and thoughtful answers here. I love when people just focus on one show and try to nail why it doesn't work for them. Makes for great reading.

i feel I need to restate, for some posters, that this thread is NOT intended to be a mindless bashing thread and it is NOT the same as the 'biggest mistakes' as shows that qualify here as not being cohesive, for example, can still have great pieces.

I love the percussion between phrases at the end of Cavies 97 and mentally insert it every time I hear the Firebird closer, whether orchestral or Phantom 07.

Incidentally, I've very little love for Winged Victory also but it's a great title! Basically if it's this or BD 94 on my playlist, it's Corea all the way.

SCV's Walton show in 93 leaves me cold. I can admire it, particularly the excellent closer but it always feels like it's skirting around the point musically. Perhaps it's a fault with Walton's music.

SCV's Walton show in 93 leaves me cold. I can admire it, particularly the excellent closer but it always feels like it's skirting around the point musically. Perhaps it's a fault with Walton's music.

Wow, just a matter of taste I guess but that 93 SCV otl is one of the greatest overlooked OTL's of all time, its melodical, full of dynamics, contrast, fanfare and intricacies. I thought they wrote and performed a great drill to it also...oh well.

Geoffrey

Might as well name this topic: "BD bashers pile on". I guess when you're that good, that long, it just grades on folks! I know the OP didn't intend this to be what it's become, but it was certanly predictable! Pathetic!

It "grates" on folks.

YOWZA

• 2 weeks later...

question....why are quite a few putting 98 BD in this mix? Is it because the music type is such a departure from their accepted genre? Personally, 98 BD is my most played audio file...

(granted, R & J/WSS would seem more appropriate coming from Garfield, but it's still some good stuff)