Capital Regiment's Return

True, but keep in mind that Cap Reg is in a good area for open class touring. The midwest is where the bulk of the shows are, especially in the first part of the season. Gotta figure that they could do a pretty good "first tour" up to Kalamazoo.

Truly the midwest is the best area for a regional tour. Just in that region you have Allentown, Kalamazoo regionals, and DCI Finals. Plus there are a ton of non-dci shows for them to attend.

However, it could hurt them being an open class corps with the likes of Phantom/Cavies/Bluecoats/Cadets/Glassmen all within reasonable driving distance of Columbus. Plus Colts/Madison/Bluestars for the people who live a little further.

Having marched in 2005 we were lucky we had Bryan Tract as tour director. We were fed and got pretty reasonable hours of sleep. We had some bus problems towards the beginning of the season that took away from our floor time, but that is just drum corps. I was shocked when I talked to old friends the following summer because it was night and day from my experience.

From a members perspective there weren't many major difficulties, of course there were problems I am sure that not many members knew about. However, it is clear that there were problems at Capital Regiment in 2006 and I hope they have fixed the problems.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone has asked me privately why I felt the need to make my original post. Why bring this all up again? Why do it here? Here are my answers to those questions.

I want the drum corps activity to thrive. In order to thrive, the activity needs quality organizations at all levels of the activity. I believe one characteristic of a quality organization is the presence of is a working board of directors that is ultimately responsible for the running of the organization. One of most important responsibilities of the board is to hire a quality executive to run the the organization and to regularly evaluate the executive's performance and the performance of the organization.

In Capital Regiment's case, I believe the board has always consisted of three persons or less one of which has always been Mr. Bays, the corps director and founder. With such a structure one can see that the board would most likely not function as a board should. From my personal experience with the organization I believe the board is a there in name only. As such, Mr. Bays has run Capital Regiment with no real oversight and scrutiny from a board of directors.

If there is no real board providing oversight to protect stakeholders including members, parents, volunteers, other corps, fans, etc. (or even if there is a real board) those of us who have directly witnessed problems and have had concerns about the operation of the organization need to speak up, ask questions, voice concerns so the organization knows that there are people who are not going to be content with the status quo. I am also confident that as part of the DCI evaluation process DCI will not only speak with those still involved with the organization but will also speak to those who are no longer involved with the organization but have experiences and concerns to share.

Why bring this up all over again and why post the questions on DCP? As another poster stated so well, "I have a moral obligation to other parents to help them know what to ask before they entrust their child's well-being to this oganization." Ditto.

But isn't this all just a bit of grandstanding. Your beef is with CR, their Board and with Mr. Bays. Again, I suggest you discuss things with Mr. Bays directly. If he won't return your call or reply to your email, you pretty much have your answer.

I believe after the 2006 season, all of the adminstrative, management and Board would want to create the best new first impression by...

1. Addressing the past failures.

2. Discussing the remedies, procedures, processes, personnel in place.

3. Taking it slowly.

I think the Open Class restart and the using the old uniforms speaks to the last point. The first two need to be addressed to potential future members.

For the members and parents of the 2006 version of Capital Regiment...yeah, you all got the short end. It's a tough break and one that could have been avoided....but, it's the past and nothing you do now can change that.

Again, there are two pressing questions on the organization...they must have strong and well thought out responses...everyone...the past members and parents and the prospective ones deserve this much.

But, it most likely will not be settled here on DCP. This is akin to not washing your laundry for two years and then hanging it out for the world to see. Not the appropriate forum. Mr. Bays and company owes DCP nothing. They owe their alumni, supporters, and prospective members the answers you seek.

But, it most likely will not be settled here on DCP. This is akin to not washing your laundry for two years and then hanging it out for the world to see. Not the appropriate forum. Mr. Bays and company owes DCP nothing. They owe their alumni, supporters, and prospective members the answers you seek.

If the questions aren't asked, there will be no answers. As already demonstrated on this thread, there are people who don't even know that answers are needed. Where other place than here is there for those prospective members to learn there are issues?

But isn't this all just a bit of grandstanding. Your beef is with CR, their Board and with Mr. Bays. Again, I suggest you discuss things with Mr. Bays directly. If he won't return your call or reply to your email, you pretty much have your answer.

Call me dense, but I don't get your grandstanding statement.

