Star United and the Finals Exhibition

I wasnt there to see this show. I've never seen Star United. I actually dont have anything whatsoever to do with drum corps at all anymore......

But....I've been around long enough to earn my say on this matter.

Star United competed and won the mini corps title within the limits of the rules given. That's about that.

No rules were broken, no animals were harmed during the performance, no governments were overthrown (someone correct me if I'm wrong about the governments and/or animals)

Star United won. Deal with it.

Here is HOW you deal with it, IMO......

Current Mini-Corps Standings for 2009 as of 9/3/08

1. Star United 00.00

1. Mass Brass 00.00

1. Golden Eagles 00.00

1. Music City Legend 00.00

1. Ghost Riders 00.00

1. Minne Brass 00.00

1. Thunderbirds 00.00

1. Capitol Brass 00.00

1. Amoskeag 00.00

1. Outlaws 00.00

1. Crossmen Xtreme 00.00

11 way tie for first.......you have approximately 360 days to get to 100.00.........GO!!!!!

If you dont like Star United, or the music they play, or where they come from (be it geographically or idealogically).......GO CHASE YOUR 100.00 AND KNOCK THEM DOWN!!!!!

But for the love of God.....PLEASE stop being whiny #####es about them!!!!!!

This is a competitive activity. They were the best entry that night in the opinion of those that lay the numbers on the paper, and they were such within the limits of mini-corps law.

Get over it and go be better than them if you dont like it.

Thanks for listening. I'm going back to retirement and obscurity. I like it there.

THANK YOU GLEN!!!

some people may not like what you just said, but you just wrapped up the whole scenario and sent it out there with a bow.

i, for one, keep laughing at the concept of some people being deemed "professional". i never realized that music teachers weren't welcome in this activity and if you had one or more you were loading your deck for an unfair advantage. all this time i've been in drum corps i've been surrounded by music teachers and thought having them in drum corps was 100% completely NORMAL. and yes, some of them even take some part time gigs to help pay the bills. especially those bills that drum corps travel contributes to. but apparently they are just wrong, wrong, wrong to be involved in this great activity and should just be sitting back watching, or better yet, complaining. and i was equally as wrong for thinking they added to the mix. who knew?

and i guess, like Star Alumni, the Bridgemen are equally wrong for being involved in DCA. after all i've heard more than a few times how we're ruining the alumni activity by modernizing it. to think i was proud of having finished my 4 season with the corps to find out we really don't belong here because the corps had its roots in *GASP* DCI. as i mentioned earlier in the thread if we ever sent a mini-corps we'd probably be equally targeted in that arena too.

guess the "Good Ole Boys Club" still rules. or maybe it is just that the good ole boys think they should still be making all the rules and any rules that are made that are inclusive to new groups are wrong? :sad: either way, i'm really disappointed that this is what the area of mini-corps is degenerating into. an "Us vs. Them" type of mentality isn't helpful to the activity IMO. i've said it time and time again. we do have a tendency to eat our own here. and that will eventually be the downfall of this activity. :sad:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know Glen ~ you're gonna lose sleep over it . . . :sad:

THANK YOU GLEN!!!

some people may not like what you just said, but you just wrapped up the whole scenario and sent it out there with a bow.

i, for one, keep laughing at the concept of some people being deemed "professional". i never realized that music teachers weren't welcome in this activity and if you had one or more you were loading your deck for an unfair advantage. all this time i've been in drum corps i've been surrounded by music teachers and thought having them in drum corps was 100% completely NORMAL. and yes, some of them even take some part time gigs to help pay the bills. especially those bills that drum corps travel contributes to. but apparently they are just wrong, wrong, wrong to be involved in this great activity and should just be sitting back watching, or better yet, complaining. and i was equally as wrong for thinking they added to the mix. who knew?

and i guess, like Star Alumni, the Bridgemen are equally wrong for being involved in DCA. after all i've heard more than a few times how we're ruining the alumni activity by modernizing it. to think i was proud of having finished my 4 season with the corps to find out we really don't belong here because the corps had its roots in *GASP* DCI. as i mentioned earlier in the thread if we ever sent a mini-corps we'd probably be equally targeted in that arena too.

guess the "Good Ole Boys Club" still rules. or maybe it is just that the good ole boys think they should still be making all the rules and any rules that are made that are inclusive to new groups are wrong? :sad: either way, i'm really disappointed that this is what the area of mini-corps is degenerating into. an "Us vs. Them" type of mentality isn't helpful to the activity IMO. i've said it time and time again. we do have a tendency to eat our own here. and that will eventually be the downfall of this activity. :worthy:

Liz,

While I'm in agreement with you, let's not go overboard on this issue. There's really only a few dumb ##### that have spoken out against open competition. The vast majority of posters have expressed their feelings in favor of healthy competition from anyone willing to put in the time and effort to be great. :sad:

As one of the folks who performed on Friday night, I'm disappointed that there have been so few actual reviews of the Mini Corps show. :worthy:

Many of us on this forum have been mired in this foolishness of sniping at each other instead of writing reviews and sharing commentary on the various show designs, performance, and placement of the corps. I have very little idea how many of my fellow competitors fared, since I was unable to catch many of their shows.

