Star United and the Finals Exhibition

Probably for the same reason the Bridgemen are allowed into the Alumni show.

and Boston and St. Joes

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we did watch Team America on the way to Rochester. That's kind of like overthrowing a government, except with puppets right?

(oops! did I give away our secret?)

reviews would be nice. The most we get is to hear some groups warming up and wishing each other luck as we pass outside the convention center.

Kim

Oh that's easy....take the reviews from the last couple of years and change the dates!! :innocent:

I support Star all the way as long as they keep the DM ( old teenage crushes die hard)

unless she's replaced by Ashley!

Gary Matczak,

I'm sure you're going to be offended by this, but be thankful for what I'm about to say. My first instinct was to write something much shorter and more emotional. It went something like this: "Oh my god? Please shut up!!!!" Thankfully I thought better and came up with this instead:

How can you get so bent out of shape over an argument of semantics. I really think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. Even when presented with a very strong explanation of the word "professional," you see and hear only what you want to. You're going to have to just let this one go because honestly, the more you speak, the less convincing you become.

Secondly, how is Jeff's statement "Being a music educator has nothing to do with the quality of a player. As a professional player you should know that" to be considered an insult? Do you think he is insulting music educators? Are you interpreting the last sentence of the statement as an insult to you? I just want to know how you see this as an insult. I think everybody in the activity has had exposure to an educator who may not have been the greatest player, but really had a knack for teaching music. Conversely, there are also great musicians who have no business teaching anybody because they lack the skills to relate and communicate the keys to their abilities to those of talents lesser than their own.

How many people on this thread actually heard their own high school band director play regularly when you were in school? My students hear me play all the time, but that's because keeping up my chops is part of my philosophy. Not every teacher shares that and you know it. Many band directors put the horn in the closet when they start teaching and they are perfectly successful teachers. Many of them put it in the closet because they weren't all that great to begin with, but they did what they had to to get their degree and get into what they really wanted to do. As painful as it sounds, the old saying "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." didn't just appear one day as a harmless joke. While it does not apply to all teachers, it is still nonetheless steeped in truth and we all know it.

So please, get over it. I was the baritone soloist with the Renegades Mini-Corps last year. We took second to SU and I was happy to be there, particularly given the relatively small amount of time we had rehearsed.

And seriously. how many professional musicians can there really be in Indiana? (Kidding. Just taking a jab at all of my Indiana friends.)

OK Jerald.....mulligan given.....but in the future, instead of my mischaracterizing your assertion and subsequent supporting comments to mean what I think you meant, write what you really mean!!!! :innocent: (in other words, I am not a mind reader!!!) LOL

My problem is that I felt like you insinuated (my spelling sucks....) that I was the one who made those horrible comments about Star, when all along I have supported them, cheered for them, partied with them and so on. I will bet my life that you will not find one negative comment here on DCP that I have made geared towards Star. No way, no how. Then you singled out the Alumni in your original post, and that just boiled my juices.....if you know what I mean. Sorry if I went overboard, and I do appreciate your comments about me personally.

I am a HUGE fan of the activity, and a HUGE fan of Star. What Star puts on the table every year is simply put....AMAZING! I am in awe of their technical ability, and am floored by their musicality. Since they have come into the activity on a DCA level, THEY have been the corps to beat, and THEY are the corps that we (The Golden Eagles) use as the example. You can ask any member of my hornline as I am teaching them.

Do I want to beat Star? You bet your a*s I do. And I am sure, when someone does beat Star, they will be right there supporting the new winner as well, just as all of the competitors did this past weekend.

Now......simply put......and this goes to EVERYONE.....

If you don't like what Star is serving on the table, don't eat off of it. We really don't need your snide comments, and rude insults. No one, who is working hard to put a quality product (or any kind of product for that matter) in front of you deserves that....NO ONE. And that goes for ALL corps, whether it be Open Class, A Class, Alumni, or Mini Corps and yes, even DCI corps. I really don't care if you like what I'm saying or not......it's just downright disrespectful. Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute.....and imagine that was you up on stage or on the field, and you heard that about your organization. How would YOU feel? I'm sure that Star is really burning up about all this crap, but they are being the better people about it by NOT commenting too much on it, and saying "they feed off of it". To them I say, GOOD FOR YOU!

Now, as Glen put it, Everyone starts the 2009 season with a 0.00. You want to beat Star at their game, get started NOW. I for one am eager to get started for 2009, and be with the Golden Eagles as we are standing on the field next year playing in the finals exhibition. And I am absolutely CERTAIN that if this is done, Star will be right there supporting us, and congratulating us.

Enough said......

Edited by FPonzo

Gary Matczak,

I'm sure you're going to be offended by this,.............(and a lot of other stuff)

Hey Dav, I am not offended at all..............I am not a music educator,...................and, I don't take shots at them either,......commentary on here is hard to judge what is satire and serious commentary,................just like your comments about educators................

I consider myself a professional musician, I play drumset, as a sub for local combos, big bands, the Phil once or twice in my life, etc. but I guess in the eyes of some, I am not a professional,.................time to stop paying those union dues I guess and find my place on the sidelines,..............

Other posters asked questions, some in the wrong manner,..............but they are questions none the less,...............

Others answered the questions in a way that left further questions,...................and I followed up,.........sorry for asking,..................

As I've said a few times now,...............PLEASE review MY posts, bring forward what you find offensive, and I'll address it, appologize, clarrify, whatever,............

Now......simply put......and this goes to EVERYONE.....

If you don't like what Star is serving on the table, don't eat off of it. We really don't need your snide comments, and rude insults. No one, who is working hard to put a quality product (or any kind of product for that matter) in front of you deserves that....NO ONE. And that goes for ALL corps, whether it be Open Class, A Class, Alumni, or Mini Corps and yes, even DCI corps. I really don't care if you like what I'm saying or not......it's just downright disrespectful. Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute.....and imagine that was you up on stage or on the field, and you heard that about your organization. How would YOU feel? I'm sure that Star is really burning up about all this crap, but they are being the better people about it by NOT commenting too much on it, and saying "they feed off of it". To them I say, GOOD FOR YOU!

Now, as Glen put it, Everyone starts the 2009 season with a 0.00. You want to beat Star at their game, get started NOW. I for one am eager to get started for 2009, and be with the Golden Eagles as we are standing on the field next year playing in the finals exhibition. And I am absolutely CERTAIN that if this is done, Star will be right there supporting us, and congratulating us.

Enough said......

Amen!!!

And that being said........... only 23 days until the MCA Championship in Albany!!!!! :innocent:

:innocent:

Hey Tom and Erin.......

You forgot to mention.......

MCA ROCKS!!!!!!

:blink: