Has DCI lost the blue collar fan?

I'm not always pleased by the direction drum corps is going in, but some of you are pretty to delusional about drum corps' past, and specifically about DCIs past. DCI was founded by elite corps, for elite corps. It has always been an elite organization. Blue collar fans were brought in by the local corps who played shows at fairs, festivals, marched in parades, and were associated with local churches, veteran's orgs, scout troops, etc. Sure, a lot of these corps participated at DCI events, but DCI was never about the little corps, and bore no responsibility whatsoever for maintaining them, and bore no responsibility for their demise. That responsibility lies with the same trend that has weakened or wiped out old civil society organizations over the last few decades. Churches, scout troops, lodges, unions, veterans organizations, Jaycee clubs, mummers, bowling leagues, and organizations like these have all undergone drastic reductions in membership, and local drum corps have been affected in the same way. It's a broad social trend that DCI and those totally uncool bandos have no control over. But I know it's easier blame them.

th

It's pretty amusing that anyone believes drum corps was ever cool. You may have thought you were cool, but that's a lot different from being so.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not always pleased by the direction drum corps is going in, but some of you are pretty to delusional about drum corps' past, and specifically about DCIs past. DCI was founded by elite corps, for elite corps. It has always been an elite organization. Blue collar fans were brought in by the local corps who played shows at fairs, festivals, marched in parades, and were associated with local churches, veteran's orgs, scout troops, etc. Sure, a lot of these corps participated at DCI events, but DCI was never about the little corps, and bore no responsibility whatsoever for maintaining them, and bore no responsibility for their demise. That responsibility lies with the same trend that has weakened or wiped out old civil society organizations over the last few decades. Churches, scout troops, lodges, unions, veterans organizations, Jaycee clubs, mummers, bowling leagues, and organizations like these have all undergone drastic reductions in membership, and local drum corps have been affected in the same way. It's a broad social trend that DCI and those totally uncool bandos have no control over. But I know it's easier blame them.

th

It's pretty amusing that anyone believes drum corps was ever cool. You may have thought you were cool, but that's a lot different from being so.

C'mon admit it. It had to be a little more than "that band thing" it is now. I see a direct tie between DCI and more involved band programs. In this world of many things to do, Drum Corps has taken its niche as Summer Marching Band.

C'mon admit it. It had to be a little more than "that band thing" it is now. I see a direct tie between DCI and more involved band programs. In this world of many things to do, Drum Corps has taken its niche as Summer Marching Band.

After attending the drum corps/band of america competition in Normal, IL, the last couple of years....it is very obvious that is exactly where DCI wants to go in the future. The place was packed! I sat in a section where there were no drum corps fans to be found but PLENTY of new converts (parents and members) once the show was over. They were already collecting information and planning which corps they were going to 'apply for'. (I told them they needed to go to 'try out' not 'apply for').

This is the future of drum corps.

Not in my day (see sig). My non-corps friends had NO idea why I would want to do something as goofy as march around playing gosh awful arangements of pop tunes, old standards and patriotic music (this was the mid/late 60's to early 70's).

It was just "that band thing" to them even back then.

After attending the drum corps/band of america competition in Normal, IL, the last couple of years....it is very obvious that is exactly where DCI wants to go in the future. The place was packed! I sat in a section where there were no drum corps fans to be found but PLENTY of new converts (parents and members) once the show was over. They were already collecting information and planning which corps they were going to 'apply for'. (I told them they needed to go to 'try out' not 'apply for').

This is the future of drum corps.

IMO, this is part of what changed DCI (for better or worse). Just as most of the band members quit following band after they and their friends graduate, appears the same is happening in DCI. Granted a higher percentage of DCI people stick around awhile (aka legacy fans) but DCI seem to have to go almost full cycle every few years to find new fans to replace the ones who leave. IOW - DCI has turned into a continuation of HS band....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

DCA has been expanding rapidly over the last decade or so, while DCI has been experiencing negative growth in corps membership. There has to be a reason.

All the Rockford school marshing bands looked horrible the last few years of parades, so I am never surprised that few, if any, Rockford kids make Phantom Regiment.

Parents dont care, so kids dont care. Right now we are more involved with truency (sp) issues than a quality education. I live near Jefferson HS and altho they probably have the best music program in Rockford, its still a sad, sad place for kids to go to school.

....I fear for the future of Phantom Regiment in Rockford.......

