Stuart Shulman Joins Brass Staff of Magic of Mobile

Stuart Schulman kicks major butt. He is an asset wherever he goes, and you are lucky to have him.

Best of luck to you all!

Sorry for my ignorance does this drum corps have any connections with Magic (of Orlando)?

Thanks.

That's like asking if the Oregon Crusaders are related to the Boston Crusaders! :innocent:

On a more positive note, it looks like Magic of Mobile has it figured out very early. One of the things I've noticed about Open Class corps is that the ones with staff who marched World Class do significantly better. BDB and SCVC are obvious examples of this. But it's even better if the staff TAUGHT at a World Class corps, which is the case here. Another smart decision from what is quickly becoming one of my most respected corps!

Edited by MetalTones2012

One of the things I've noticed about Open Class corps is that the ones with staff who marched World Class do significantly better. BDB and SCVC are obvious examples of this.

Not to pull this thread off topic but... this theory does not always hold true. Some great instructors have come out of the ranks of old Div II/III corps and have never marched a day of their life in Div I. Those do exist you know. Instructors who have marched Div I and suck at teaching also exist. An instructor is only good if they know how to communicate concepts to students well. Marching experience means nothing if they cannot communicate knowledge back to their students. Yes, having marching experience exposes you to a lot of teaching methods but if you suck... you suck hah.

BDB and SCVC are good examples to your theory but what about these corps in previous years? I presume you chose these names because they came in 2nd and 1st this year. They were great in previous years but not close to a title. I assume you mean "significantly better" means coming close to a championship. Did they not have staff with world class experience those previous years? That question is not meant to be answered. I am sure they had plenty of instructors who had world class experience.

What makes a great instructing team is great instructors. Magic of Mobile may have some people on their staff no one has ever heard of, or people who have never marched corps before and have only taught bands, but if they're great educators and have the right information and can share that information effectively, then it doesn't really matter. Honestly, few names ring bells in my head on their team, but that doesn't really matter.

But back on topic, it looks like these guys are going in the right direction. It will be interesting to see news from their audition camps.

Magic of Orlando...

Magic of Mobile...

Silly me for putting them togeather..

The differance being Oregon and Boston have 3100 miles of seperation....Mobile and Orlando have 500...the 6 times distance between the Crusaders kinda makes it difficult to think they're the same group....the Magics are close enough that people might think Orlandomoved and restarted in Mobile.