Rochester Review

Wow....just....wow.

Man, one person says something that isn't in a positive light and everyone jumps on them demanding an explanation.

I honestly don't think she "jump"all over him. As I stated before this is a discussion board and if you can't ask for an explanation (in a polite way like she did) then we might as well not use it. I have seen far worse attacks on other reviews. Reviews are open to post discussions. You are the one jumping all over her.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinion is an entitlement, but criticism carries the obligation of justification.

Much different then likes and dislikes, (opinion), these harsh comments imply facts that can be verified or disproved. Those being criticized also have rights. Their ankle injuries ENTITLE them.

Watch the videos, I'll get you the page numbers in the prelim and finals threads if you need. I don't see justification in his criticism now, nor did I when I saw ES live 2 times.

The right to an opinion does not afford the right to be innaccurate.

Truman is reinforcing my own points very well. And, he dug up a line from Dave's review that is rather telling: He claims the judges didn't cack ES for not moving. (Which in itself, is a very presumptuous line. If he didn't read the recaps, how does he know that? And if he did...) Without hearing the tapes and reading the sheets to know exactly what their pings were for, the two visual judges put ES 6th in Field and 5th in Ensemble. So, his statement that the judges glossed over ES' shortcomings is totally false.

Edited by Dale Bari

Although everyone is referencing her, none of my replies are towards her (I do apologize, as I have forgotten her DCP tag and her name.) Instead most of them are to the others who are demanding an explanation whether by using those words, or writing a 10 page dissertation on how I would give a response, then so should you and I'm just a great reviewer.

Edited by Kyle B

First, let me thank all the authors for writing reviews this season. I read them because I enjoy coming to DCP to stay in touch with the DCA community as much as anyone, and I would wager that they draw more attention/readership than any other type of post.

Taking a step back from the reviews and criticisms that often accompany them, one must realize that we are a passionate, yet somewhat closed audience of readership of alumni, participants, family, and uber-fans. Obviously, opinions are plentiful and varied, and reviews provide a crude set of mirrors for us to see ourselves through other’s eyes and ears. We all cherish validation for our efforts, especially from our competitors/peers.

Dale has accurately and precisely dissected some of the detailed pitfalls of writing reviews. There is no doubt about the difficultly in writing a review in what we all perceive as an impartial accounting and analysis without sounding like a biased adjudicator. Being NOT a journalist myself, I often find it difficult to write analysis/opinions without editorializing. People generally like to draw conclusions on their own, and by contrast, providing unsubstantiated conclusions (on very subjective matters) is often counterproductive to the quality and acceptance of the review.

If I had to characterize review readership in to two groups, I’d say there was a group of readers who genuinely appreciate an accurate accounting of the event; a word painting of what happened in a town far away. The second group or readership might be looking for praise and seeking to defend against negative assessments – often skipping the entire review to find their particular corps’ paragraphs. I’ll admit I’ve done both.

Likewise, I’d characterize two kinds of review writing styles: The first being an attempt at an accurate “accounting” of the shows and their features, with minimal editorial. And second, a “critical” review that is almost pure editorial opinion with loaded with praise and/or persecution. The obligations of writing a critique are obvious, which is why they are difficult to write and require a great degree of responsibility in reporting less credibility be lost and toes trampled.

I hope people continue to write reviews – I will assuredly read them. That’s what DCP is for… communication and community!

or writing a 10 page dissertation on how I would give a response, then so should you and I'm just a great reviewer.

I will assume, Kyle, that that statement is aimed at me.

First, stop putting your words into my mouth. In this thread, I've given my opinions on what makes a good review, but I've never stated that my way is the best way.

Second, I have written several reviews. Whether or not I have been or will be criticized, I will continue to do so. I have gotten many positive comments, esp ones that credit my ability to criticize without being "offensive". My record is clear. Why don't you try writing one and see how it goes for you?

Edit: Also, as I look back at my prior post, I wrote 7 paragraphs, only 2 of which dealt even obliquely with how I write reviews, and really only the second graf deals with how *I* would do something. That was a nice stab at using hyperbole, but I think your knife missed my jugular. (More like it sliced off a few strands of hair.)

Edited by Dale Bari

Although everyone is referencing her, none of my replies are towards her (I do apologize, as I have forgotten her DCP tag and her name.) Instead most of them are to the others who are demanding an explanation whether by using those words, or writing a 10 page dissertation on how I would give a response, then so should you and I'm just a great reviewer.

Kyle, stop.

This is not the Bushwacker way.

Don't take this as a shot, but hopefully my body has a few more years in me to march. After than we shall see.

Also, I know it is extremely hard work to write a review. I for one would have an extreme difficult time doing one. I'd probably have to take notes during the show just to remember. Once I write it, I'd actually try to be like you Dale, be as fair and equal as possible and be consistent. If I say something for one corps, do the same for the others.

However it's your last few posts that just seem out of place like telling people how to write one. Different writing styles for different people. I do apologize for my previous comment, I just want people to understand, not everyone would write the review the same way. Again, I apologize.