Star United and the Finals Exhibition

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Star United, the minicorps is all they do- and then only at I&Es as far as the fans can tell...

They don't belong to MCA:

Okay ... so, let's take this in context ... until recently, DCA was the only venue where mini-corps competed - MCA or not ... the past two years have seen venues offerd by Harrisburg, BHOF in Bridgeport and Garfield, the Bridgemen's I&E show and now, the first-ever, MCA Championships in Albany ... in years past Sky ran an I&E show with a mini category ... Boston Sr and the CT Alumni showed up ...

Having been an I&E guy from the 60's, I find no offense to SU competing in their I&E category - check the other categories and tell me how many "one time" competitors show up at the only venue available ... DCA ... lots of 'em ...

The mini segment is in its infancy ... and just now, after several years of existance, the MCA is having their very first championship ... and guess what? ... not all the member corps can make it ...

Some of the comments I read make it sound like the MCA is a fledging cirrcuit with multiple shows during the year ... just ain't so yet ... maybe SU will formally join ... maybe a midwest MCA show is a real possibility in the near future ... with Minnie Brass, SU, Steel an other as potential competitors ... sounds nice ...

Let's see how things fold out over the next few years as MCA (and maybe the SDCA) takes shape ...

Andy "your cordial MCA Championship MC" Lisko

Okay ... so, let's take this in context ... until recently, DCA was the only venue where mini-corps competed - MCA or not ... the past two years have seen venues offerd by Harrisburg, BHOF in Bridgeport and Garfield, the Bridgemen's I&E show and now, the first-ever, MCA Championships in Albany ... in years past Sky ran an I&E show with a mini category ... Boston Sr and the CT Alumni showed up ...

Having been an I&E guy from the 60's, I find no offense to SU competing in their I&E category - check the other categories and tell me how many "one time" competitors show up at the only venue available ... DCA ... lots of 'em ...

The mini segment is in its infancy ... and just now, after several years of existance, the MCA is having their very first championship ... and guess what? ... not all the member corps can make it ...

Some of the comments I read make it sound like the MCA is a fledging cirrcuit with multiple shows during the year ... just ain't so yet ... maybe SU will formally join ... maybe a midwest MCA show is a real possibility in the near future ... with Minnie Brass, SU, Steel an other as potential competitors ... sounds nice ...

Let's see how things fold out over the next few years as MCA (and maybe the SDCA) takes shape ...

Andy "your cordial MCA Championship MC" Lisko

I know MCA is in it's beginning stages, but have they thought about working with the Brass Bands of America to develop a brass band hybrid circuit. I think the only limiting feature in the past was the instrumentation??? Oh yeah, and the DC folks don't wear tuxes.

Yeah, so we've had 6 sponsors step up, this year, and create some venues.... :smile:

.. now we just need corps, individual competitors, and spectators to support them by attending... and maybe they'll continue on... maybe even more will sprout up.

... but only if we have participants and butts in the seats.

SO..... KUDOS to those Sponsors, Corps', Individuals and Spectators who HAVE supported the I&E /Mini-Corps movement this year. :thumbup:

.... time for some more of ya'll to come out, if you want to see this area grow!

BTW: we supported all 6 events - performing in 5 (Albany still to come, of course) and our crew ran the Harrisburg Mini-Corps show. We didn't do the job we had hoped to, at the DCA Mini-Corps event; but our guys have been going over the road to entertain at, and support, the I&E shows shows since February; with multiple performances at each one.

Edited by brassomaniac

I'll go,...................but you'll need to join MCA first,............ :thumbup:

I know that we need efforts in other parts of the country, to provide for corps outside the Northeast.

But, the corps' in MCA have really been doing some trailblazing; and dues-paying; that will benefit all.

So, it wouldn't be such a bad thing to join the organization, in support of the group that is producing shows, testing the market, working out judging formats, and forging ahead with this thing.

Minne Brass is a current member :smile: , even though they don't get any direct benefit from the existing shows.

And I know that Erie and CrossmenXtreme have been very supportive of the Championship, despite it not being on a date that could work for them this year.

We all have to look a little further down the line, than just this season. We're building something... one large brick at a time.

Edited by brassomaniac

I know that we need efforts in other parts of the country, to provide for corps outside the Northeast.

But, the corps' in MCA have really been doing some trailblazing; and dues-paying; that will benefit all.

So, it wouldn't be such a bad thing to join the organization, in support of the group that is producing shows, testing the market, working out judging formats, and forging ahead with this thing.

Minne Brass is a current member:thumbup: , even though they don't get any direct benefit from the existing shows.

And I know that Erie and CrossmenXtreme have very supportive of the Championship, despite it not being on a date that could work for them this year.

We all have to look a little further down the line, than just this season. We're building something... one large brick at a time.

Speach!,.............Speach!,.....................Excellent Tom!

Perhaps Star United, as the Big Dog on the circuit doesnt see any need to travel any more than they already do? Thats what we're reading from some East Coasters on the general subject of travelling outside the East for contests, so I'm wondering how this is different?

I know MCA is in it's beginning stages, but have they thought about working with the Brass Bands of America to develop a brass band hybrid circuit. I think the only limiting feature in the past was the instrumentation??? Oh yeah, and the DC folks don't wear tuxes.

Hey Eddie ... that's why I'm from the City and you're not ... LOL ...

As far as MCA reaching out to BBoA, you'll have to wait for their leadership to respond ... I'm just a schmuck they dress up and feed beer to ... I do know that the BHOF I&E shows allow any type of instumentation to compete ... to date tough, they haven't been successful at enticing any band kids to show their stuff at a show ...

Andy "does a Hawaiian shirt go with a tux?" Lisko

Hey Eddie ... that's why I'm from the City and you're not ... LOL ...

As far as MCA reaching out to BBoA, you'll have to wait for their leadership to respond ... I'm just a schmuck they dress up and feed beer to ... I do know that the BHOF I&E shows allow any type of instumentation to compete ... to date tough, they haven't been successful at enticing any band kids to show their stuff at a show ...

Andy "does a Hawaiian shirt go with a tux?" Lisko

Andy,

we put out an invitation to every (75) school band in the region, to encourage their students to participate. No takers yet. But, it could be promoted farther ahead, and on a more personal level, in future years.

I think the I&E arena might be a way to bring some new folks in to check us out, if we can just get that started.

My thinking was to have separate categories, if anyone entered with concert instruments.

Edited by brassomaniac

You know what?

Star was better.

THEY BEAT YOU. (US).

DEAL WITH IT!!!!

Anything, ANYTHING said to the contrary plain and simple makes you a whiner. And there are people who've had contrary opinions who's opinion and friendship I very, VERY much value and love and do NOT want MY contrary opinion to be read into, even a little.

Minicorps is a free for all. ANYONE can compete, and ANYONE can win. If you want to beat Star, HERE ARE YOUR OPTIONS:

1) BE BETTER than them or shut up.

2) BE BETTER than them or become a whiner.

My oh so humble two cents.

Edited by ContraRich77