Aungst @ Blue Stars

Sad to say, but I don't respect every organization in DCI, for various reasons. The Blue Stars organization is one that I have a LOT of respect for. I know someone who marched their first season of corps there this last year and he absolutely had a great experience.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people who have lived 25 years in concord who have never heard of the blue devils. I hate to say it , but our little activity doesnt always make its way out in your town no matter how much success you have.

This reminds me of my trip to everydays this summer:

I was on his way to camp from Minneapolis, where I live, and I stopped outside of La Crosse at a rest stop to take a break. I got to talking to the person who worked there, about where I was going and why and, not wanting to try to explain drum corps, I said I was on his way to 'an all-summer marching band'

Upon hearing this, the worker asked "oh, is that like what we have here, with the Blue Stars?"

edit for spelling

Edited by mn trumpter guy

I agree with you, but having been around the activity since 1977, I don't recall ever seeing so many high profile staff moving in one season, and for DIRECTORS to switch corps in the past few years would have been unheard of 10+ years ago.

Jim Jones switching to the Bridgemen? Gail Royer switching to the Blue Devils?

doubtful..... :thumbup:

Again, NOT referring to TA personally........but the activity in general.

as a consultant, how often is he required to be there?

if it's maybe 3/4 times, hey what the hell. still have plenty of time with the family, and he keeps his hand in the game a little bit. Trying to do a schedule like that would just have made it uncomfortable at cadets for all. it was time for a clean break, and here, he has a no pressure situation that most likely will not require a lot of his time

Nothing like buying competitive success. We all know how well that worked out for Capital Regiment.

hey you cant say that, it worked for Magic in 02....oh wait...wait a minute, that can't be right.....nevermind scratch i said that

I am glad for the Blue Stars. They have really come on strong these past few years. The fact that Aungst is willing to come on board says a great deal about the organization and Aungst as a person.

Why is it that few people get upset when a caption head/writer from one of the Top 6 moves to the staff of another corps in the Top 6? I think the reason that people are upset about this has to do more with the fact that the Blue Stars are seen as a lower level corps--I don't necessarily agree with that, just making a point. Additionally, I think it upsets people to think that there might be new blood at the top of the activity when a caption head/writer from one of the "elite" corps moves "down."

Congrats to the Blue Stars!

So is this just a move to say "We have Tom Aungst on our staff and you should give us more points because of that" or what? I'm just wondering if it will have the kind of effect that the Blue Stars are hoping for. Bring on a huge name in the percussion world and be able to drop his name in critique.

Nevermind the fact that the line might actually take another big step up and earn a higher score with Tom on board...

....Back on topic, I wonder how the new percussion star at Blue Stars will affect the kids currently in their line. Will Aungst's addition result in current BS kids losing spots to more experienced Cadets drummers who are "brand loyal" to Tom? That would be most unfortunate, imo. :thumbup:

I am guessing - none will move, and none will lose spots - they may be moved around to best fith the ensemble.

After having "been there, done that" at that level for only 8 years marching/teaching - I am amazed at the stamina of Tom and Neil. Not to forget the BD staff which has seen an entire generation of young people come through during their tenure.

What keeps these people fresh? Even wheel barrows of money cannot possible keep you motivated after a summer tour. (And we all know - these folks are not even making sandwich bags of money.) The bus rides, the gym floors, the shows, the judging, the other corps - my Aussie hat is off to them - all of them.

I think there is a reference perhaps back to 1981 when Tom Float was hired by BD from Spirit, and several of those drummers went with him. I think at that time, those kids from Spirit knew their odds were improving to win a drum trophy - which Spirit had come so close to doing from 1979-1981.

However, I think, with all due respect, none of the Cadets players will move - seeing as this is not a lateral move at this point in time.......but things could change in a year or two.

I positively think Tom will make BS a monster of a line - perhaps the best BS line of all time (BS had kick butt drumlines in the early 70's), and, he will do it with returning faces and fresh blood that want to play for both the Blue Stars, and for Tom.

For a young drummer - this is a win/win and I wish Tom the best. Lacrosse is a bit different than Dartmouth, or Allentown, Garfield or Bergen County.

By that rationale, Blue Stars are from Bloomington, not LaCrosse. If geographic auditions/camps make it easier for potential members to march at the corps of their choice, why isn't it a good thing?

The activity has changed, for better or worse. Many corps aren't as closely affiliated with their communities as they once were. This is not always the corps' fault; perhaps the hometown isn't as supportive as they once were. Garfield/Bergen County Cadets are a perfect example.

At the end of the day, as long as the corps puts on an enjoyable show, I really don't care where they hold their tryouts or camps.

Well, Blue Stars aren't the LaCrosse Blue Stars are they? Boston Crusaders. Having one audition camp in Boston for only about 40 people really doesn't do a corps justice when 20, 30 years ago their focus was working with membership from the community, the boston area. I'm not saying they should be pulling kids off the street like they used to but maybe 10 years ago they should have really established themselves in the region and worked with the talent in New England instead of taking an easier way out and reaching for membership outside of the region to make it into the top 12. Massachusetts drum corps fans are just bitter. That is why Crusader's get so much crap about how theyre "from Orlando" now. New England has had a drum corps dry spell for a long time when it comes to junior corps. Not counting crusaders there are only 4 DCI corps in all of New England, 6 states, serving approximately 200 kids total. Thousands used to be served. As the years go by fewer and fewer people in the area are familiar with drum corps. Crusaders had a responsibility in some peoples eyes to keep drum corps, the activity, alive in the area not diminish it even more.

sure, they have a "home" show...

Well, Blue Stars aren't the LaCrosse Blue Stars are they? Boston Crusaders. Having one audition camp in Boston for only about 40 people really doesn't do a corps justice when 20, 30 years ago their focus was working with membership from the community, the boston area. I'm not saying they should be pulling kids off the street like they used to but maybe 10 years ago they should have really established themselves in the region and worked with the talent in New England instead of taking an easier way out and reaching for membership outside of the region to make it into the top 12. Massachusetts drum corps fans are just bitter. That is why Crusader's get so much crap about how theyre "from Orlando" now. New England has had a drum corps dry spell for a long time when it comes to junior corps. Not counting crusaders there are only 4 DCI corps in all of New England, 6 states, serving approximately 200 kids total. Thousands used to be served. As the years go by fewer and fewer people in the area are familiar with drum corps. Crusaders had a responsibility in some peoples eyes to keep drum corps, the activity, alive in the area not diminish it even more.

sure, they have a "home" show...

Wow, you answered your own question. They hold a camp in Boston, and it gets 40 kids. Are they the ones failing new england, or is new england failing them. I doubt boston wanted to recruit in florida, but i dont think 40 members is going to do it...