hazing/misconduct

Can someone tell exactly what the Bluecoats did and when? We have been able to read about the UW band, and the New Mexico football players, now that was really disgusting. but since this is Drum Corps Planet, what about the Bluecoats? Is is a secret?

Everyone knows what a school marching band is, but Drum Corps is an activity that the general public knows very little about, which can tend to lead to a feeling of isolation, which in turn can produce an attitude of mutual protection. I don't know all the details of what happened with the above mentioned corps, but even if I did I wouldn't tell you even if they were my rivals. Sometimes you have to keep your mouth shut and take care of your own.

Can someone tell exactly what the Bluecoats did and when? We have been able to read about the UW band, and the New Mexico football players, now that was really disgusting. but since this is Drum Corps Planet, what about the Bluecoats? Is is a secret?

sent you a PM with links to DCP threads

More over the top behaviour - the director is filing a complaint against his own band, apparently he has little back up from the administration.

Director files complaint about UC Davis band

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../MNM7135E1B.DTL

Wow. Interesting detail gleaned from this article:

"Jackson State University, Mississippi: Probation for forcing musicians who played their parts incorrectly to do push-ups, 2007."

Is that considered "hazing" in some circles?

you should see the list that goes out to greek groups as to what constitutes hazing. breathing is basically hazing. lol

DC's can't go have a beer after rehearsal today. The top ensembles require tip-top conditioning. Will anyone make the argument that having a beer after rehearsal helps that? Didn't think so. The top ensembles simply don't have the time after rehearsal to do so since they have to leave to get to the show site and go through all the warm-up stuff, etc. And going to have a beer just doesn't strike me as being a part of the equation for a champion. Just my hunch. And how many members in corps outside the top/elite corps are 21? Heck, how many in the elite corps are 21? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I am not comparing the responsible use of alcohol to the behavior being described which led to the UW marching band suspension. That having been said, I will go out on a limb and say that I do, in fact, think that having a beer or three after rehearsal helps make champions. There is an intangible quality that extremely high level units possess in addition to discipline, talent, dedication, etc. That quality is unit cohesion and you don't get it by having knitting circles after practice. Alcohol is a powerful cultural uniter, we toast each others health, success in marriage and business and war and to our children. We drink to our fallen comrades and to friends lost over the years. I know that this will sound odd to those who have only known the PC, "for the children", infantilized time in which we live now, but not all that long ago we were not "kids" at 18 years old and shockingly were trusted with *GASP* beer. Those many many beers, shared all those years ago were an invaluable part of my drum corps experience and I suspect played an important part in building a cohesive, brotherhood of champions.

so I found out about this about an hour ago

Wisconsin Band Suspended

--------

"The University of Wisconsin marching band has been suspended indefinitely while allegations of alcohol abuse and sexual misconduct are investigated.

The band was not allowed to play Saturday during a U.S. college football game between the No. 18 Badgers and No. 14 Ohio State at Camp Randall Stadium.

The university made the announcement at a news conference Friday, saying the behavior..."

--------

The scary thing is that I've heard of corps doing some things like this(recent story of Bluecoats drinking and such).

Feel free to discuss...

I've gotta be honest here.............reading the article in the above link made me want to join the University of Wisconsin marching band.

I am not comparing the responsible use of alcohol to the behavior being described which led to the UW marching band suspension. That having been said, I will go out on a limb and say that I do, in fact, think that having a beer or three after rehearsal helps make champions. There is an intangible quality that extremely high level units possess in addition to discipline, talent, dedication, etc. That quality is unit cohesion and you don't get it by having knitting circles after practice. Alcohol is a powerful cultural uniter, we toast each others health, success in marriage and business and war and to our children. We drink to our fallen comrades and to friends lost over the years. I know that this will sound odd to those who have only known the PC, "for the children", infantilized time in which we live now, but not all that long ago we were not "kids" at 18 years old and shockingly were trusted with *GASP* beer. Those many many beers, shared all those years ago were an invaluable part of my drum corps experience and I suspect played an important part in building a cohesive, brotherhood of champions.

I couldn't agree more.

And, you're making me thirsty, and it's not even noon!

That having been said, I will go out on a limb and say that I do, in fact, think that having a beer or three after rehearsal helps make champions. There is an intangible quality that extremely high level units possess in addition to discipline, talent, dedication, etc. That quality is unit cohesion and you don't get it by having knitting circles after practice.

Amen. Wake up, practice hard, get in the zone, warm up, perform, drink a few beers on the bus. That was the usual routine for my friends and I, and we were extremely tight and performed very well.

At times, it is overdone, and Finals retreat 2008 is an example of that. The Bluecoats drumline was full of age-outs with tons of years of experience who had been frustrated all summer by drum corps issues that were out of our control. Retreat was our last hoorah, the last time when we were all together at the same place at the same time. Some of our acts were regrettable however, and ever since that night those responsible have been dealing with the repercussions. Hope that clears some stuff up too.

Thanks!