hazing/misconduct

I sure never saw a link to the BC's "incident". Would you mind pointing it out to those of us who missed it. I searched DCP keyword as well. Not out to get the Bluecoats, just curious what you are referring to.

The blucoats incident is just one of MANY I witnessed or was told about from no less than 4 other corps. It seems that there is just a shift in general in the behavior of members. Now this could just be a fluke that all of this occured in the same year, unlike previous years where the incidents have been much more isolated, but I don't think it is. I think there is pressure on the administration of corps to have a more "cool" atmosphere and be more hands off disciplinary wise. Doing whatever it takes to attract more talent. Personally, I couldn't stand it. I don't care who you are or how good you are, you get s-faced on corps time and youre in for it. It's up to the corps to balance outside perception with competitive achievement. Unfortunately in this country we tend to react to events rather than spot trends and nip things in the bud. Hopefully, the behavior of members of those corps at finals this year will be the event that spurs those changes. No corps should have to feel like they are sacrificing talent because they have rules.

The blucoats incident is just one of MANY I witnessed or was told about from no less than 4 other corps. It seems that there is just a shift in general in the behavior of members. Now this could just be a fluke that all of this occured in the same year, unlike previous years where the incidents have been much more isolated, but I don't think it is. I think there is pressure on the administration of corps to have a more "cool" atmosphere and be more hands off disciplinary wise. Doing whatever it takes to attract more talent. Personally, I couldn't stand it. I don't care who you are or how good you are, you get s-faced on corps time and youre in for it. It's up to the corps to balance outside perception with competitive achievement. Unfortunately in this country we tend to react to events rather than spot trends and nip things in the bud. Hopefully, the behavior of members of those corps at finals this year will be the event that spurs those changes. No corps should have to feel like they are sacrificing talent because they have rules.

Wwhhaatt wwweeerrreee the incidents?? Simple question. I don't really care about UW band or I would be on thier website.

Wwhhaatt wwweeerrreee the incidents?? Simple question. I don't really care about UW band or I would be on thier website.

Sorry, but this is a thread about the UW band. Its really very simple. Either look through this thread for one of the many times someone has linked to the bluecoats finals thread. If that sounds overly complicated to you, then type something using the words 'bluecoats' 'finals' 'drunk' and/or 'retreat' into dcp's search function, and im guessing you will find what you need. While you're at it, go into a Philadelphia Eagles thread on ESPN.com, and ask them what happened at the 2003 world series. Be sure to let them know that you dont care about their team...if you did, you would just go to the official website :blink:

Well that explains a little more. Sounds like stuff that happened on the sax or t-bone bus from my college days.

Sorry, but this is a thread about the UW band. Its really very simple.

Actually it's not.(or at least it's not meant to be)

I was actually just mentioning a situation that happened to a group similar to drum and bugle corps that resulted in unwanted consequences, and trying to start a discussion about similar situations that have occurred in DCI. So far it's kinda on track...but after all, this is DCP.

Actually it's not.(or at least it's not meant to be)

I was actually just mentioning a situation that happened to a group similar to drum and bugle corps that resulted in unwanted consequences, and trying to start a discussion about similar situations that have occurred in DCI. So far it's kinda on track...but after all, this is DCP.

Yeah, but i somehow doubt you want the entire thread derailed because someone starts talking about finals retreat incidents again... I mean, it is somewhat related, but its not that hard to look up if someone really wants to know.

Sorry, but this is a thread about the UW band. Its really very simple. Either look through this thread for one of the many times someone has linked to the bluecoats finals thread. If that sounds overly complicated to you, then type something using the words 'bluecoats' 'finals' 'drunk' and/or 'retreat' into dcp's search function, and im guessing you will find what you need. While you're at it, go into a Philadelphia Eagles thread on ESPN.com, and ask them what happened at the 2003 world series. Be sure to let them know that you dont care about their team...if you did, you would just go to the official website :blink:

Well someone initially mentioned the Bluecoats. Sorry that I am not very computer savvy. I looked under several things, someone mentioned looking under finals retreat. I didn't realize that their were other corps under fire. I just kept searching drunk, vomiting Bluecoats. Never found a thing. Don't remember what happened in baseball 6 years ago as I was raising 3 kids, all boys, so I do care about baseball, and will certainly look it up. I also have or had a child, a drummer, who marched DCI 4 years, each year he has mentioned something that has happened at retreat, sounded like friendly heckling between corps standing next to each other. It does so happen that he was an ageout with the aformentioned corp this year. He was with our family, stone-cold sober, eating pizza shortly after retreat. In the time frame prior to that he was saying good bye to his girlfriend from another corp. We as a family left as soon as the scores were announced, as we personally find all of that standing around time very boring. I agree with someone back in the August threads that I read tonight, about several things. The most important being, forget the horn players, and I have two sons who play horns, get the drums going, people dancing in the stands and it wouldn't be boring and time for "stuff" going on during retreat. Another, do the drum really play higher and lower "notes" in America the beautiful? And if someone can fire a jolly rancher hard enough to dent a drum corps horn, the maybe "they" should be playing baseball instead of the drums! We found out about the one kid right off the bat, my child wasn't drunk, throwing up, or passing out, so why would you assume that any 21 year old, or group of them has control over what any other 21 year old does.

I just read Dave's apology tonight as well, and after spending two full weeks with them at their training camp, I can assure you that the BC director and director of operations, attemp to run a very tight ship. However if someone needs a babysitter, perhaps they should stay home with their mommy.