Auditioning for more than one corps.

Well, I have never marched world class before, and I want to this year. The problem is- I want to check out more than one to see which one I would like, or which one I would be better suited for. (maybe I am not ready for a certain corps, who knows?) But is it considered "bad" to audition for more than one? I mean, going to camps for both of them... seems kinda rough. What if both of them offer you a spot? You have to choose one, and then the one you don't choose, you went to their camps for what seems like for no reason. So, is it a good idea?

I don't think there's anything wrong with auditioning corps while they audition you. You spend too much time and energy to not do due diligence on where you want to march.

If you've got a couple in mind, try out for both and see who fits you the best.

I don't think there's anything wrong with auditioning corps while they audition you. You spend too much time and energy to not do due diligence on where you want to march.

If you've got a couple in mind, try out for both and see who fits you the best.

Agreed. I think its perfectly ok. Keep in mind, odds are unless you've never played your instrument for, they probably wont cut you, but will let you come back and see how you've improved. If youre serious about that corps, you dont wanna miss a call back. That being said, the different corps' camps probably have a decent chance of falling on the same weekend. seems thats always how it works out :blink: . So it's up to you to decide which one you really want to play for, and go for it.

But you don't want to wear another corps t-shirt at a corps you are auditioning for, especially if they're competitive with said corps.
I'll be that jerk who wears a phantom '08 shirt to a BD camp....

Which of course, I won't REALLY be, because I don't plan to go to phantom OR bd camps...

Also, thanks for the advice, guys. It looks like at least the first camps are working with each other. I will look into the future camps too.

edit- There is just one camp conflict in December...

Edited by crazymello

do the corps have 1 camp in december each? If one of them has 2, then that should help you pick which one to go to. Or, maybe you will have a really good idea of where things stand after November camps (formally, or informally), or maybe from the November camps you will decide that one of the corps is really not for you, and the conflict is no longer a conflict.

As long as you don't walk in talking about the other corps and how you're checking out both, I don't think you'll run into any problems. I think finding where you fit in is great because it can have quite an impact on your summer. Why go somewhere and be miserable? You'd bring the people around you down. Essentially, you would be "that guy" in a different respect.

It can be difficult. Choose the corps you would most like to be a part of, most likely a top tier corps, and focus most of your energy there. If you want it, show it! Practice hard, and do what you can to prove you belong there. It was a challenge for me the first time I auditioned for my corps, but I proved beyond a doubt that I belonged there. The unfortunate situation is that you could easily last until March or April before you are offered a contract, as was my case. I was signed in April...that's getting late in the season. At that point if indeed you do get cut, your chances of getting into another top tier corps are not excellent. Not impossible, just improbable. There are plenty of corps outside of the top 12 (and maybe some in the top 12 with the new allowance for 150 members) who will still be looking for members that late in the season, even through move-ins. If it gets to that point, inquire everywhere you think you would like to be via email or phone calls as to whether or not they are still filling spots. I know people that showed up at move-ins, having never been to an audition for that corps, and were given a spot. No corps wants to turn people away, but a lot of them have to. There will ALWAYS be a place for you to march, even if it isn't your first, or maybe even second choice.

So my suggestion is if you are interested in the top 12 (or potential top 12 corps) try to pick one to focus your energy on, that is your best bet IMO. Have anpther one in mind but for your own benefit don't necessarily focus on the top 12, and then only look in that direction if the need arises. My wife auditioned for 3 corps in person, then another 2 or 3 by video tape, before finding a spot in the corps she marched in. She only had her rook-out year so she wasn't taking "no" for an answer! She was among the unfortunate who didn't discover drum corps until she was 20 years old, but she still got to march.

I know of someone who auditioned for four corps last season until the right fit was found.

Each corps has a different "inside vibe" and sometimes you don't know it until you show up.

Just don't advertise your plans, and be respectful.

There's nothing wrong with going to camps for more than one corps. Last season I had my heart set on Corps A, but when I showed up to camp, I just wasn't feeling it. Some friends dragged me to camp for Corps B, that I wasn't initially interested in at all. I ended up falling in love and am returning this year for sure.

You may surprise yourself with what you find you like and don't like about some corps. Just make sure you don't talk about other corps while you're at camp! That's a big no-no.