See that happened in my home town, just outside of Rockford and they axed the band director and got a new one that made different programming choices to make band popular again...it worked too - of course, that town did not face some of the economic hardships or ‘city’ issues of Rockford – this was the last development I was aware of with that band program, not sure where there are now as this was several yeas back - so some parents did care about band and it came to a head after a football game halftime show

- I was kind of glad they canned that director too, he was there when I was there and was a bit of a stroke

maybe it depends upon the corps and where you lived, what you played but really, you could be cool and in corps they were not mutually exclusive - side note, I'm way past cool and only bring this up as a marketing stance to sell it to the kids and with whats going on with some guards, good luck making that cool - I know I have told that story here before of how I got my cool back from corps when we played in my town and my cool friends checked it out

I think it's a given that DCI lost the b/c fans, and true, back in the day, DCI was not the Sheppard of the activity but when they went after DCM and installed touring requirements and such – being the only game in town, that’s now their roll - which I think is a mistake too

I don’t know if it was a mistake to lose their b/c fans though, it’s different for sure and they’ll never have the broad based, tons of folks that did before but maybe this more targeted approach will suit them better later. Personally, I kind of doubt it and don’t see it but we’re not done yet

In my opinion, I liked the community involvement aspect better, when it was like a local spots team and you were really vested and they were your team – to be fair, I was white collar but got into it in a local b/c way and would have never jumped on this current bando wagon

maybe WGI has picked up where dci dropped the ball? I don't know though as I have not been to a wgi since show 1982 -but it seems more local, community, up start, kind of thing

Edited by cowtown

DCA has been expanding rapidly over the last decade or so, while DCI has been experiencing negative growth in corps membership. There has to be a reason.

There is little evidence of DCA massive expansion. The growth of 5-6 mini corps who have yet to compete in a finals event does not equate rapid expansion.

Also, the audience for DCA continues (as it does for DCI) to be very flat.

DCA and DCI still exist as a niche inside of a niche inside of a niche.

DCA inside of drum corps inside of marching activities.

Would an unsuspecting resident of any community hosting a show (maybe someone like your own neighbor) be very likely to give it a try at today's admission price?

I'm thinking, NO.

Agreed - good point

See that happened in my home town, just outside of Rockford and they axed the band director and got a new one that made different programming choices to make band popular again...it worked too - of course, that town did not face some of the economic hardships or ‘city’ issues of Rockford – this was the last development I was aware of with that band program, not sure where there are now as this was several yeas back - so some parents did care about band and it came to a head after a football game halftime show

- I was kind of glad they canned that director too, he was there when I was there and was a bit of a stroke

maybe it depends upon the corps and where you lived, what you played but really, you could be cool and in corps they were not mutually exclusive - side note, I'm way past cool and only bring this up as a marketing stance to sell it to the kids and with whats going on with some guards, good luck making that cool - I know I have told that story here before of how I got my cool back from corps when we played in my town and my cool friends checked it out

I think it's a given that DCI lost the b/c fans, and true, back in the day, DCI was not the Sheppard of the activity but when they went after DCM and installed touring requirements and such – being the only game in town, that’s now their roll - which I think is a mistake too

I don’t know if it was a mistake to lose their b/c fans though, it’s different for sure and they’ll never have the broad based, tons of folks that did before but maybe this more targeted approach will suit them better later. Personally, I kind of doubt it and don’t see it but we’re not done yet

In my opinion, I liked the community involvement aspect better, when it was like a local spots team and you were really vested and they were your team – to be fair, I was white collar but got into it in a local b/c way and would have never jumped on this current bando wagon

maybe WGI has picked up where dci dropped the ball? I don't know though as I have not been to a wgi since show 1982 -but it seems more local, community, up start, kind of thing

WGI has a scholastic component making it more local...DCI does not. Scholastic activities do not generally exist during the summer, however, perhaps if year round schools continue to grow, a new scholastic summer component could grow for DCI.

DCI was never charged with shepherding the drum corps activity...it is there for the member corps of DCI.

DCI never went after DCM. DCI announced the formation of DCI Central at the behest of centrally located DCI member corps who were not benefitting because of DCM's limited resource allocations (performance fees).

DCI offered its member corps a choice...stay at DeKalb on the second weekend of July and perform for DCM for $XXXX.XX or come to Michigan on the second weekend of July and perform for DCI Central for $XXXX.XX plus more $$$. The choice was given and the corps decided it was better to go for the higher performance fee.

I believe DCM continued to exist for a few years after DCI Central was formed.