When would DM's be counted as a performing member?

I did it this year. In fact, every DM at Shenandoah Sound did. I played contra for a song and Cecily & Tyler played in the pit for portions of the show.

I think the kind of entertainment typically seen from DMs like Dave Bruni and John Mayer should not be counted as it is more their "personality" than what is typically considered a "performance." However, in the event a drum major did character portrayal such as what Phantom did last year, I would think that should count, because there is little difference between that and what color guard performers do during parts of their show.

And I might add that they were a great asset to the performance, not simply filler to the infamous 35 rule! "Come Away with Me" called for a heavy dose of Contra, Cecily was right there in the backfield, smiling and keeping the sops in line during the "Shenandoah" closer and her and Tyler filled a void in a pit which Sound did not have last year. :whistle: Way to go guys! :shutup:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OUCH!!

Sam you just said that the Color Party doesn't count for anything?

"the honor guard stands off in the corner and is a seperate entity, contributing nothing to the actual performance"

I don't think you meant it quite that way... tell me it ain't so...

I know what he meant. They don't perform. (Of course, flag regulations dictate that they can't, really.) I also know what you mean about the DMs and their contributions. I guess it's good that it's defined this way though. Think about it... how do you define what constitutes a "contribution" on the podium? Unless you want to count ALL DMs in the total numbers. Which, when you think about it, kind of does make sense.

I know what he meant. They don't perform. (Of course, flag regulations dictate that they can't, really.) I also know what you mean about the DMs and their contributions. I guess it's good that it's defined this way though. Think about it... how do you define what constitutes a "contribution" on the podium? Unless you want to count ALL DMs in the total numbers. Which, when you think about it, kind of does make sense.

I agree with Tom P. " play a horn, drum or spin and you count... as acting part "

Also as Instructor and Member of the Heat Wave Honor Guard. It was made VERY CLEAR to us. IF you move in anyway DURING the time the Corps was on the Field, YOU WILL be counted as a PART of the SHOW. AND will be JUDGED as such. So you had better make sure you followed ALL" USA / DCA " Flag Codes and Rules. BUT, Otherwise the Honor Guard is only judged an honorary type award. (Whoever they like BEST type thing. No real score that I know of.)

OUCH!!

Sam you just said that the Color Party doesn't count for anything?

"the honor guard stands off in the corner and is a seperate entity, contributing nothing to the actual performance"

I don't think you meant it quite that way... tell me it ain't so...

They aren't part of the PERFORMANCE unit being judged...they're doing their own separate gig guarding the colors....but unless they actively participate in the judged program, they should not count in the numbers.

Sam, your post offends the many fine folks that perform with all corps as a member of the honor guard. You owe those folks an immediate and sincere apology. Sorry, but your flippant dismissal of their efforts is rude and unnecessary.

Also, why would we want to count those folks anyway - if we don't count them, there's room for more horn players!

Sam, your post offends the many fine folks that perform with all corps as a member of the honor guard. You owe those folks an immediate and sincere apology. Sorry, but your flippant dismissal of their efforts is rude and unnecessary.

Sorry Sam................I have to wholeheartedly agree with Mr Nalls.

Not ONLY is your flippant dismissal of their worth rude and unnecessary, the TRUE error lies in your DANGEROUS dismissal of their worth..........or DETRIMENT......not only rude or unecessary, but DANGEROUS.

The HONOR GUARD, if led and/or instructed IMPROPERLY, has the power to ELIMINATE and send into NEGATIVE NUMBERS the score of their corps proper.

NEVER FORGET THAT. Let's hope that "En Garde" never suffers that horror.

I've learned that I've aged to the point that I'm typically the U.S. Flag Code expert at an event, including some Championships, unless Jerald Sheets is there to accompany me or most of the DCA staff.

I ain't gonna say what first came to mind.