Hornline Scoring in 2008, or before

Good god...Phantom won the #### show, why are you people now harping on BD beating them in brass? BD's brass WAS better. Just because you LIKE Phantom's brass more doesn't make them better. "Better" is not subjective, it is based on criteria that trained judges (who I am 99% sure are more competent to judge brass than you are ) determine who is the best each year. I guess they should have swept all captions too huh?

I never thought a group of people could make me actually start to dislike a corps based on their rampant fanaticism. Drum Corps Planet should be renamed "Phantom Regiment for Phantom Phans Only, if You Have Anything to Say That is Not 100% Kissing Phantom's ### Then Don't Post Here Planet".

I am certainly not going to pretend to be qualified to judge brass, but I have been involved in music enough to recognize good arranging. Both corps' arrangers did an outstanding job of creating charts to represent the programs well. I'm not going to say that I thought one corps deserved first in brass over the other. What I will say is that I have read posts on DCP that refer to Phantom as loud, crass and out of tune. After listening multiple times to the APDs from Quarterfinals, I feel Phantom had slight intonation issues at two points in the show (the mellos at the end of the number before the ballad) and the full corps during the part with the 4 to 5 jazz running at the end. I was also there live and I heard this but it was minor and did not capture my attention. Blue Devils, on the APD are severely out of tune at the end of their show while they are just walking to the sideline out of formation - and quite crass sounding at that point. That is the only time I felt like they had a brass quality lapse, but I don't know why they did because there was no drill taking place and it was much more noticeable live than Phantom's issues.

I sure have not noticed rampant fanaticism around Phantom Regiment on DCP (even though there is alot of excitement) and for you to be so offended makes me believe that you did not like them in the first place. Again, just an observation - doesn't make me correct.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, it's a discussion forum! If there are more Phantom fans, what are they suppose to do not participate? State your case and get off of other peoples' backs.

And I'm discussing how tired I am of hearing how Phantom's show was the best show of all time and they should have gotten a score of 100 and how I AM SPARTACUS!

I sure have not noticed rampant fanaticism around Phantom Regiment on DCP (even though there is alot of excitement) and for you to be so offended makes me believe that you did not like them in the first place. Again, just an observation - doesn't make me correct.

I find it almost impossible to believe that you made this statement.

I golfed with Paul McGarr last weekend, and we talked about finals night...

I find it almost impossible to believe that you made this statement.

Oh, I've seen people praising the show, just like we see every year about the winning show. But I have actually seen on this forum and others more whining by fans of other corps. Not by alumni or staff or members, but fans.

Actually, when I review the threads, I see more fanatical comments about Carolina Crown than Phantom Regiment - and I think not only does the corps deserve to be praised, but the fans deserve the right to express their appreciation of the show. But that doesn't bother you, it's just when it's about Phantom Regiment.

Good god...Phantom won the #### show, why are you people now harping on BD beating them in brass? BD's brass WAS better. Just because you LIKE Phantom's brass more doesn't make them better. "Better" is not subjective, it is based on criteria that trained judges (who I am 99% sure are more competent to judge brass than you are ) determine who is the best each year. I guess they should have swept all captions too huh?

I never thought a group of people could make me actually start to dislike a corps based on their rampant fanaticism. Drum Corps Planet should be renamed "Phantom Regiment for Phantom Phans Only, if You Have Anything to Say That is Not 100% Kissing Phantom's ### Then Don't Post Here Planet".

You know your argument sucks when anyone could say the exact same thing right back. Just change the words "Phantom" and "BD" and you've got a perfect retort. My mind is blown. just...blown.

(1) I believe the thread was about scoring in brass.......not about Phantom's win or "liking" or disliking" a show.

(2) So, I guess my MM in Music Performance, BS in Music Ed., championship ring, 31 years in the activity,

touring as a road musician, years as a music educator, and time as a corps aranger and instructor

mean that I am not qualified to comment on brass performance..............I'll take an aurals test with

those guys any time, any place......If BD's brass WAS better, why were they clocked in ensemble?

The answer is simple....only because the field guys missed alot.............

(3) No, Cavs-BD deserved 1/2 in visual. However, if they earned 19.9's and 20's in visual then I must be

Stevie Wonder..................

(4) Rampant fanaticism? I marched in a corps that competed AGAINST Phantom, and taught 2 other finalists......

and I'm a fanatic because I thought Phantom (and Crown) were strong??

I think your "Phantom fanatic" rant is irrelevant here, as the post by the original author was about brass scoring/evaluation.....period....

GB

I think it's hard to say for sure which brass lines are better if you're not on the field sampling each player's and each section's quality of sound, intonation, blend, articulations, etc....

I think it's hard to say for sure which brass lines are better if you're not on the field sampling each player's and each section's quality of sound, intonation, blend, articulations, etc....

Perhaps true to an extent, especially in a close call,......but if there are problems evident in the stands, then they are usually REALLY evident on the field.....conversely, if someone is absolutely stellar in the stands, that usually shows up on the field, too......I know I am in the minority with my next comment, but I do not know that it is really musical to be running around with your ear right in front of a brass bell( or 1 ft. in front of a drum).....I doubt we would ever judge an orchestra, concert band, or brass band with the judge on his hands and knees crawling around on the stage......field performance is unique to drum corps/marching band, as it is a byproduct of the "tick" era, where individual errors were noted and actually counted. If there are problems with individuals or sections, I find that I can hear it in the stands, and if I can't, they are hiding it very, very well.

By the way, I see you were a Cadet this year......I thought your brass line did an excellent job (I would have had you third in brass behind Phantom/Crown)......

GB