You are correct. I have a beef with CR (i.e. RB), their board(i.e. RB) and Mr. Bays but sending a private email to Mr. Bays would have served no purpose. Actually, he is not who I am directing this post to but I am sure he has already seen it.

In the few minutes that I have checked in on this thread to see what people have written, I have seen that the following people have viewed the thread.

Former Capital Regiment members

Former Capital Regiment members who have since marched elsewhere

A current CR board member

A current CR volunteer and a past parent of a corps member

Past parents of corps members

Someone who has been a driver for CR

Music educators and instructors

In addition I am sure there are even a few potential members and parents of potential member who have read this post.

Certainly there are among this list some people who should think about the questions I wrote and ask them themselves.

For the members and parents of the 2006 version of Capital Regiment...yeah, you all got the short end. It's a tough break and one that could have been avoided....but, it's the past and nothing you do now can change that.

Not trying to change the past. Just trying to make sure the past doesn't get repeated.

Open class

Ok, so we're still touring How will they do it differently?

Going back to old uniforms

So? That was never a concern. I never thought "my kid wasn't eating or getting medical care but wouldn't they look dandy in the old uniform?" Glad to see they are once again putting their focus on the "important" issues.

Financially secure?

They seemed to be secure in 06 too and had a great food truck and equip truck with a spiffy new paint job but somehow the numbers didn't add up on the road. Don't tell me theiy are secure. Make their financial statements open record. Where can we see copies? Most non profits publish this info somewhere.

Recognized '06 was a horrible year (ya think?) and would like to rebuild a new, better program.

There are many things I recognize and would like to do better but that isn't the point. That is an intention. WHAT do they intend to do to improve the program? Are they hiring new and experienced tour directors? Are they putting policies in place about bus drivers and minimum standards? Is there a head cook on the food truck? How will they handle volunteers? Where are they soliciting staff? Is there a policy in place about number of hours to work/rest? How many hydration breaks per hour? What are the policies in place regarding medical care for members and chase vehicles and hospital runs? Do they have a medical professional who is at their disposal? How large is the staff going to be? How many are instructional? How many are support?

I am afraid I need more concrete information than a Polyanna concept of "Gee, we blew it but we're better now. I promise to do better."

Just curious, what is your stake in all of this? Were you on the board at some time? Where you on Staff? Kids in the corps? Do they owe you money?

You ceem to have some pin point answers to your own questions which make me think you are in this more than we know.

Whoops sorry I see by you signature you were involved during the years everything started to go wrong, did you get out in time to save your own face or could you have stayed around to help save them from going down? How was it when they were a few spots from making finals?

Edited by CT-Horn

Just curious, what is your stake in all of this? Were you on the board at some time? Where you on Staff? Kids in the corps? Do they owe you money?

You ceem to have some pin point answers to your own questions which make me think you are in this more than we know.

Whoops sorry I see by you signature you were involved during the years everything started to go wrong, did you get out in time to save your own face or could you have stayed around to help save them from going down? How was it when they were a few spots from making finals?

Why so snarky? It seems as if you either have your own stake in this or have no knowledge of the underlying issues.

It wasn't as bad as 2005 or 2006, but the corps was still grossly mismanaged.

I was there. Got a problem with it?

Here's my question, posed from someone who has no axe to grind and no connection to the corps:

If you're the parent of, say, a 17 year old and s/he comes to you today wanting to march CR next season, would you allow it?

My opinion is, even if the director and Board's heart is in the right place, and even if the corps is back on decent financial footing, this same team has gotten into trouble before and apparently things were less than ideal even prior to '06. So, unless there were additions to the management team that I'd feel comfortable trusting, I'd tell my kid to pick another corps.

I'd love to see a strong corps come back to central Ohio. There's a model for bringing a corps back successfully. It's called Troopers.

You are correct.

And one of the first things that happened in Wyoming is that those individuals that had caused or allowed the problems to develop were dismissed and a new administration put in place. They tackled the issues head on and were very public with appropriate press releases about the progress being made. They helped a large and long time alumni and fan base know what was going on, the positive steps, and built our confidence up and made us want to give and support them.

To my knowledge, none of that has happened at CR.

I concur with those posters who say they need to let the drum corps community know what's been done to build our confidence and support of the organization.

Parents of corps age kids have to feel comfortable with where they send there child (young adult).

Contributors and supporters need to feel that the organizations they give to are doing the right things and that their money is not being wasted or misspent.