THE defining thing that won Regiment a championship!

Hey, I heard there were secret signals delivered by text message to the phans to intimidate the judges and mob the sidelines if they didn't get their way - - and I even heard that a severed horse head was placed in Dan Acheson's bed . . . :worthy:

They won fair and square. Get over it.

eh, that didn't work in 2006, so there's no reason to think it should have worked in 2008, either. :laugh:

:thumbup:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not convinced it should have won. I never paid much attention to the visual program because it didn't do much for me. Same with the theatrics. But, it's my favorite music program and performance of the 2000s pretty easily, and I'm happy they got a ring for it. I hope it's a harbinger of things to come for DCI.

Ok - you can't say you aren't convinced they should have won if you didn't pay attention to the visual program.

And actually - the judging panel did NOT favor them, because everyone knows Lee Carlson would dip Phantom in Vis. GE and he did (Phantom won overall GE in quarters and semis, but then Lee had them in 3rd on Finals which dipped them into 2nd). I knew it from looking at the judging panel leading into finals, that Lee would move them lower than the other GE judges had during the weekend....................however, ol' Lee didn't dip them enough because.............

They won.........the judges scores averaged together had them higher than every other corps..........and it's because that's how the system works.

They had loads of talent, an awesome show, and got hot at the right time. Simple as that.

Ok - you can't say you aren't convinced they should have won if you didn't pay attention to the visual program.

OK - so I just watched the show again and paid more attention to the visual program and performance, and I'm even more unconvinced that the show should have won. Love the music, though, and it will be the track that I play most from this year's CDs. And like I said, I'm glad it did win.

OK - so I just watched the show again and paid more attention to the visual program and performance, and I'm even more unconvinced that the show should have won. Love the music, though, and it will be the track that I play most from this year's CDs. And like I said, I'm glad it did win.

I agree except the part where you are glad they won. Visually it was a bag (relative to their placement). The guard was a big glob of purple moving around with no definition and the drill was pretty uninspired.

The extra murders! Any more and they would have to change the show name to Hamlet ! :-)

:rolleyes:

Spartacus was all about the carnage. Phantom made it obvious they would just keep offing people until they got the title--and that the next one to get it might just have been wearing a green collared shirt and tan slacks.

(runs and hides)

Phantom won because they deserved to win. Their show was designed just a little bit better than the only other corps that could have conceivably won (Devils), and the show with the better design will always get my vote and appreciation.

But if you're looking for a real, solid, tangible reason why Regiment won, here's your answer....

Devils took 5th in percussion that night.

If their drummers had beaten Bluecoats, then BD would have 13 titles and Regiment would still have 1. But they didn't, and the Phantom Regiment, as an overall whole corps, pulled it out.

Edited by ouooga

I could not agree more....Phantom owned the field from the moment they entered the field to the moment the last spectator left the stadium. Great drums corps is about passion which is the key to great performance. Phantom won because every one of their members left their hearts on the field.

The numbers don’t lie either.... You're on the mark ouooga!

Devils took 5th in percussion that night.

Percussion coupled with 4th in Music Ensemble mean 4th in Music on finals night which makes for an unlikely win. We’ve seen this before in much more profound sense in the past. Take a look at the recaps from 1981 DCI Finals (I’m sure there are other examples). Yea, yea...3 decades ago I know, I was there so it stays in my mind.

Don't get me wrong, BD percussion was excellent this year and has been superbly strong in the Scojo era (thank you scott). I also believe BD peaked a week to two days earlier. Phantom also peaked at the right time and with a show that had all the elements and passion to bring home a hard earned championship.

So there were many factors that came into play. The most important is that Phantom brought the goods, without that...its championship 13 for BD.

Congratulations to all the corps for a great season. There were some smokin shows this year in and out of finals.

Edited by devsabre