It sucks for the performers to have worked so hard in preparation for their shows, only to have it lost in this garbage.

How about it everyone, can we just move on and discuss the results of all of that hard work that was on display Friday night? :worthy:

OK, I read all 12 pages.

Like Ponzo, I say, Congrats Star United. You deserve a backpack stuffed with medals for your performance. You run as smooth as OS 10 in a world full of PCs. Issue a trophy and a bus parking pass to the minicorps champ.

I have friends in many of the minicorps, including Star United. May the best performance win. Bring it on!!!

CVQuesty is a good friend of mine who does get the Big Picture as someone else said. The point is that he was defending Star United, a noble venture in this thread.

Off-topic: I'm still teed off that most the competitive corps don't come out on the Alumni Spectacular morning to support all alumni. Cabs competitive corps cut their rehearsal short to come out and support the Cabs Alumni but don't time it to get there to support any other alumni. That still gives Cabs competitive first place in supporting alumni even when they have to run into the stadium to support their Cabs Alumni. (What a sight to see the entire corps running.)

With all that being said, your comments about the alumni corps were still foolish and uncalled for. Maybe if you thought about how many people you might be offending before you post, it would make for less of these posts.

Frank, I have nothing but respect for you, but you really need to read my clarification of what I said.

You are mischaracterizing my assertion and subsequent supporting comments to mean what you think I meant, and not what I actually meant. Since you are who you are, and you deserve deference, I'll quote it here for you:

You may be correct, as that is clearly not what I am saying. That's why I reiterated and then reinforced what I said earlier with more clarity.

There's an entire weekend of events covering the entire gambit of the activity. If what is happening in the minicorps activity is not to their liking, then perhaps Alumni or Open Class or A or...or...or...

Clearly not a shot at the Alums. I really wish I could get to see them every year. I only ever get to see whomever is in exhibition at whatever show we happen to be up in the Northeast for each year, and that's precious few.

Don't let emotional reaction get in the way of the facts of my premise, argument, and supporting statements. I have made two separate clarifications of my position in this thread, and you've used the one which most fits your assertion, and it's patently not true.

I'll say it again. If the changes, occurrences, happenings, etc. going on at the minicorps competition are not to your liking, perhaps you would be better served in another event during the DCA weekend. REGARDLESS of whether it's Alums, DCA Open Class, Class A, I&E competitions, or whatever. WHATEVER floats your boat, go do that. Just don't be a royal pain in the ### and scream and yell moronic interjections between numbers while a corps is performing.

It has also come out in this very thread that they got more of the same when performing on Sunday night including jeers and the finger!! THE FINGER!!! what kind of class is that?

detractors need to get ahold of themselves and remember that THIS. IS. A. HOBBY. There is nothing so important, it should cause you to act the way people have been acting toward SU. And again, if it isn't your cup of tea, maybe the Alum. Spec. is. Or the DCA field shows on Saturday and Sunday.

Ok, I've said it three times now in different ways. If that still bothers you, then I've sorely overestimated you.

You run as smooth as OS 10 in a world full of PCs. Issue a trophy and a bus parking pass to the minicorps champ.

Cozy did this one for me. Nothing to see here, move along. LOL! :D

CVQuesty is a good friend of mine who does get the Big Picture as someone else said. The point is that he was defending Star United, a noble venture in this thread.

So, Glen and Cozy get it. Come on, Frank. :D

You know good and well I wasn't denigrating the alumni activity.

And then Andyroo:

Marwan has attempted clarify your comment. I'm telling you that your comment was a slam against all those who participate in alumni corps, not to mention the thousands who shelled out big bucks to watch them on Sunday morning.

I've seen nowhere that you went to the Alumni Spectacular on Sunday morning. Perhaps you should have. Possibly you could have learned something.

As my sig clearly states, I'm a staffer in an Open Class corps. We were rehearsing Sunday morning.

Unfortunately, were I there, we'd not be in the "big dance", and I'd much rather see the alumni on DVD (which I buy every single year) than not play on Sunday night.

If you still hold this view, you're just not comprehending what you're reading from me any more. You're dead wrong.

Please give him a mulligan.

That's enough Our Father's and Hail Mary's for one person.

He regrets the choice of words. We don't need a pound of flesh from one of our brothers.

Please. Benefit of the doubt. Please?

Star United competed and won the mini corps title within the limits of the rules given. That's about that.

No rules were broken, no animals were harmed during the performance, no governments were overthrown (someone correct me if I'm wrong about the governments and/or animals)

Well we did watch Team America on the way to Rochester. That's kind of like overthrowing a government, except with puppets right?

(oops! did I give away our secret?)

reviews would be nice. The most we get is to hear some groups warming up and wishing each other luck as we pass outside the convention center.

Kim