Rained out show

On July 23, 1989, the Colts had their home show scheduled in Dubuque, IA. I was a age out in the Phantom Regiment, and we were on the schedule of corps to compete that day. As we were warming up in the horn arc, the sky got more and more dark, until it started to rain. All of us went back on to the buses to protect the uniforms and plumes, and then the rain really started to come down. A few contras had been left out in the rain, and when they were noticed, someone yelled for the contras to get their horns. Well, by that time, the ground was a combination of grass and mud, and while a couple of the contras got their horns, one of them slipped and slid like he was on a slip and slide.

The show was eventually canceled, and the dirt road behind the stadium that lead to the other corps buses and all of the trucks was turned into a giant mud pit - which was quite fun for everyone for a while.

Anyone else have memories of that scrapped show?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 off the top of my head...

84 Greesville, SC...field was so wiped out all the corps did a standstill in theonly relatively dry corner of the field -- in teh endzone (audience appreciated it, tho!)

84 Pt. Huron....show's in progress...we're under the eaves of the gym entrance about to march over to teh field (we stayed at the rehearsal site) when someone (not me) asks Mike Moxley what do we do if it rains ('cause it had been off and off that day). Mike says "OK....IF it rains--" and the skies open up!

Back in the gym!

US Open Finals in early 1970's

I also remember a show that we were in in 1975 in Michigan (St. Claire Shores or Riverview - I think). As we were finishing our closer "Garden of Gethsemane" from Jesus Christ Superstar pitch black clouds were heading toward the stadium from the back side line. Lightning also was seen and from what I remember from audience members....it was quite the "light show" for that particular piece of music. We hurried to the busses and it poured!

SCV 2003. Don't remember the location. SCV arced up and played to the stands. Amazing, energetic performance. Crowd went nuts and chanted for an encore. SCV played Anima Mundi again. Awesome.

SCV 2005. Finals. Rain caused a delay. SCV re-warmed just outside the stadium juicing the crowd. Another performance of a lifetime.

On July 23, 1989, the Colts had their home show scheduled in Dubuque, IA. I was a age out in the Phantom Regiment, and we were on the schedule of corps to compete that day. As we were warming up in the horn arc, the sky got more and more dark, until it started to rain. All of us went back on to the buses to protect the uniforms and plumes, and then the rain really started to come down. A few contras had been left out in the rain, and when they were noticed, someone yelled for the contras to get their horns. Well, by that time, the ground was a combination of grass and mud, and while a couple of the contras got their horns, one of them slipped and slid like he was on a slip and slide.

The show was eventually canceled, and the dirt road behind the stadium that lead to the other corps buses and all of the trucks was turned into a giant mud pit - which was quite fun for everyone for a while.

Anyone else have memories of that scrapped show?

I wasn't at that show, but I had a very similar experience in '02 in Erie PA. We were warming up for the evening show of the North American Open when a huge black stormfront dropped in on us out of nowhere. Our drum caption Kevin Murphy came tearing towards the horn arc yelling "Run!" and we beat it back to the busses- only to have to spend the next two hours on the bus trying to wait out the storm. Eventually we just said #### it and left for our next show after DCI called the show.

1992, it rained ALOT that summer somewhere in Michigan. A couple of corps went before us and did standstills. We would have non of that. The audience was still there and paid to see a drum corps show so we marched and got a huge ovation prompting the remaining corps to march their shows also.

We hyped on rain all the time. In 84 we got rained on about 4 times on 2nd tour.

My #1 story is from 83. Ankeny, Iowa. Just before Whitewater. Our closest competition was going to be VK, so it looked like the first DCI show the Knights would ever win. We get to the show and the hype is strong, but so is the lightning. No rain yet, but then our manager comes onto the bus and tells us to "Kick back, put on a tune, and enjoy the light show." They cancelled the show and we never got off the bus. But I'm pretty sure it didn't rain a drp in Ankeny that night. We did well in Whitewater a few days later anyway.

Anyone remember the 1987 DCI Midwest Finals in St. Louis? I DO!

We were standing in the tunnel waiting to go on. Scouts were on the field when the bottom fell out. They finished their show but the

rest of the night was cancelled. It took all we could do not to get washed down the tunnel. The water was FLOWING!!!

later,

tony taylor