Star United and the Finals Exhibition

For Erie this year we have no professionals by others definitions, two by mine, one who sells investment securities, the other a printing teacher...........the rest are: 3 current music majors in college, a guy who almost died from a head injury, a grade school principle, a drug store clerk, three factory workers, A retired boiler maker, A doctor, a hotel night auditor, a computer network dude, a retired FDA microbioligist, a chef, a CAD drafter, a tire changer, and a newly licensed music teacher who is looking for a full time gig,...............

editted cuz I missed two

Slight correction Gary.......I'm a retired Journeyman Steamfitter.....Boiler Makers are my drink of choice. I can see how you might get confused. Just sayin....... :innocent:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou Frank Ponzo, very well put my friend.

I stay out of things like this but you all know that the I&E and Mini Show is something I take deep pride in. The rules of who can enter were re written a couple of years ago to allow all kinds of groups to enter.

Every group that goes on that stage I feel is a small part of me and most of you directers know that. I make it a point to listen to each an everyone of you. With the acception of New Hampshire, I spent time with every group this year and will be sure to look them up in Albany.

By far everyone knows that Star is something special. Donnie, Frank, Strutta, Tom Mac and the list goes on, all chimmed in, "we'll get them, we can get to that level."

I thought the night was wonderful, don't let threads like this hinder your growth.

Stars performance at finals brought a tear to my eye, 1) because I thought it was outstanding and 2nd because it spoke so well for the Mini activity.

Looking forward to seeing you in Albany.

Edited by Rap48

Thankyou Frank Ponzo, very well put my friend.

I stay out of things like this but you all know that the I&E and Mini Show is something I take deep pride in. The rules of who can enter were re written a couple of years ago to allow all kinds of groups to enter.

Every group that goes on that stage I feel is a small part of me and most of you directers know that. I make it a point to listen to each an everyone of you. With the acception of New Hamshire, I spent time with every group this year and will be sure to look them up in Albany.

By far everyone knows that Star is something special. Donnie, Frank, Strutta, Tom Mac and the list goes on, all chimmed in, "we'll get them, we can get to that level."

I thought the night was wonderful, don't let threads like this hinder your growth.

Stars performance at finals brought a tear to my eye, 1) because I thought it was outstanding and 2nd because it spoke so well for the Mini activity.

Looking forward to seeing you in Albany.

NICE!

:innocent:

Well Tom,

If we're comparing pedigrees, Mass Brass has one current Music Educator, one retired Music Educator (who hadn't played a drum set in 26 years until 8 weeks ago and bailed us out!) and a couple of us had a cup of coffee at Berklee 30 years ago (and then put the horns away for 26 years). As you can see, the vast majority of our corps is comprised of good ole' fashioned drum corps types that aren't afraid of a little hard work and sweat.

The point being, that while a strong musical background is certainly an advantage, it is not the only way to be competitive. We are certainly not whining about our relative lack of professional experience when compared to other organizations, it just means that we need to work harder than those that may be more gifted musically or have a stronger musical education background.

MCA ROCKS! :innocent:

Truth be told, we do have a couple of Hall of Famers that are in their sixties but play like their in their twenties! We have a husband and wife who play Mello and their only degree is in the amt. of miles they travel to practice. The closest our Sop line ever came to a degree was "what degree the offense was".

As Paul has mentioned, lets get over it, Mass Brass had a horse in this race and we came up short, after the Albany show we will immediatly start working on next years show and our goal will be to beat the best and that would be Star! Like or dislike their style, you can't possibly dislike the way they Play!

That being said, we still want to play them in hockey!

Have one concern about what I noticed between last year and this one at the Mini corps contest. Last year had 18(?) groups which was a bit much even for me but there were groups that were less jaw dropping but still entertaining. This year there were 11 groups and none were in the "lower" (hate that word) catagory like last year. Can't think of any newer groups either.

Hoping this is not a trend where only excellent groups and people do Mini Corps. Let's not forget that one of Minis assets is to give a startup group a place to.... well... start up.

And #### gotta have a place for the rest of us. :innocent:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

To RAP48...

I totally agree with you as well. I just hope that DCA knows that we are very serious about this and this part of the weekend should NOT be overlooked.

We'll talk!

Donny

Dick and Donny.........what we saw this weekend seemed to be an activity in transition. The bar keeps getting raised and we're all better for it. The mutual respect each minicorps showed towards each other is what makes us kind of special. The kids in Xtreme, both last years' vet's and newbies, saw what can be done and how it can be achieved. We also recognized to what we can aspire. We may not get to THAT level, but the dedication to attempt it will be there.

Dick has done a phenominal job and your recommendations and improvements to the sheets are a great start to constant improvement Donny. Hey, as Roman B. says, "Better Every Day". So, can we agree that we all make it "Better Every Year"?

Joe

Have one concern about what I noticed between last year and this one at the Mini corps contest. Last year had 18(?) groups which was a bit much even for me but there were groups that were less jaw dropping but still entertaining. This year there were 11 groups and none were in the "lower" (hate that word) catagory like last year. Can't think of any newer groups either.

Hoping this is not a trend where only excellent groups and people do Mini Corps. Let's not forget that one of Minis assets is to give a startup group a place to.... well... start up.

And #### gotta have a place for the rest of us. :blink:

Jim,

there was one, remarkable, new entry: MCL :innocent:

There were, apparently, several reasons for corps' not returning this year; just as there were different reasons for the same corps ENTERING last year.

It's obviously going to take an excellent program to win this category.

But (IMO) it remains a legitimate venue for programs looking for a place to start, aspiring or returning field corps looking for an intermediate step to get to the field, an extra performance opportunity for some members of alumni and competition corps'.... as well as a place for those who "specialize" as a "Mini".

It's all good!

Edited by brassomaniac

Let me rephrase my earlier post to new organization instead of Mini Corps. Some of those MCL Mini guys looked awful familiar Saturday afternoon. :innocent:

And having been with a rebuilding corps, the startups and re-startups are always important to me along with (IMO) being important to the activity. Glad Minis and MCA is there to help.

And I just miss not seeing and talking to the Derby City folks. :blink:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Tom and Jimmy........you said it right.........IT'S ALL GOOD, BABY!!!!!!!!

J

Jim,

there was one, remarkable, new entry: MCL :innocent:

There were, apparently, several reasons for corps' not returning this year; just as there were different reasons for the same corps ENTERING last year.

It's obviously going to take an excellent program to win this category.

But (IMO) it remains a legitimate venue for programs looking for a place to start, aspiring or returning field corps looking for an intermediate step to get to the field, an extra performance opportunity for some members of alumni and competition corps'.... as well as a place for those who "specialize" as a "Mini".

It's all good!