Will Wall St effect Corps membership

With 401k's and a lot of nest eggs going south..... Does anyone else think it may be tougher to get members to participate in corps in 2009.

Also, I think the donations and sponsorships will probably be down next year with the cost of living skyrocketing.

I hope I'm wrong but we all know what it cost to join corps these days.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a whole lot of things are going to get tougher, and yes it will affect drum corps. No way it can't.

But right now, while keeping the activity going is a definite priority, keeping folks employed, housed and fed, in general, is the ball everyone needs to have their eye on.

Hopefully lowering gas prices will help out some =) its down to like $2.80 something where i am =)

Drum corps has survived tough economic times before, albeit with a lot less corps around. The survival plan may include less touring and more regional competition, but it's better than folding the tents completely.

I've been an advocate of sharing resources for a long time. There's no reason why tour managers can't get together and share resources like housing, food sources, transportation, etc.. Yes, it would require a lot of cooperation, but the benefits would be worth it, IMO. Plus, think of the bonding between corps!

Garry in Vegas

The economy and its state could be a good thing for drum corps and DCI based on adjustments that must be made and really should have been made years ago.

Making the tour a Regional focus rather then expecting MOST drum corps that really can't afford it to tour nationally has been the rule of DCI over the years which is some part helped eliminate some great teams the simply traveled beyond that corps means because of the pressure put on them. Now each corps should take a stand and create more of the PC, Mandarins, Academy and Surf approach to the activity keeping them around for years to come.

My two cents........

JVN

The economy and its state could be a good thing for drum corps and DCI based on adjustments that must be made and really should have been made years ago.

Making the tour a Regional focus rather then expecting MOST drum corps that really can't afford it to tour nationally has been the rule of DCI over the years which is some part helped eliminate some great teams the simply traveled beyond that corps means because of the pressure put on them. Now each corps should take a stand and create more of the PC, Mandarins, Academy and Surf approach to the activity keeping them around for years to come.

My two cents........

JVN

Regional tours would be a great Idea the only thing is there are no show sponsors in Northern NJ anymore. Back in the 70's there use to be about 9 shows a summer maybe 4 of those show's were sponsored by Drum corps. Now there is only 1 show in Northern NJ sponsored by the Cadets. DCI would have to work with local organizations to get them to sponsor shows.

Its going to be a long year for everyone, Non-profit organizations (like Drum Corps) included. I know corps will be strapped for money but members will too.

I would expect low turnout for audition camps first off. I would also guess that corps will consider having regional camps. Some corps may benefit from this with a boost in numbers. I.e. people will consider marching a corps in their area (state) as opposed to traveling across country.

With 401k's and a lot of nest eggs going south..... Does anyone else think it may be tougher to get members to participate in corps in 2009.

Also, I think the donations and sponsorships will probably be down next year with the cost of living skyrocketing.

I hope I'm wrong but we all know what it cost to join corps these days.

I'm sure it will, but also depending on what corps (or format) a indivdual chooses to pursue membership in.

It may not be the actual lose of value in 401k's or nest eggs in some cases, but rather simply being cautionary with spending, in other words a mind set of the glass now being half empty rather than half full.

The Kilties (although a DCA and DCI-Central corps), as example, are very "keep the expenses down" orientated for the membership and the organization as a whole, and have been for quite a few years.

Thus, we have been able to maintain all the membership's value for their dollar; and have actually even lowered (what we call) "shares" (others may call them dues, tour fees, etc.) cost by $25.00 per year.

What once was $325 a season, was dropped to $300 per season. True, The Kilties are a weekend only format.....but the annual "shares" still include coach travel to out of area performances, 80% of meals, and housing at out of area events; plus equipment, uniforms, instruction, etc., so it can be done without offering less to the membership. In our case, we actually offer more than say, 4 or 5 years ago.

I do think what may really be affected are the show sponsors themselves and if they can get corporate/community support financially to cover the costs of hosting a event.

Funding may be very, very "tight" on the corporate level, and even simple things like getting program book ads from small local businesses may be a deciding challenge also. Simply housing corps (as example) for a event can be the "make or break" expense alone for a show sponsor.

Time will tell............